How is our speed (~605km/s) derived from the CMB dipole anisotropy?

In summary: For higher velocities, the Lorentz factor curve is used to accurately calculate the velocity from the redshift. The observed CMB wavelength of 1.9mm is used in conjunction with the redshift to calculate the velocity of 605km/s. The Lorentz factor may also be used in this calculation.
lenfromkits
Hi. How does the number 605km/s come from the observed CMB wavelength of 1.9mm?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background_radiation)

Please only reply in 'English' and not a bunch of calculations because Google already provides lots of calculations. I am trying to get a general understanding in English.

Most importantly, I am trying to understand if any relativistic math is used to get the speed. Is the Lorentz factor (sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) used in there anywhere? I have applied this formula to the speed of 605 in a project and arrived at a notable result but need to know if I have simply reversed a calc that was done by someone to arrive at the 605.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is derived from the CMB redshift taken in multiple direction. Subtracting the highest from lowest redshift gives a differential of about 600 kms.

Chronos said:
It is derived from the CMB redshift taken in multiple direction. Subtracting the highest from lowest redshift gives a differential of about 600 kms.

Thanks. How then is velocity derived from Red Shift exactly? Are certain speed associated with certain changes in frequency? Is it linear or does it follow the lorentz factor curve?

Code:
           E     h
            n   s
             g i
              l

Redshift = English 

nE
            g
            l    
            i
             sh
I don't understand how the restriciton to English is supposed to make communication easier. However, the relationship is linear for low verlocities.

The speed of 605km/s is derived from the observed dipole anisotropy in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This anisotropy is a result of the relative motion between the Earth and the rest frame of the CMB, which is the frame in which the CMB appears isotropic.

The observed wavelength of the CMB radiation (1.9mm) is used to calculate the speed by applying the Doppler effect formula, which relates the observed wavelength to the speed of the source relative to the observer. This formula does not involve any relativistic math or the Lorentz factor.

It is important to note that the speed of 605km/s is not the actual speed of the Earth, but rather the speed of the Earth relative to the rest frame of the CMB. This means that the observed anisotropy is a result of the Earth's motion through the universe, rather than its rotation or orbit around the sun.

In conclusion, the speed of 605km/s is derived from the observed dipole anisotropy in the CMB radiation using the Doppler effect formula, which does not involve any relativistic math.

1. What is the CMB dipole anisotropy?

The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) dipole anisotropy refers to a pattern of fluctuations observed in the CMB radiation, which is the thermal radiation left over from the Big Bang. This pattern appears as a dipole, with one side of the sky appearing slightly hotter and the other side appearing slightly colder.

2. How is the speed of 605km/s derived from the CMB dipole anisotropy?

The speed of 605km/s is derived from the CMB dipole anisotropy by measuring the difference in temperature between the hotter and colder sides of the CMB dipole. This difference is caused by the Doppler effect, which occurs when an object is moving towards or away from an observer. By using the known properties of the Doppler effect, scientists can calculate the speed at which our galaxy is moving relative to the CMB radiation.

3. Why is the CMB dipole anisotropy important for determining our speed?

The CMB dipole anisotropy is important because it provides a reference frame for determining our speed. The CMB radiation is considered to be the most stable and universal reference frame in the universe, and the dipole anisotropy allows us to calculate our motion relative to this reference frame.

4. How accurate is the speed of 605km/s derived from the CMB dipole anisotropy?

The speed of 605km/s derived from the CMB dipole anisotropy is considered to be accurate to within a few kilometers per second. This is due to the fact that the CMB radiation is very uniform and stable, allowing for precise measurements to be made.

5. Are there any other methods for determining our speed in the universe?

Yes, there are other methods for determining our speed in the universe, such as using the redshift of distant galaxies or the cosmic microwave background radiation. However, the CMB dipole anisotropy method is considered to be one of the most accurate and reliable ways to determine our speed.