Craft Beers, Microbreweries and Homebrewing

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, Bell's Brewery is a good brewery. Some American beers are brewed with top or bottom yeasts, but ultimately it depends on the style.

gravenewworld said:
No, I can not get 3 Floyds where I currently am. I had their Russian imperial at their brewery on 'Dark Lord Day' when my friend in IN and I got tickets to the event. I believe they only sell the Dark Lord at their brewery only. It is insanely delicious and is almost indescribable. I've never had anything like it or anything that can match close to it. The thing I like most about American brews is the fact that we aren't afraid to experiment. A ton of European beers are stuck in their traditions, which is fine and all, but their beers never change. Americans use so many more ingredients, have more styles, and have much wider array of flavors. You will almost never see a good IPA outside of the US. Not many breweries outside of the US make good porters and stouts either (sorry Guinness doesn't count) also.
Actually, there are many excellent breweries in the UK.

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/nutbrownale.html [Broken]

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/taddyporter.html [Broken]

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/oatmealstout.html [Broken]

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/imperialstout.html [Broken]

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/bottles.html [Broken]

Fortunately, a local store carries them. As well as many international brands.

http://www.chimay.com/

http://www.chimay.com/en/intro_58.php [Broken]

http://www.chimay.com/en/three_strong_personalities_217.php [Broken]

http://www.chimay.com/en/access_plan_156.php [Broken]

I agree that Guinness in the bottle or can is not as good as from the tap. I don't know what they do for exports, but what I buy in the store seems a bit too watery .

Actually, Ireland has some great pubs and breweries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Greg Bernhardt said:
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/ is great and wins many awards!

Oh, you are making me crave an Uff-da! One of the best winter beers!

When I was in grad school, one of my favorite things to do was to head up to the coast of New Hampshire and hang out in Portsmouth at the the Portsmouth Brewery!

http://www.portsmouthbrewery.com/

If you appreciate craft beer and willing to take some risks, you can really get your mind opened. In fact, my local mart carries their Old Brown Dog. Makes me so happy!

Norman said:
Oh, you are making me crave an Uff-da! One of the best winter beers!

When I was in grad school, one of my favorite things to do was to head up to the coast of New Hampshire and hang out in Portsmouth at the the Portsmouth Brewery!

http://www.portsmouthbrewery.com/

If you appreciate craft beer and willing to take some risks, you can really get your mind opened. In fact, my local mart carries their Old Brown Dog. Makes me so happy!
Ha - I've had Smuttynose. It was locally available. 'Twas OK.

I need a road trip to Portsmouth. Gotta try the Holidaze and Imperial Porters.

Right now in my fridge I have...
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Rogue Imperial Pilsner
Sam Adams Winter Lager (ok, huge craft brewery not micro, but still delicious)

My personal preference is more malty and less bitter. I stay away from high bitter stuff like IPAs, just never have been able to enjoy them. But I'm constantly swapping up what beer I'm enjoying depending on time of year and need for variety. I even brewed my own batch of brown ale, although it didn't turn out to be anything exciting. I've been doing a lot more research and will try again soon.

Here's a couple I return to more often than others
www.rogue.com - I like quite a few of their offerings, particularly Hazelnut Brown Nectar
www.saintarnold.com - Local in Houston, known for a tasty brown ale

S_Happens said:
Right now in my fridge I have...
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Rogue Imperial Pilsner
Sam Adams Winter Lager (ok, huge craft brewery not micro, but still delicious)

My personal preference is more malty and less bitter. I stay away from high bitter stuff like IPAs, just never have been able to enjoy them. But I'm constantly swapping up what beer I'm enjoying depending on time of year and need for variety. I even brewed my own batch of brown ale, although it didn't turn out to be anything exciting. I've been doing a lot more research and will try again soon.

Here's a couple I return to more often than others
www.rogue.com - I like quite a few of their offerings, particularly Hazelnut Brown Nectar
www.saintarnold.com - Local in Houston, known for a tasty brown ale

Keep listing them, and you're going to find a Nicodemus in your fridge drinking your beer! :biggrin:

Ever since this thread started I can't stop going to my local micro-brewer for my favorite Golden Wheat State.

dlgoff said:
Ever since this thread started I can't stop going to my local micro-brewer for my favorite Golden Wheat State.

Yeah, this thread makes it clear that too many beers exist, which taste far too good. Where is the 'Women's Temperance Movement' when you need it?! ;)

Nicodemus said:
Where is the 'Women's Temperance Movement' when you need it?! ;)
Probably drinking really good beer.

As a mater of fact, I think I'll have another. :rolleyes:

dlgoff said:
Probably drinking really good beer.

