High School to College Transition

In summary, most people find high school boring, but find their passion for college courses when they start taking more advanced classes.
Razael
Hello, I usually just read the threads and watch the lectures on the forums so I haven't really had a reason to sign up until now. Given an academic guidance sub-forum I figured I'd give my question a try.

Did anyone of you find high school boring, but come into your own during college? When I apply myself I do the work well, but most of what I'm doing in high school has nothing to do with my current major of choice (neurology/medicine). Lately however, taking more advanced classes (college level calculus, chemistry, etc) I've found an interest in these previously dull fields. Was I not challenged enough? Was I just lazy? Did anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, and nice meeting you all. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physics forums =]

In general most high school courses don't have any "depth" to them so don't be surprised that you're not mentally stimulated. It will be mostly like that until you reach a junior in college then you get down to the good stuff - and that's just the beginning.

In all honesty I have not had the chance to be mentally stimulated by my work yet, high school is no exception. Currently I'm sophomore level and am so anxious to be a junior next semester so that I can actually start doing "real" work. So your problem isn't an isolated one, nor are you lazy. Many bright students have that problem, you're not alone =] Just keep chugging along until you get where you want to be, you won't regret it.

Razael said:
Did anyone of you find high school boring, but come into your own during college? When I apply myself I do the work well, but most of what I'm doing in high school has nothing to do with my current major of choice (neurology/medicine). Lately however, taking more advanced classes (college level calculus, chemistry, etc) I've found an interest in these previously dull fields. Was I not challenged enough? Was I just lazy? Did anyone else have this problem?

No worries, Physics was very boring in high school, because we did such a poor job of covering it. My first year Mechanics and E&M have been incredible though. Interest is through the roof =D

Yeah, I was about as unmotivated as they come during high school. We're talking ~20% homework average in most of my classes, never once studied for a test/final, etc. because I just didn't care. I still managed to get into a good college, and then once I started taking my physics classes motivation shot through the roof and now I'm all set to make my second 4.0 in a row taking all physics and math classes. So, don't worry, it's pretty typical.

Razael said:

I was the same way. For me, I didn't start enjoying math until I got to calculus in high school. With science, I didn't take a real interest in them until I started taking AP Chem. After learning in depth about topics general classes don't cover, it can be pretty fascinating.

Well, that's good to know. Here's to a 4.0 in college.

High school was uninteresting to me. Incompetent teachers, being stuck in a math class that was 2 notches below than my actual math level [ we weren't allowed to skip ], plus a barrage of busywork every night made me dislike high school.

I started attending a community college alongside high school and it was certainly a better experience.

I loved college when I first started. In high school I was taught to memorize very stupid things about magnets and electrostatics, like which way they rotate in the field. It is much clearer when studied in the context of cross products.

Super interesting problem sets... or handing in colored title pages? Hmm... let me think.

1. What are the major differences between high school and college?

The major differences between high school and college include academic expectations, level of independence, and classroom structure. In college, students are expected to take more responsibility for their own learning and time management, and the courses are more challenging and require more critical thinking skills. Additionally, college classes are typically larger and more lecture-based, whereas high school classes tend to be smaller and more interactive.

2. How can students prepare for the transition from high school to college?

Students can prepare for the transition from high school to college by setting realistic academic goals, developing good study habits, and practicing time management skills. It is also important for students to familiarize themselves with the resources and support services offered by their college, such as tutoring and academic advising.

3. What challenges do students typically face during the transition to college?

Some common challenges students face during the transition to college include adjusting to a new academic environment, managing a more rigorous workload, and adapting to a new social setting. Many students also struggle with homesickness and feeling overwhelmed, especially during their first year.

4. How can parents support their child during the transition to college?

Parents can support their child during the transition to college by encouraging open communication, providing emotional support, and offering practical advice. It is important for parents to listen to their child's concerns and help them problem-solve, while also allowing them to take ownership of their own decisions and experiences.

5. What are some ways students can make a successful transition to college?

Some ways students can make a successful transition to college include getting involved in campus activities and organizations, seeking out mentors or upperclassmen for guidance, and actively participating in class. It is also important for students to prioritize self-care and seek help when needed, whether it be from professors, counselors, or friends.