Unit vectors in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, this person is suggesting that you take the square root of each component squared (added together) to get the norm of the position vector. Thanks for the help!
Starproj
Does anyone know a good sight that explains, step-by-step, how to derive unit vectors in spherical coordinates? I am at that unfortunate place where I have been looking at it for so long I know the answer from sheer memorization, but don't understand the derivation. From the definitions I am looking at, each unit vector is a derivative of the vector r wrt the unit vector in question divided by the absolute value of the same derivative (as described at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html). It is the denominator that is throwing me off.

Can anyone help before I lose my mind?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, the denominator is not the absolute value. Its the norm... or in other words the magnitude, or in other words the vector norm, or in other words the L2-norm if u want to talk about linear algebra.

This means you take the square root of each component squared (added together)

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Norm.html

In this case, the norm of the position vector must be 1... since the derivative of the vector wrt the variables in question is the unit vector.

hi there,
actually the vector of spherical coordinate depens on which parameter u wish to represent,
for example in euclid, or in riemann the presentation of the vector of a particular coord system would be different,
i suggest u pick up a fundamental study in position vector in euclid before this,

the equation in mathforums at (71) onward are the one who is using the spherical coordinate system to derive, in this case i,j,k component is presented as r, detta, sigma components respectively.
It's only a matter of how you select and define your components.

Ok, this is fairly trivial.

Assume that some vector [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] (dependent on some independent variables) has unit size irrespective of the values of the independent variables, i.e:
[tex]\vec{u}^{2}=1(1)[/tex]

Then, labeling an independent variable as [itex]x_{i}[/itex], we get by differentiating (1) wrt. to that variable:
[tex]2\frac{\partial\vec{u}}{\partial{x}_{i}}\cdot\vec{u}=0[/itex], i.e, the derivatives of the unit vector are orthogonal to it!

Thus, starting out with the radial vector,
[tex]\vec{i}_{r}=\sin\phi\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\phi\sin\theta\vec{j}+\cos\phi\vec{k}[/tex], we perform the two differentiations here:
[itex]\frac{\partial\vec{i}_{r}}{\partial\phi}=\cos\phi\cos\theta\vec{i}+\cos\phi\sin\theta\vec{j}-\sin\phi\vec{k}=\vec{i}_{\phi}[/tex]
and:
[tex]\frac{\partial\vec{i}_{r}}{\partial\theta}=\sin\phi(-\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{j})=\sin\phi\vec{i}_{\theta}[/itex]

where the appropriate forms of the unit vectors [itex]\vec{i}_{\phi},\vec{i}_{\theta}[/itex] have been indicated.

Nick Bruno said:
hi, the denominator is not the absolute value. Its the norm... or in other words the magnitude, or in other words the vector norm, or in other words the L2-norm if u want to talk about linear algebra.

This means you take the square root of each component squared (added together)

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Norm.html

In this case, the norm of the position vector must be 1... since the derivative of the vector wrt the variables in question is the unit vector.

Thanks for your input - I get it now! I grinded through the math with a few simple trig substitutions and got the answers provided.

I appreciate you taking the time to relpy.

lol, hey do not ignore the contribution from arildno,
as i said you need to have some fundamental concept before coming to this, and arildno is giving you the real deriving of it.

1. What are unit vectors in spherical coordinates?

Unit vectors in spherical coordinates are a set of three vectors, denoted by er, , and , that are used to define directions in a three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to describe the position and orientation of objects.

2. How are unit vectors in spherical coordinates calculated?

Unit vectors in spherical coordinates can be calculated using the following formulas:
er = cosθcosφ, = sinθcosφ, and = sinφ.
These formulas use the angles θ and φ, which represent the polar and azimuthal angles, respectively.

3. What is the purpose of using unit vectors in spherical coordinates?

Unit vectors in spherical coordinates are used to simplify calculations involving direction and orientation in three-dimensional space. They can also be used to convert between different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian and spherical coordinates.

4. Can unit vectors in spherical coordinates be negative?

No, unit vectors in spherical coordinates are always positive. They represent directions, not magnitudes, so they cannot have a negative value.

5. How are unit vectors in spherical coordinates related to the unit sphere?

Unit vectors in spherical coordinates are tangent to the unit sphere at a specific point. This means that their magnitude is always equal to 1, and they lie on the surface of the unit sphere.