Quadratic Potential: What Does It Mean?

In summary, the paper uses the term "quadratic potential" to describe how force is proportional to distance in a spatial diffusion model, and the spring constant is 1/4 because the point is attached by a separate spring on both sides.
nigels
Hi group,

I'm currently trying to understand a physicists written paper on ecological models. In there, they used the term "quadratic potential" when comparing spatial diffusion with a spring system (see attachment 1). After searching online for this term, I found nothing directly relevant to the material at hand. Can someone tell me what it means intuitively, whether it's represented by a canonical equation, and if so, whether the derivation of that gives the form seen in the paper (attachment 2)? Thanks!

For the original equations the variables in attachment 2 refers to, see attachment (3).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 9.18.59 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 9.18.59 PM.png
    19 KB · Views: 494
  • Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 9.19.45 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 9.19.45 PM.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 513
  • Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 9.19.36 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-06 at 9.19.36 PM.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
hi nigels! :smile:

"quadratic potential" just means that the potential energy is kx2 (or k(x-a)2 if the equilibrium position is at x = a) …

it results in force being proportional to distance

for example, a spring has PE = 1/2 kx2

(i doubt there's a rigorous justification for this model …

i don't think animals are actually connected to springs! :wink:)​

Thanks, tiny-tim! That makes much more sense now. However, I noticed that in the attachment, the spring constant is 1/4. Is that because the point is attached by a separate spring on both sides? Somehow that's equivalent to have two parallel springs for some reason?

By the way, the paper actually does make the implicit analogy that animals are attached to springs when they move from their den sites. Oh theoreticians...

nigels said:
Thanks, tiny-tim! That makes much more sense now. However, I noticed that in the attachment, the spring constant is 1/4. Is that because the point is attached by a separate spring on both sides? Somehow that's equivalent to have two parallel springs for some reason?

i don't know what γ θ and φ are :confused:
By the way, the paper actually does make the implicit analogy that animals are attached to springs when they move from their den sites. Oh theoreticians...

i think the hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy made a similar assumption about humans and their home planets :biggrin:

θ(t) and φ(t) are just functions that modifies the diffusion coefficient K to be time-dependent.

γ is defined as the "rate at which territory sizes tend to return to the mean size", which I understand as "the rate at which L_1 returns to its initial state".

Yet still, I can't explain the 1/4 spring constant that seems to be used (in attachment #2). I mean, should the constant be 1/2 + 1/2 = 1 since the springs are in a series? It's been a while since I took intro physics..

Here's the open-source paper in case you're curious. http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0034033

Ugh..it's always a nightmare when physicists work on biology problems.

What is a quadratic potential?

A quadratic potential is a mathematical function used to describe the potential energy of a system, often in the field of physics or engineering. It is a type of potential function that can be represented by a quadratic equation, where the potential energy is proportional to the square of the displacement from a certain point.

How is a quadratic potential used in science?

In science, a quadratic potential is used to model and analyze various physical systems, such as particles in a potential well or simple harmonic oscillators. It helps to understand the behavior and properties of these systems, including stability, equilibrium, and energy levels.

What does a quadratic potential curve look like?

A quadratic potential curve is a parabola, with a concave-upward shape. This means that the potential energy increases as the displacement from the equilibrium point increases, and reaches a maximum at a certain point before decreasing again.

What factors affect the shape of a quadratic potential curve?

The shape of a quadratic potential curve is affected by the force constant, which determines the strength of the restoring force, and the equilibrium point, which is the point where the potential energy is at a minimum. The mass of the system also plays a role in determining the curvature of the curve.

How is a quadratic potential related to the concept of stability?

A quadratic potential can provide information about the stability of a system. If the potential curve is shallow, it indicates that the system is stable and will return to its equilibrium point after being disturbed. However, if the potential curve is steep, the system is less stable and may exhibit oscillatory behavior or even instability.