What is the regularity condition in the definition of a regular surface?

In summary: The one-to-one condition says that for any two points q\in U, there exists a unique vector d\mathbf{x}_q that is the derivative of the function at q. This is equivalent to saying that the map \mathbf{x}_q:U\rightarrow V\cap S is a homeomorphism. The regularity condition says that for each q\in U, the differential d\mathbf{x}_q is one-to-one, which is equivalent to saying that the map is injective.
drnickriviera
Hello everyone,

I'm just getting into differential geometry at the moment and I am confused about one of the conditions in the definition of a regular surface. It is the regularity condition. I'll include the whole definition here for the sake of completeness.

A subset [itex] S\subset \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] is a regular surface if, for each [itex]p\in S[/itex], there exists a neighborhood [itex]V[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] and a map [itex]\mathbf{x}:U\rightarrow V\cap S[/itex] of an open set [itex]U\subset\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] onto [itex]V\cap S\subset\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] such that

1. [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] is infinitely differentiable.

2. [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] is a homeomorphism.

3. (The regularity condition.) For each [itex]q\in U[/itex], the differential [itex]d\mathbf{x}_q:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is one-to-one.

(From Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces, Do Carmo, 1976)

Now, I feel like I must have missed something at some point prior to studying this, because I really am not sure what the differential [itex]d\mathbf{x}_q[/itex] represents or how to calculate it. The instructor of the class gave an equivalent condition that makes more sense, but for homework it is necessary to prove that condition and so I have to understand what the third condition means. Can anyone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
drnickriviera said:
Hello everyone,

I'm just getting into differential geometry at the moment and I am confused about one of the conditions in the definition of a regular surface. It is the regularity condition. I'll include the whole definition here for the sake of completeness.

A subset [itex] S\subset \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] is a regular surface if, for each [itex]p\in S[/itex], there exists a neighborhood [itex]V[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] and a map [itex]\mathbf{x}:U\rightarrow V\cap S[/itex] of an open set [itex]U\subset\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] onto [itex]V\cap S\subset\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] such that

1. [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] is infinitely differentiable.

2. [itex]\mathbf{x}[/itex] is a homeomorphism.

3. (The regularity condition.) For each [itex]q\in U[/itex], the differential [itex]d\mathbf{x}_q:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is one-to-one.

(From Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces, Do Carmo, 1976)

Now, I feel like I must have missed something at some point prior to studying this, because I really am not sure what the differential [itex]d\mathbf{x}_q[/itex] represents or how to calculate it. The instructor of the class gave an equivalent condition that makes more sense, but for homework it is necessary to prove that condition and so I have to understand what the third condition means. Can anyone help me here?

X is a vector of three functions. At each point in U, each of these three functions has a differential. dXq is the vector of these differentials at the point,q.

All right, and thanks for your response, but what is the differential of each function? Is it equivalent to the total derivative? Also, what does one-to-oneness imply for [itex]d\mathbf{x}_q[/itex]? Is it the regular function definition for one-to-one?

drnickriviera said:
All right, and thanks for your response, but what is the differential of each function? Is it equivalent to the total derivative? Also, what does one-to-oneness imply for [itex]d\mathbf{x}_q[/itex]? Is it the regular function definition for one-to-one?

the differential of a differentiable function maps tangent vector to tangent vectors. Thinking of derivatives as maps on tangent spaces is essential for understanding multivariate calculus. In standard Cartesian coordinates the differential is just the Jacobian matrix viewed as a linear map.

Dear student,

The regularity condition in the definition of a regular surface ensures that the surface is smooth and does not have any sharp edges or corners. It means that for every point on the surface, there exists a tangent plane that is unique and well-defined. This is important because it allows us to define the concept of curvature and study the behavior of the surface in a smooth and predictable manner.

The differential d\mathbf{x}_q represents the linear transformation between the tangent plane at the point q on the surface and the tangent plane at the corresponding point on the parameter space (in this case, the open set U\subset\mathbb{R}^2). This is why the regularity condition states that this differential must be one-to-one, meaning that it maps distinct points on the parameter space to distinct points on the surface.

To calculate this differential, you can use the chain rule and the fact that \mathbf{x} is an infinitely differentiable map. This will allow you to express the differential as a Jacobian matrix, which represents the linear transformation between the two tangent planes.

I hope this helps clarify the regularity condition for you. Keep up the good work in your studies of differential geometry!

1. What is a regular surface?

A regular surface is a type of mathematical surface that is smooth and has no sharp edges or corners. It can be described as a continuous, two-dimensional shape that has a well-defined tangent plane at every point.

2. How is a regular surface different from other surfaces?

A regular surface is different from other surfaces because it is smooth and has no singularities, such as cusps or self-intersections. This means that it can be described by a single continuous equation or parametric representation, unlike other surfaces which may require multiple equations or have discontinuities.

3. What are some examples of regular surfaces?

Some examples of regular surfaces include spheres, cylinders, cones, tori, and planes. These are all smooth, continuous shapes that can be described by a single equation or parametric representation.

4. How are regular surfaces used in science and mathematics?

Regular surfaces are used in many fields of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are often used to model and study real-world objects, as well as to solve complex problems and equations.

5. What are the practical applications of regular surfaces?

Regular surfaces have many practical applications, such as in computer-aided design (CAD), 3D modeling, and computer graphics. They are also used in physics to study the behavior of fluids and in engineering to design and analyze structures and machines. Additionally, regular surfaces play a crucial role in the study of geometry and topology.