Mechatronics Project: Get Help on Robotic Arm Design

In summary, a mechatronics student is planning to create a prosthetic robotic arm for their grad project and is looking for references and information on electrical and mechanical requirements and dimensions. However, this may be a large undertaking for a single student and it is recommended to reduce the scope of the project. The student has already started with a team and has a basic idea for the project, which involves connecting 14 pins to the head, amplifiers, and motors to control hand motion. They are seeking actual research to base their design on, such as the dimensions of a prosthetic arm. It is noted that the DARPA arm, a similar project, took years and a large budget to develop.
Abdallah haj
I'm a mechatronics student, and for my grad project i would like to create a prosthetic robotic arm and I would like to get some back up on the subject maybe some reference. please link anything suitable, I really would appreciate information about electrical requirements, mechanical requirements, dimensions, etc.

looking forward for your replies ^^

Engineering news on Phys.org
Such a project would be a large undertaking for an entire professional engineering team, let alone a single student. I would recommend reducing the scope of your project before continuing.

I have already started with a team. We have a basic idea for the project. We are going to connect 14 pins to the head connected to Amplifiers, the voltage produced will be classified into a certain motion in the arm, the classifier is going to be connected to motors controlling the motion of the hand. However we need actual research so we can base our design on, for example the dimension of the hand and how they create a prosthetic arm, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist with a background in mechatronics, I am excited to hear about your project to create a prosthetic robotic arm. It is a challenging and important endeavor, and I commend you for taking it on for your grad project.

In terms of getting help and references for your project, there are several resources you can utilize. First, I recommend reaching out to your professors and classmates for guidance and advice. They may have experience in similar projects or know of relevant research articles and resources.

Additionally, there are many online communities and forums dedicated to mechatronics and robotics where you can ask for help and advice. Some popular ones include Reddit's r/Mechatronics and r/robotics, as well as the Robotics Stack Exchange and the Mechatronics subreddit on Quora. These communities are filled with experts and enthusiasts who can provide valuable insights and references.

In terms of specific resources, I suggest starting with research articles and papers on prosthetic robotic arms. Some key topics to focus on include the electrical and mechanical requirements for such a device, as well as the dimensions and design considerations. You can access these articles through online databases such as IEEE Xplore, ScienceDirect, and Google Scholar.

In addition, there are many books and textbooks on mechatronics and robotics that can provide in-depth information on the subject. Some recommended titles include "Mechatronics: Electronic Control Systems in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering" by W. Bolton, "Robotics, Vision and Control: Fundamental Algorithms in MATLAB" by Peter Corke, and "Introduction to Mechatronics and Measurement Systems" by David G. Alciatore and Michael B. Histand.

Lastly, I suggest checking out online tutorials and videos on mechatronics and robotics, as they can provide practical guidance and demonstrations on designing and building a prosthetic robotic arm.

I hope these resources will be helpful in your project and I wish you all the best in your endeavors. Keep up the hard work and determination, and I am sure you will achieve great success in creating a functional and innovative prosthetic robotic arm. Best of luck!

1. What is mechatronics and how does it relate to robotic arm design?

Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field that combines mechanics, electronics, and computer control systems to design and create intelligent machines. In the context of robotic arm design, mechatronics is essential because it allows for the integration of these different components to work together seamlessly and efficiently.

2. What are the key components that make up a robotic arm?

A robotic arm typically consists of joints, actuators, sensors, and a control system. The joints are responsible for providing movement and flexibility, while actuators are used to control the motion of the arm. Sensors are used to gather information about the environment and the arm's position, and the control system processes this information to make decisions and control the arm's movements.

3. How is the design process for a robotic arm different from other mechatronics projects?

The design process for a robotic arm involves a high level of precision and accuracy, as small errors in design or construction can greatly affect its performance. Additionally, the design must consider the weight and size of the arm, as well as its intended tasks and environment. This requires a thorough understanding of the mechanics, electronics, and programming involved in creating a functional robotic arm.

4. What are some common challenges in designing a robotic arm?

Some common challenges in designing a robotic arm include ensuring precision and accuracy in movement, optimizing power and weight, and ensuring safety for both the arm and its surroundings. Other challenges may include choosing the right materials and components, as well as programming the control system to perform complex tasks efficiently.

5. Can I get help with my mechatronics project and robotic arm design?

Yes, many resources and experts are available to help with mechatronics projects and robotic arm design. You can consult with experienced engineers, attend workshops and conferences, and use online resources to learn more about the design process and get guidance on specific challenges. Additionally, many universities and companies offer courses and programs focused on mechatronics and robotics that can provide valuable support and knowledge.