Need to buy a laptop that can load XP OS

In summary, you can load XP onto a new Windows 7 laptop to run the old programs. However, you should check the compatibility mode before installing the program to make sure it will work.
yungman
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Or is there any way to make the old programs run on Windows 7? I tried to load them and they won't work as is.

Thanks.

Alan

Computer science news on Phys.org
yungman said:
Hi All

I have some old programs that can only run on XP. It is impossible to buy a new XP laptop anymore. I am thinking about buying a new Windows 7 laptop and load the XP into it so it can run the old programs. What do I have to look out when buying a laptop and also When is the XP OS I should buy to load onto the new laptop.

Thanks.

Alan

Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Win 7 has some decent compatibility tools and modes. Are you sure they won't work?

What do you mean as I am not very good with computers. I have the Windows Virtual XP but it did funny things some times like the circle look like an elipse as the aspect ratio is not correct.

Here's a guide on XP compatibility for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

Thanks Greg Bernhardt and Jhae2.718.

I can't find the commend per the website provided. BUT I right click the program and do trouble shoot compatibility and check the box that said the program will install and work in XP SP2. Then I don't know what I done! After a few rounds, I tried and installed the program, at least one seems to work in my new computer that run W7!

I am a little nervous of what I did! But so far so good.

Thanks

Alan

1. Can I still buy a laptop that can load XP OS?

Yes, you can still purchase a laptop that is capable of loading the XP operating system. However, it may be difficult to find one as XP is an older operating system that is no longer supported by Microsoft.

2. Will a modern laptop be able to run XP OS?

It depends on the specifications of the laptop. Most modern laptops are designed to run newer operating systems, but some may still be able to run XP with the right hardware and drivers.

3. Do I need to buy a specific brand or model for XP compatibility?

No, you do not need to buy a specific brand or model for XP compatibility. As long as the laptop meets the minimum system requirements for XP, it should be able to run the operating system.

4. Can I install XP on a laptop that already has a newer operating system?

Yes, it is possible to dual-boot XP with a newer operating system on a laptop. However, this may require some technical knowledge and could potentially cause compatibility issues.

5. Are there any risks or drawbacks to using XP on a modern laptop?

There are some risks and drawbacks to using XP on a modern laptop. XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, so it may be vulnerable to security threats. Additionally, some hardware and software may not be compatible with XP, limiting your options for upgrades and updates.