Worry about my carrer after college

• Thread starter shonick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the speaker is an electrical engineering student who is worried about not remembering much about their field and struggling to find a job due to lack of experience. They are considering changing their major but do not want to prolong their studies. They are seeking advice on how to improve their practical skills and find a job.
shonick
I'm an electrical engineer. I'm going to graduate next semester with bachelor degree. But for now, it seems that I don't know much about any thing about engineering field. Is this normal?

Right now, I look back everything about myself. It seems that I don't remember much about what I already learned, eventhough, I got A in most of my courses.

When I look at the job search, they require a lot of stuff that I have never seen before, I wonder how new graduate student like me find a job? Also, Most of the job require experience which new student like me does not have.

Do you think it is normal that I don't remember stuff which I learn in the past? While studying it, I did very well, but now, I forget a lot. It like, I forget them after a year. How can I work if I don't remember it?

While searching on the internet, I encounter about some stuff such as datasheet . In the school, we never used anything call datasheet in class. When I look at it, about 90% of that information, which I don't know or forgot. Is that normal?

I'm so worry about it. I even thought that, electrical engineering is not my major. And this may lead me to change to computer science. But, I don't want to change it, since, this is my first semester of my senor year, if I change it, it will take me an extra 2 years to finish computer science.

Could anyone please give me advise and anything relate to it?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
shonick said:
But for now, it seems that I don't know much about any thing about engineering field. Is this normal?
Uh yeah. It just means that you didn't do internships or pay attention to the stuff going on around you. If you're in the US, go to your school's IEEE chapter and talk to the guys there.

When I look at the job search, they require a lot of stuff that I have never seen before, I wonder how new graduate student like me find a job?
Career fairs and internships are the usual methods for finding really entry level jobs.

How can I work if I don't remember it?
I'm taking E&M now and it's all math I haven't seen in 4 years. I totally forget the math, so I looked up how to do it and it's slowly coming back to me. My point is that it doesn't really matter if you forgot how to do something, so long as you can teach/remind yourself how to do it again.

When I look at it, about 90% of that information, which I don't know or forgot. Is that normal?
Well considering that a data sheet is device specific and you've probably never used that device, sure. Data sheets are just reference tables; you need to know how to use them, but don't sweat the details.

I think you'd benefit a lot from doing an internship or getting involved with some sort of project or competition, 'cause it seems like your practical skills are sorely lacking.

1. What can I do to make sure I have a successful career after college?

There are several steps you can take to ensure a successful career after college. First, make sure you choose a major or field of study that aligns with your interests and strengths. Secondly, gain practical experience through internships, part-time jobs, or volunteering. Network with professionals in your desired field and build relationships. Lastly, continuously update your skills and knowledge through additional education or training.

2. How important is GPA in determining my future career success?

GPA can be a factor in some career fields, but it is not the only determining factor. Employers also consider your skills, experience, and extracurricular activities. A high GPA may open up more opportunities for internships or graduate school, but it is not the sole indicator of future success.

3. What if I don't have a clear career path after college?

It's okay if you don't have a clear career path after college. Many people change careers multiple times throughout their lives. Take the time to explore your interests, gain experience in different fields, and seek guidance from career counselors or mentors. You can also consider taking career assessments to help you identify potential career paths.

4. Is it necessary to have a job lined up before graduating college?

It is not necessary to have a job lined up before graduating college, but it can be beneficial. If you have a job lined up, you can start earning a salary sooner and gain valuable experience. However, it is also common to begin your job search after graduation. Just make sure to utilize your college's career services and network to increase your chances of landing a job.

5. How can I balance my personal life and career after college?

Balancing your personal life and career after college can be challenging, but it is possible. Prioritize your commitments and make time for both your personal life and your career. Set boundaries and learn to manage your time efficiently. Remember to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout. With proper planning and organization, you can successfully balance your personal life and career after college.