Final velocity given acceleration and initial velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a dynamite blast at a quarry that launches a chunk of rock upwards. The question asks for the speed of the rock at launch and 5.2 seconds after launch, assuming no air resistance. The participant solves part A using the equation v = v0 + at and finds the initial velocity to be 40 m/s. However, part B asks for the speed, not velocity, and when the participant enters 11 m/s as the answer, it is marked incorrect. After checking and redoing the calculations multiple times, it is concluded that 11 m/s is the correct answer. The participant plans to contact the professor for clarification.
Ohoneo

Homework Statement

A dynamite blast at a quarry launches a chunk of rock straight upward, and 2.1 s later it is rising at a speed of 19 m/s. Assuming air resistance has no effect on the rock, calculate its speed at (a) at launch and (b) 5.2 s after the launch.

Homework Equations

v = v0 + at (I'm assuming is the only relevant one, although I'll post two others in case they are needed)
x = x0 + v0t + a/2 t^2
v^2 = v0*2 + 2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part A by plugging into the equation v = v0 + at
19 m/s = v0 + (-9.8 m/s^2)(2.1 s)
And I found that the initial velocity equals 40 m/s.

So, to solve part b, I should just have to plug the initial in and find the final. I tried that:
v = 40 m/s + (-9.8 m/s^2)(5.2 s)
v = -11 m/s

However, when I entered that solution in for the homework, I was told it was wrong. I'm not really sure how to go about doing the problem if that's incorrect. I thought maybe I could have an error in rounding with significant figures.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be that since part b asked for the speed, not the velocity, that the sign of the number reported should have been positive.

The problem asked for the speed of the rock - you gave its velocity. Remember - speed is a scalar (independent of direction), and velocity is a vector (depends upon direction).edit: gneill and I were posting at the same time, apparently.

p21bass said:
The problem asked for the speed of the rock - you gave its velocity. Remember - speed is a scalar (independent of direction), and velocity is a vector (depends upon direction).

edit: gneill and I were posting at the same time, apparently.

I tried that as the answer (11 m/s instead of -11 m/s) and it was still incorrect.

No, that is the correct answer. 11.38 m/s to be "precise," but you're only given two significant figures in your initial conditions. I've done it three ways, and it comes to 11.38 m/s each time. And 40 m/s is correct for a. Just now, I did it a 4th way, and I got 10.96 m/s - which still rounds to 11 m/s.

p21bass said:
No, that is the correct answer. 11.38 m/s to be "precise," but you're only given two significant figures in your initial conditions. I've done it three ways, and it comes to 11.38 m/s each time. And 40 m/s is correct for a. Just now, I did it a 4th way, and I got 10.96 m/s - which still rounds to 11 m/s.

Okay, so I did do the math correctly. Thanks for your help :) I'm going to email my professor and see what the issue is with that problem.

1. What is the formula for calculating final velocity given acceleration and initial velocity?

The formula for calculating final velocity (Vf) given acceleration (a) and initial velocity (Vi) is Vf = Vi + at, where t represents time. This formula is known as the kinematic equation for final velocity.

2. How does acceleration affect the final velocity?

Acceleration and final velocity are directly proportional. This means that an increase in acceleration will result in a corresponding increase in final velocity, and a decrease in acceleration will lead to a decrease in final velocity.

3. Can the final velocity be negative?

Yes, the final velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. For example, if an object has an initial velocity of 10 m/s and a final velocity of -5 m/s, it means that the object is slowing down and moving in the negative direction (e.g. from east to west).

4. What is the significance of initial velocity in calculating final velocity?

Initial velocity is the starting velocity of an object. It is important to consider because it affects the final velocity of the object. If the initial velocity is high, the final velocity will also be high, and vice versa. Additionally, the direction of the initial velocity also plays a role in determining the direction of the final velocity.

5. How does time impact the final velocity?

Time is a key factor in calculating final velocity. The longer the time, the greater the impact of acceleration on the object's final velocity. This means that an object will have a higher final velocity if it experiences acceleration for a longer period of time compared to a shorter period of time.