As a mater of fact, I think I'll have another. :rolleyes:

Cheers! :biggrin:

Many of the local microbrew bottled beers are excellent, though some really shine when they are on tap. You could plan a Maine vacation around visits to microbreweries and their brew-pubs. Oak Pond Brewing in Skowhegan, Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar Harbor, Sea Dog in Topsam, Bangor, and South Portland, Shipyard Brewery in Portland, etc. Some of their products are available on-tap in selected unaffiliated taverns and bars, too.

turbo-1 said:
Many of the local microbrew bottled beers are excellent, though some really shine when they are on tap. You could plan a Maine vacation around visits to microbreweries and their brew-pubs. Oak Pond Brewing in Skowhegan, Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar Harbor, Sea Dog in Topsam, Bangor, and South Portland, Shipyard Brewery in Portland, etc. Some of their products are available on-tap in selected unaffiliated taverns and bars, too.
You know? That sounds like an excellent idea.

Funny you mention microbrew bottled beers. Yesterday when I was filling my jugs (one just wasn't enough so I bought another) the bartender said I could buy it bottled and save a little money. But I decided direct from the tap was the way to go. I did ask him about kegs, etc. and he told me that on Mondays they provide kegs of one particular crafted beer for that week.

turbo-1 said:

See, this is why i don't understand how some fermented grapes have become so much more "fabulous" than delicious brews.

So, I live not too many hours drive from Maine... what time of year would you recommend for a beer-tour, and taking some time to just kick back (nothing fancy)?

Early to mid-fall would probably be best, after the bulk of the tourists have gone home. Plus, many micros brew up special seasonal batches for October.

turbo-1 said:
Plus, many micros brew up special seasonal batches for October.
Would I have to bring my snow shovel? :devil:

It would probably be worth it though.

dlgoff said:
Would I have to bring my snow shovel? :devil:

It would probably be worth it though.
Not for October (usually). Plus, early October is prime-time for foliage.

turbo-1 said:
Early to mid-fall would probably be best, after the bulk of the tourists have gone home. Plus, many micros brew up special seasonal batches for October.

Thanks, it sounds good to me, and fall is a good season in New England.

Marzen style beers (Oktoberfest) are VERY high on my list, although there's a lot of variety within the style. I'm always looking forward to the fall, even though we don't really have one here in Houston. :D

S_Happens said:
Marzen style beers (Oktoberfest) are VERY high on my list, although there's a lot of variety within the style. I'm always looking forward to the fall, even though we don't really have one here in Houston. :D
No falls. Just winters it seems. :biggrin:

Oak Pond Brewery's Oktoberfest is a wonderful brew. Not too hoppy, but with a nice malt flavor. I prefer their ales, but lager-fans would probably love their Oktoberfest.

Their Storyteller Dopplebock is a winter seasonal brew that is cold-seasoned for a couple of months or so. Potent, and very smooth and tasty. You'd have to live nearby to appreciate all the variations that this little micro produces.

For some reason, I find crafted beers taste better in the winter. What gives? Maybe it goes back to my preteen years when I'd hide bottles of Miller (the tall glass ones: the champagne of bottled beer) in a snow drift for later undetected drinking pleasure. Oh to see those little ice crystals forming once opened.

dlgoff said:
For some reason, I find crafted beers taste better in the winter. What gives? Maybe it goes back to my preteen years when I'd hide bottles of Miller (the tall glass ones: the champagne of bottled beer) in a snow drift for later undetected drinking pleasure. Oh to see those little ice crystals forming once opened.
When I was brewing my own beers, I usually preferred the batches that I brewed in the winter. My cellar was pretty cold, so it took a long time for the yeast to work off all the sugar and malt. The winter brews were generally very smooth and clean-tasting. When I decanted the beer, I'd siphon it into heavy swirl Pepsi-bottles with a dollop of sugar-water syrup in each, cap them, then transport the bottles to the upstairs to a cool unused room to re-carbonate. It took longer in cold weather, but the wait was worth it.

Oh man... I tried brewing beer once, and I'm glad I don't have PTSD; I'm pretty sure I'd have been back in a warzone once those bottles I'd over-sugared started exploding.

Oh the cleanup... it was years ago, and I swar I'm still finding shards of blue and green glass. I admire anyone who can go that route and succeed.

Well I stopped tonight and picked up some Ayinger Celebrator and a local of what is supposed to be a Russian Imperial Stout (but reviews are pretty consistant that it's closer to an American Stout or even Brown) called Buried Hatchet Stout from Southern Star Brewing Co. out of Conroe, TX.

The Celebrator was absolutely fantastic. I'll definitely be picking it up again.

Edit- I had quite a few local brews up in Colorado last year. Dillon Dam Brewery had a good brown, Breckenridge Brewery (dunno how big the operation is as I can get it locally) had a decent bock and I really loved the Vanilla Porter, and Tommyknocker Brewery in Idaho Springs had a decent Maple Nut Brown from what I can remember. The "brewery" at Copper Mountain only brews one batch and they were out by the time I was there.

