Distribution of the sample mean of an exponential distribution

In summary: For an exponential distribution with mean 8, the variance is 64, so the sample variance for k=5 would be 64/5 = 12.8.In summary, the distribution of Ybar, the sample mean of 5 random variables drawn from an exponential distribution with mean 8, can be found by using the Erlang distribution with k=5 and rate parameter r=1/8. The distribution of Ybar will have a mean of 8 and a variance of 12.8.
buggy418
Let's say you have a random sample of 5 values that are drawn from an exponential distribution with a mean of 8.

How do I find the distribution of Ybar, which is the sample mean of the 5 random variables? [Note: Ybar = 1/5(Y₁+Y₂+Y₃+Y₄+Y₅)]

I know that for an exponential distribution with mean 8 (i.e. Y~exp(8)), the variance would be 64.
So it seems like the distribution of Ybar can't also be exponential, since the variance is supposed to be the mean squared. I figure the mean of Ybar will be 8, but the variance must be something other than 64.
I don't know what approach to take...this seems harder than the approach for a normal distribution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to compute the five fold convolution of the exponential distribution. Have you studied convolutions?

buggy418 said:
How do I find the distribution of Ybar, which is the sample mean of the 5 random variables? [Note: Ybar = 1/5(Y₁+Y₂+Y₃+Y₄+Y₅)]

So it seems like the distribution of Ybar can't also be exponential

True. What distribution would you expect for the sample means?

I think it may have a gamma distribution of some sort. We've learned the method of distribution functions. So maybe if I let V=5Y, and then found the distribution of V/5 that would work? But it seems like that's just going to make me end up at the exponential distribution again, since V/5 = 5Y/5 = Y.

buggy418 said:
So maybe if I let V=5Y

No, that would imply you had 5 copies of the same outcome, not 5 independent outcomes. You're going to have to do a convolution or look up the answer in a reference. Generating functions might help with a convolution.

Sorry to dig up a two-month old thread, but in the course of solving a different problem, I may have found a straight-forward answer to the problem presented by the OP. Here it is, for future reference.

The OP was on the right lines with the Gamma distribution. In particular, it is the Erlang distribution, which is a special case of the Gamma distribution, that is appropriate in this case.

Recall that the distribution of the sum of k iid exponential distributions is described by the Erlang distribution. That is,
Erl(k,r) ~ Exp(r) + … + Exp(r). (Sum of k exponential distros.)
Here we use r to denote the rate parameter (more commonly denoted by lamda), where r = 1/mean.

The pdf of the Erlang distro is given by
f( x; k, r ) = ( r^k * x^(k-1) * e^(-r*x) ) / (k-1)! .
(Wiki page for more info on the Erlang distro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlang_distribution )

So, to find the distribution of the sample mean of k values drawn from k iid exponential distributions we simply need to find
1/k * Erl(k,r).
This is a scalar multiple of a random variable. The transformation of the random variable yields a distribution with pdf
f'( x; k, r ) = f( x*k; k, r ) = ( r^k * (x*k)^(k-1) * e^(-r*x*k) ) / (k-1)!.

In the OP's case we have k=5; plugging this into the pdf gives
f'( x; 5, r ) = (625/24) * e^(-5*x*r) * r^5 * x^4.

This is my first post here. I may have made a mistake. A quick numerical test gives similar results. Also the convolution method for k=2 gives the same result.

In case anyone's interested, my own problem is to find the distribution of the sample *variance* of k iid exponential distributions. I have yet to find the solution.

mattjw said:
Sorry to dig up a two-month old thread, but in the course of solving a different problem, I may have found a straight-forward answer to the problem presented by the OP. Here it is, for future reference.

The OP was on the right lines with the Gamma distribution. In particular, it is the Erlang distribution, which is a special case of the Gamma distribution, that is appropriate in this case.

Recall that the distribution of the sum of k iid exponential distributions is described by the Erlang distribution. That is,
Erl(k,r) ~ Exp(r) + … + Exp(r). (Sum of k exponential distros.)
Here we use r to denote the rate parameter (more commonly denoted by lamda), where r = 1/mean.

The pdf of the Erlang distro is given by
f( x; k, r ) = ( r^k * x^(k-1) * e^(-r*x) ) / (k-1)! .
(Wiki page for more info on the Erlang distro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlang_distribution )

So, to find the distribution of the sample mean of k values drawn from k iid exponential distributions we simply need to find
1/k * Erl(k,r).
This is a scalar multiple of a random variable. The transformation of the random variable yields a distribution with pdf
f'( x; k, r ) = f( x*k; k, r ) = ( r^k * (x*k)^(k-1) * e^(-r*x*k) ) / (k-1)!.

In the OP's case we have k=5; plugging this into the pdf gives
f'( x; 5, r ) = (625/24) * e^(-5*x*r) * r^5 * x^4.

This is my first post here. I may have made a mistake. A quick numerical test gives similar results. Also the convolution method for k=2 gives the same result.

In case anyone's interested, my own problem is to find the distribution of the sample *variance* of k iid exponential distributions. I have yet to find the solution.

A factor of k seems to be missing from your f', but anyway if you just need to find the sample variance for sample size k, it's just (1/k) times the variance of the exponential distribution.

What is the exponential distribution?

The exponential distribution is a probability distribution that is commonly used to model the time between events in a process that occurs continuously and independently at a constant rate.

What is the sample mean of an exponential distribution?

The sample mean of an exponential distribution is a measure of central tendency that represents the average value of a sample of observations from the distribution. It is calculated by taking the sum of all the values in the sample and dividing by the number of observations.

How is the sample mean of an exponential distribution calculated?

The sample mean of an exponential distribution can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the rate parameter (λ) of the distribution. This means that the mean is equal to 1/λ.

What is the significance of the distribution of the sample mean of an exponential distribution?

The distribution of the sample mean of an exponential distribution is important because it allows us to make inferences about the population mean based on a sample of data. It also helps us to understand the variability of the sample mean and how likely it is to differ from the population mean.

What factors can affect the distribution of the sample mean of an exponential distribution?

The distribution of the sample mean of an exponential distribution can be affected by the sample size, the rate parameter (λ), and the variability of the individual observations in the sample. As the sample size increases, the distribution of the sample mean becomes more normal and less influenced by the underlying distribution. A larger rate parameter will result in a smaller sample mean, while a smaller rate parameter will result in a larger sample mean.