Can Kissing Affect Your Gut Bacteria and Digestion?

In summary, the question asks if kissing can change your gut flora and affect digestion and weight. The answer is no, as your GI flora and oral flora are different and should not mix. However, there are rare cases where this can happen, such as in unhealthy individuals with pyloric stenosis. The different areas of the GI are compartmentalized for a reason, as the flora and pH levels are specialized for each area. When this balance is disrupted, it can cause problems.
Gerenuk
Basically the question is:
Can your gut flora change slightly by kissing a lot?
Will it have an effect on your digestion?

Can you change weight because of this?

It kind of works in lab experiments with mice and it exists for babies.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
No, your GI bacteria shouldn't change with kissing. You oral flora (your mouth) and your GI flora are different flora and your GI flora shouldn't be coming up through your mouth. The vast majority of your GI flora is bacteriodies species (anaerobic bacteria), while in your mouth its mostly alpha hemolytic streptococcus species.

bobze said:
No, your GI bacteria shouldn't change with kissing...your GI flora shouldn't be coming up through your mouth.
It shouldn't but only the other night I had the pleasure of seeing a drunk man throw up in the street before immediately kissing his drunk girlfriend...

Ryan_m_b said:
It shouldn't but only the other night I had the pleasure of seeing a drunk man throw up in the street before immediately kissing his drunk girlfriend...

Gross! That made me want to wipe mouth out, lol.

On a more serious note, even after emesis I don't think the bacteria should be passing from your GI back to your mouth.

Your GI is wonderfully segmented and compartmentalized. Blocking off your stomach from your esophagus is your cardiac (lower esophageal) sphincter. Then blocking off your stomach from your SI is your pyloric sphincter. During emesis your cardic sphincter opens allowing stomach contents to be ejected. In a healthy person your pyloric sphincter should not be opening allowing passage of material from the SI up the tract. This can happen in unhealthy people when they have pyloric stenosis. There is a good reason that the areas of your GI are so quarantined. The flora from your mouth, esophagus, stomach (not that it has much flora), SI, LI and colon have different flora and compositions of flora. As well as having different pHs of content that passes between them and having specialized epithelium that deals with specific pHs. When flora from one specific compartment gets into the incorrect compartment it can cause problems.

bobze said:
Gross! That made me want to wipe mouth out, lol.
It did put me off my burger lol
bobze said:
On a more serious note, even after emesis I don't think the bacteria should be passing from your GI back to your mouth...
Ah interesting. Thanks Bobze :smile:

What is the connection between kissing and gut bacteria?

Kissing involves exchanging saliva, which contains a variety of bacteria. Some of these bacteria can end up in the digestive system, affecting the composition of gut bacteria.

Can kissing impact overall gut health?

Research has shown that regular kissing can introduce new bacteria into the gut, potentially contributing to a more diverse and healthy microbiome.

Can kissing spread harmful bacteria?

Yes, kissing can potentially spread harmful bacteria that can lead to infections or illnesses. It is important to practice good oral hygiene and avoid kissing when either partner is sick.

Do partners have similar gut bacteria after kissing?

Studies have found that partners who kiss regularly tend to have more similar gut bacteria compared to those who do not kiss as often. However, other factors such as diet and lifestyle also play a role in gut bacteria composition.

Is it possible to transfer probiotics through kissing?

While some probiotic bacteria may be present in saliva, it is not a reliable method of transferring probiotics to another person. It is best to consume probiotics through food or supplements for maximum effectiveness.