Rehabilitating Lungs: Options for Those Without Transplants

• Medical
  • Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
In summary, there is a possibility that in the future, old lungs can be rehabilitated instead of undergoing a transplant. This conservative view is appealing, especially given the challenges with current treatments. However, it is important to note that lung transplants have a high chance of the underlying condition returning within two years. This option may only provide the person with more time, but also comes with potential side effects and complications.
SW VandeCarr
Lungs gone bad? Can't get a transplant? Maybe you can get old lungs rehabed in the future.

http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/25657/?a=f

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I like the conservative view of the authors, not saying this is just around the corner, and the notion is very appealing. Given challenges in gene and stem cell therapies, I wouldn't be shocked if this comes first.

Thanks SW,

I passed this on to a long time friend, who has chronic sarcoidosis. We discuss issues related to health all the time. The problem is as best I understand it, that to date, anyone who receives a lung transplant (as last resort to save someone's life), within 2 years the sarcoid returns in most every case, so at best the "old treatment" gives the person more time. As one would imagine there are plenty of side effects and anti-rejection med issues to deal with too.

Rhody... :smile:

rhody said:
Thanks SW,

I passed this on to a long time friend, who has chronic sarcoidosis. We discuss issues related to health all the time. The problem is as best I understand it, that to date, anyone who receives a lung transplant (as last resort to save someone's life), within 2 years the sarcoid returns in most every case, so at best the "old treatment" gives the person more time. As one would imagine there are plenty of side effects and anti-rejection med issues to deal with too.

Rhody... :smile:

This is sadly true, but time is precious and pain is fleeting.

I find this article on rehabilitating lungs for those without transplants to be a promising development in the field of biomedicine. The idea of rehabilitating damaged lungs to improve their function and potentially avoid the need for a transplant is an exciting possibility.

Currently, lung transplants are often the only option for those with severe lung damage, but the limited availability of donor organs makes this a challenging and uncertain process. The concept of rehabilitating old lungs, either through stem cell therapy or other methods, has the potential to greatly improve the quality of life for those who are unable to receive a transplant.

However, it is important to note that this is still a developing area of research and there is much more work to be done before this becomes a viable option for patients. It will require extensive clinical trials and rigorous testing to ensure the safety and effectiveness of these techniques.

I am encouraged by the progress being made in this field and look forward to seeing further advancements that could potentially revolutionize the treatment of lung disease. It is important for researchers and clinicians to continue working towards finding new and innovative ways to improve the health and well-being of individuals with damaged lungs.

1. How can lung rehabilitation help those without transplant options?

Lung rehabilitation can help improve lung function and overall respiratory health through a combination of exercise, breathing techniques, and education. It can also help manage symptoms and improve quality of life for those with chronic lung conditions.

2. What types of exercises are included in lung rehabilitation?

Exercises included in lung rehabilitation may vary, but they often include aerobic exercises, strength training, and flexibility exercises. These can be tailored to an individual's specific needs and abilities.

3. Who can benefit from lung rehabilitation?

Lung rehabilitation can benefit anyone with chronic lung conditions such as COPD, emphysema, or pulmonary fibrosis. It can also be beneficial for those recovering from a lung infection or surgery.

4. Is lung rehabilitation a substitute for a lung transplant?

No, lung rehabilitation is not a substitute for a lung transplant. It can help improve lung function and overall health, but it cannot replace the function of a damaged or diseased lung.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects of lung rehabilitation?

In general, lung rehabilitation is considered a safe and effective treatment option. However, as with any exercise program, there is a risk of injury or exacerbation of symptoms. It is important to work with a trained professional and follow a personalized plan to minimize these risks.