Ee or cs, and what to do with math

• Thread starter blaughli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Ee
In summary, the speaker is currently considering transferring to a CS program, but is concerned about potentially leaving behind the practical math skills they have acquired in their current field of study. They are attracted to the flexible hours of CS jobs and the logic problems of programming, but are also interested in power engineering and are unsure if a computer engineering program would cover the necessary EE skills. They are seeking advice on potential options and appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.
blaughli
I am two days away from applying to transfer to a CS program, but reading my physics text reminded me of how awesome it is to be able to use the math that I've worked so hard to learn in practical applications. I like what I know about CS and programming, but now that I think about it it does not seem like there is nearly as much math going on there, at least not calculus. This post is simply an expression of my fear that by going for CS I'll be walking away from really practical skills that I've acquired over the past few years, skills that are valuable and needed in fields like power engineering. It may sound like EE is a better major if I want to stick with math, but I'm attracted to the flexible hours of many CS jobs and I do like the logic problems of programming. Computer engineering may also be a good compromise but I don't know if the programs available really do the kind of EE that would be useful in power or other EE fields if I decided later to go that route. Thoughts? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
double in EE/CS. . . look at the MIT programs in the EECS dept and see if you can concentrate in one of those areas.

1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering (EE) and Computer Science (CS)?

EE is a branch of engineering that deals with the study, design, and development of electrical systems, while CS is a field of study that focuses on the design and development of computer systems and software.

2. Can someone with a degree in EE or CS also work in the field of Mathematics?

Yes, individuals with a degree in EE or CS can also work in the field of Mathematics, as many concepts in both fields are closely related and require strong mathematical skills.

3. How can a background in math be useful in a career in EE or CS?

A background in math is essential in EE and CS as it provides the foundation for understanding complex algorithms, coding, and problem-solving. It also helps in data analysis and modeling, which are important in both fields.

4. What career options are available for someone with a degree in EE or CS and a strong background in math?

Some common career options include software engineer, data analyst, computer systems analyst, electrical engineer, and research scientist. Many industries, such as technology, healthcare, and finance, require individuals with a background in EE or CS and math skills.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to pursue a degree in EE or CS?

While a strong background in math is beneficial, it is not always necessary to pursue a degree in EE or CS. Many universities offer introductory math courses to help students with limited math backgrounds catch up and succeed in their studies. However, a strong aptitude for problem-solving and logical thinking is crucial for success in both fields.