Throwing a ball in a moving train

• Thread starter nobelium102
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Train
In summary, When throwing a tennis ball straight up in a moving train, it will drop back down on the same spot due to the fact that you, the ball, and the air in the carriage all have the same velocity. This happens regardless of whether you are on top of the train or inside a closed space. The ball does not fly backward due to the wind, as the wind resistance is the same as if the ball was fired from standing to 80mph. Additionally, the ball has kinetic energy which allows it to maintain a similar speed as the train, resulting in the same outcome. You do not need to be on a moving train to see this, as a similar result can be observed by simply throwing a ball during windy conditions.
nobelium102
If you throw a tennis ball straight up in a moving train, the ball will drop back down on the same spot so you can catch it
right?
Does this happen because i am in a closed space where the air is still?
What would happen if i went on top of the train (so i guess the roof of the train) and did the same experiment?
will the ball be flown backward because of the wind?

Physics news on Phys.org
nobelium102 said:
If you throw a tennis ball straight up in a moving train, the ball will drop back down on the same spot so you can catch it
right?
Does this happen because i am in a closed space where the air is still?
Right!
What would happen if i went on top of the train (so i guess the roof of the train) and did the same experiment?
will the ball be flown backward because of the wind?
You need not to risk that much. Just take your tennis ball and go to backyard of your house during stormy wind to see what happens.

Remember that it's not just the train traveling at 80mph! You, the ball and the air in the carriage all have the same velocity. The wind outside the train is the same wind resistance that a ball would feel if you fired it from standing to 80mph.

wind => external force

you don't need a moving train to see if a ball moves with wind!
Actualy the question would be why didn the ball remain in its place in space when you threw it in the air and didn go bakward? in fact, you re stick to the train but it's not? why didn it loose the train speed when not being attached to it? well that's cz it's got some kinetik energie which let it move with nearly same speed! and that's why(ignoring wind) u'll get the same results at the top of the train

1. How does the trajectory of a thrown ball change inside a moving train?

The trajectory of a thrown ball inside a moving train will appear curved to an observer inside the train because the ball is moving with the train's velocity in addition to its own initial velocity. However, to an observer outside the train, the ball will still follow a straight line path.

2. Will a thrown ball travel further in a moving train compared to a stationary train?

Yes, a thrown ball will travel further inside a moving train compared to a stationary train. This is because the ball inherits the train's velocity in addition to its own initial velocity, giving it a greater overall velocity and allowing it to travel a longer distance before hitting the ground.

3. Will the speed of a thrown ball inside a moving train be affected by the train's direction of motion?

No, the speed of a thrown ball inside a moving train will not be affected by the train's direction of motion. This is because the ball will still have the same initial speed and acceleration due to gravity, regardless of the train's direction of motion.

4. How does the position of a thrown ball inside a moving train appear to change to an outside observer?

To an outside observer, the position of a thrown ball inside a moving train will appear to change at a slower rate compared to an observer inside the train. This is because the outside observer is not moving with the train and therefore perceives the train's motion as well as the ball's motion.

5. Will the force exerted on a thrown ball inside a moving train be different compared to a stationary train?

No, the force exerted on a thrown ball inside a moving train will be the same as in a stationary train. This is because the force acting on the ball is due to its own initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity, and is not affected by the train's motion.