Determining direction of induced current

In summary: I think it is more logical to say that if the current is at one time in one direction, and a short time later in the reverse direction, then...the current is switching directions.
Teachme
How do you determine that direction of the AC current at a given instant in this model. Does it really matter? The red arrows change direction when the coil is horizontal. Does anyone know why the current changes direction at that point? Why does it switch direction at the horizontal and not the vertical?
Thanks
http:[/PLAIN]
http://www.generatorguide.net/howgeneratorworks.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Teachme said:
How do you determine that direction of the AC current at a given instant in this model. Does it really matter? The red arrows change direction when the coil is horizontal. Does anyone know why the current changes direction at that point? Why does it switch direction at the horizontal and not the vertical?
Thanks

www.generatorguide.net/howgeneratorworks.html

The link doesn't work.

Teachme said:
Thanks

Link doesn't work. is the magnetic field vertical or horizontal?

Teachme said:
Thanks

Link doesn't work.
The direction of induced current is determined by Flemming's Right Hand rule. Read about it and you will answer your questions yourself, unless you provide a working link.

Sorry about the link. I fixed it if anyone can still take a look at a and explain why the current switches when the coils are parallel and not vertical with the ground that would be of much help. I tried looking up this information online but I can't seem to find an answer that directly answers this question. So if anyone has any information that is good at explaining what determines that direction of AC current at a given position in respect to a magnet this would be much appreciated. Again sorry for the bad link.

Teachme said:
Sorry about the link. I fixed it if anyone can still take a look at a and explain why the current switches when the coils are parallel and not vertical with the ground that would be of much help. I tried looking up this information online but I can't seem to find an answer that directly answers this question. So if anyone has any information that is good at explaining what determines that direction of AC current at a given position in respect to a magnet this would be much appreciated. Again sorry for the bad link.

You must first understand the Flemming's Right Hand Rule. It concludes that magnetic field, direction of induced current and the force acting on the current carrying conductor are all mutually perpendicular. The armature(or the coil) is therefore positioned parallel to ground such that it is perpendicular to the direction of magnetic field which is shown by blue arrow lines.
Again, as I said, read Flemming's Rules

Teachme said:

The direction of the induced current will change at the point where the loop is perpendicular to the field.
Since the magnetic field is vertical, the loop is horizontal as the change takes place.

Many examples of generators pictured, have the field horizontal - perhaps you failed to notice the difference.

Thank for the Help! Is if fair to say that technically there is always a small current (very small) since technically the coil is not at any point perpendicular to the field because it is 3 dimensional so a small voltage could be produced in the small part of the coil that is perpendicular to the field?

Teachme said:
Thank for the Help! Is if fair to say that technically there is always a small current (very small) since technically the coil is not at any point perpendicular to the field because it is 3 dimensional so a small voltage could be produced in the small part of the coil that is perpendicular to the field?

I think it is more logical to say that if the current is at one time in one direction, and a short time later in the reverse direction, then at some time between, there must have been no current - even if only for a single instant.

Otherwise it is like saying you can be driving forward, select reverse and back up without ever stopping??

PeterO said:
I think it is more logical to say that if the current is at one time in one direction, and a short time later in the reverse direction, then at some time between, there must have been no current - even if only for a single instant.

Otherwise it is like saying you can be driving forward, select reverse and back up without ever stopping??

There can't be an instant when no current is induced. Because the current induced is maximum at 90 angle with magnetic field and at subsequent angles, it reduces. But look at the function of rings in detail.

rktpro said:
There can't be an instant when no current is induced. Because the current induced is maximum at 90 angle with magnetic field and at subsequent angles, it reduces. But look at the function of rings in detail.

Please try graphing the current as a function of time, showing positive and negative values, but without crossing the axis -where the current is zero ?

What is the concept of "determining direction of induced current"?

The concept of determining direction of induced current is based on Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This means that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, an electric current will be induced in the conductor in a certain direction.

How do you determine the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the magnetic field and your fingers in the direction of motion of the conductor, then the direction in which your curled fingers point is the direction of the induced current.

What factors affect the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed of the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor. A stronger magnetic field, faster conductor, and larger angle between the two will result in a greater induced current.

Can the direction of induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced current can be reversed by changing any of the factors that affect it. For example, if the direction of motion of the conductor is reversed, the direction of induced current will also be reversed.

What is the practical application of determining the direction of induced current?

Determining the direction of induced current is important in many practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It allows us to control and manipulate electric currents to power devices and generate electricity for various purposes.