Triple product vector problem

In summary, when solving for a vector product, it is important to check the obvious (like what is b + c?) and to check the definition of mxn.
chmate
Find [itex](\vec{a}\times \vec{b})\cdot \vec{c}[/itex] if [itex]\vec{a}=3\vec{m}+5\vec{n}[/itex], [itex]\vec{b}=\vec{m}-2\vec{n}[/itex], [itex]\vec{c}=2\vec{m}+7\vec{n}[/itex], [itex]|\vec{m}|=\frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]|\vec{n}|=3[/itex], [itex]\angle(\vec{m},\vec{n})=\frac{3\pi}{4}[/itex]

This is my approach:
[itex](\vec{a}\times\vec{b})\cdot\vec{c}=[(3\vec{m}+5\vec{n})\times(\vec{m}-2\vec{n})]\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})=[3\vec{m}\times\vec{m}-6\vec{m}\times\vec{n}+5\vec{n}\times\vec{m}-10\vec{n}\times\vec{n}]\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})=\bf(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})[/itex]

I stuck here. I don't know the coordinates of [itex]\vec{m}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}[/itex].
Maybe the whole approach is wrong. I don't have any other idea on solving this problem so I need your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are mxm and nxn? Go back and _look at the definition_ of a vector product.

RGV

mxm and nxn by the definition gives us 0. That doesn't change anything.

chmate said:
mxm and nxn by the definition gives us 0. That doesn't change anything.

OK, I see now that you got rid of those terms; the results were hidden behind a popup that appeared on my screen before (but not now). Anyway, you now want to evaluate 11 mxn . (2m + 7n). Now go back and look at the definition of mxn; in particular, pay attention to the directions in which various vectors are pointing.

RGV

Hello Ray,

I did these operations: [itex](-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})=(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot2\vec{m}+(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot7\vec{n}[/itex][itex]=[/itex]
[itex]=[/itex][itex]-22(\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot\vec{m}-77(\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot\vec{n}[/itex]

So, according to definition, the vector [itex]\vec{m}\times\vec{n}[/itex] is normal with the plane spanned by vectors [itex]\vec{m}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}[/itex], as a result I got 0 at the and. Is this correct? Are these operations I did allowed?

hello chmate! :smile:

erm :redface:

before embarking on long calculations, always check the obvious

hint: what is b + c ? :wink:
chmate said:
… I got 0 at the and. Is this correct?

see above! :rolleyes:

Hi tinytim,

I see now that the vectors are lineary dependent so 0 is the right answer.
I just want to have this question answered, are these operations I did legal?

Thank you

let's see …
chmate said:
[itex](-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot(2\vec{m}+7\vec{n})=(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot2\vec{m}+(-11\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot7\vec{n}[/itex][itex]=[/itex]
[itex]=[/itex][itex]-22(\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot\vec{m}-77(\vec{m}\times\vec{n})\cdot\vec{n}[/itex]

So, according to definition, the vector [itex]\vec{m}\times\vec{n}[/itex] is normal with the plane spanned by vectors [itex]\vec{m}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}[/itex], as a result I got 0 at the and. Is this correct? Are these operations I did allowed?

yes, that's fine :smile:

(and (A x B).B is always zero)

chmate said:
Hi tinytim,

I see now that the vectors are lineary dependent so 0 is the right answer.
I just want to have this question answered, are these operations I did legal?

Thank you

Yes, everything is legal. You just used things like A*(B+C) = A*B + A*C and A*(rB) = r(A*B) for scalar r; these are true if * is either the dot product or the cross-product. You also used AxB = -BxA which is specific to the cross product. Of course, you could have written the answer right away, without any calculations, because you had (UxV).W, where U, V and W are all linear combinations of m and n, so all lie in the same plane containing m and n---hence UxV is perpendicular to W.

RGV

What is a triple product vector problem?

A triple product vector problem is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that involves finding the scalar triple product of three vectors. This is calculated by taking the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors.

What is the significance of solving a triple product vector problem?

Solving a triple product vector problem can provide important information about the relationship between three vectors in three-dimensional space. It can also be used to determine the volume of a parallelepiped or to find the angle between two vectors.

How do you solve a triple product vector problem?

To solve a triple product vector problem, you first need to calculate the cross product of two of the vectors. Then, take the dot product of this cross product with the third vector. The result is the scalar triple product.

What are some common applications of the triple product vector problem?

The triple product vector problem has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque, angular momentum, and moment of inertia in physics. In engineering, it is used in mechanics and statics problems. In computer graphics, it is used for 3D modeling and animation.

Are there any variations of the triple product vector problem?

Yes, there are variations of the triple product vector problem, such as the vector triple product and the scalar triple product of four vectors. These variations involve finding the cross product or dot product of more than three vectors. They also have their own unique applications in various fields.