Last edited:

turbo-1 said:
When I was brewing my own beers, I usually preferred the batches that I brewed in the winter. My cellar was pretty cold, so it took a long time for the yeast to work off all the sugar and malt. The winter brews were generally very smooth and clean-tasting. When I decanted the beer, I'd siphon it into heavy swirl Pepsi-bottles with a dollop of sugar-water syrup in each, cap them, then transport the bottles to the upstairs to a cool unused room to re-carbonate. It took longer in cold weather, but the wait was worth it.

Lagering produces a superior beer, at one time, it was illegal to brew beer outside the winter months in Germany prior to refrigeration being available. Bocks are a larger.

nismaratwork said:
Oh man... I tried brewing beer once, and I'm glad I don't have PTSD; I'm pretty sure I'd have been back in a warzone once those bottles I'd over-sugared started exploding.

Oh the cleanup... it was years ago, and I swar I'm still finding shards of blue and green glass. I admire anyone who can go that route and succeed.

I would encourage you take it up again, its way too much fun.

I'm checking into getting kegs (or pony kegs) from my Free State Brewery. I just emailed them. And hoping Golden Wheat State will maintain it's taste for the whole keg. It will save me a drive to Lawrence every other day. :fingers crossed:

dlgoff said:
I'm checking into getting kegs (or pony kegs) from my Free State Brewery. I just emailed them. And hoping Golden Wheat State will maintain it's taste for the whole keg. It will save me a drive to Lawrence every other day. :fingers crossed:

I've gotten 2 cornelius kegs, also called soda kegs. Work great. Sanitize one thing, fill it, seal it, pressurize it, serve beer.

S_Happens said:

Yep, summer and winter. Someday I'll live somewhere with seasons.

Insanity said:
I've gotten 2 cornelius kegs, also called soda kegs. Work great. Sanitize one thing, fill it, seal it, pressurize it, serve beer.
I called them and found out that I can get a 5 gallon keg ($100 deposit) and get if filed for $55.16 after Monday noon. Sounds like a deal to me.

I'm betting thy won't fill a Cornelius keg; wanting to have another source of income in case of keg looses or damages.

I'll calling Monday straight up noon here.

turbo-1 said:
I ate dinner at Gritty McDuff's in Freeport, Me, while I was there for a conference. They has a good selection of their own beers.

http://www.grittys.com/beers_home.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc said:
I ate dinner at Gritty McDuff's in Freeport, Me, while I was there for a conference. They has a good selection of their own beers.
Gritty is a good source. I'm partial to Oak Pond, perhaps because I appreciate their product mix and like to follow the evolution of their brews.

Insanity said:
Lagering produces a superior beer, at one time, it was illegal to brew beer outside the winter months in Germany prior to refrigeration being available. Bocks are a larger.

I would encourage you take it up again, its way too much fun.

You know, I keep thinking about it, being much older and (slightly) wiser. I think I'd use Turbo's method of a light topping, and work a small batch first. It is dirt cheap, and as you say, when it works it seems like a blast!

Besides... it's chemistry and biology you get to drink at the end of the day.. nerd heaven.

edit: Astronuc, have you tried their Best Brown Ale, or Blackfly Stout? They sound very appealing, but maybe they're better on the bitter end, such as their IPA.

nismaratwork said:
You know, I keep thinking about it, being much older and (slightly) wiser. I think I'd use Turbo's method of a light topping, and work a small batch first. It is dirt cheap, and as you say, when it works it seems like a blast!

Besides... it's chemistry and biology you get to drink at the end of the day.. nerd heaven.

edit: Astronuc, have you tried their Best Brown Ale, or Blackfly Stout? They sound very appealing, but maybe they're better on the bitter end, such as their IPA.
Gritty has a good mix of offerings. I like 21 IPA and Black Fly, but it's hard to find something from them that I don't like. One thing that draws me to Oak Pond is that I have been here since they started up, and I remember the evolution of their classics, like Nut Brown Ale, and the genesis of my favorite White Fox Ale. Breweries are living things, like their brews, and the people that make them. It's so nice to visit the brewery to pick up a couple of growlers - the owner/brewmaster is a very friendly guy and when he has kegged up a particularly good batch of some variant, you WILL have samples of it! It's not pride (though he has every right) but a love of good beer and the recognition that his loyal customers actually appreciate his efforts.

dlgoff said:
I called them and found out that I can get a 5 gallon keg ($100 deposit) and get if filed for $55.16 after Monday noon. Sounds like a deal to me.

I'm betting thy won't fill a Cornelius keg; wanting to have another source of income in case of keg looses or damages.

I'll calling Monday straight up noon here.

A cornelius keg holds about 5 gallons. Ideal for homebrewing.
You can get them used fairly inexpensive, I paid $35 each for mine. New ones I know are over a hundred. My understanding is that anyone who sells them used must show they can hold pressure, at least here, but some little parts may or may not need replacing; o-rings, dip tubes, poppets, etc. You will likely need to replace some O-rings, a few dollars to replace all. Each part might be a few dollars. The two I bought I had to replace maybe 3 o-rings and a poppet total, might have been $5.00.

Back