Simply Supported Beams Loads and S/BMD's

• Thread starter nobodyuknow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beams
In summary, the student is trying to do homework for a beam with a uniform triangular load, but is having difficulty with the calculations. The student has drawn a shear force diagram but has not included the concentrated load of 200 kN. When the student tries this again, they should be sure to include the distributed loads in their diagram. The student has kinks and valleys where there should be none.
nobodyuknow

Homework Statement

Here is the Simply Supported Beam with a uniform and triangular load.
http://prntscr.com/jd6b2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Newest attempt: http://prntscr.com/jdu7d

Current Step: Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nobodyuknow said:

Homework Statement

Here is the Simply Supported Beam with a uniform and triangular load.
http://prntscr.com/jd6b2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://prntscr.com/jd6my
RAy + RBy = 900 + 225 = 1125kN
ƩMA = 4.5(225) + 12(900) - 18(RBy) = 0
RBy = 656.25kN
RAy = 568.75kN

Is what I've done right so far? (Finding Reactions at A and B)
How are you arriving at these numbers? And what happened to the 200 kN concentrated point load? The UDL of 50 kN per m acts over 9 feet, not 18 feet, and its resultant lies at its cg. The triangular distribution has a resultant of 225 kN, yes, but you show it acting in the wrong location. It too acts at the cg of the triangle.

Hmm, I think I have actually interpreted this question wrong.

Is this image showing one 50kN load being distributed uniformly THEN being triangularly distributed. AND a 200kN point load? (I've been viewing it as two separate loads.

I got 225 by (50kN * 9m)/2 (Uniformly distributed load)

The problem is showing a uniformly distributed load of 50 kN/m acting over the first 9 meters of the beam. It's total load (resultant of the distributted load, which is the 'area' of the rectangle, or (50)9 = 450 kN) acts at its cg 4.5 m from the left end. Thus, when determining reactions, it can be treated as a single concentrated point load of 450 kN acting 4.5 m from the left end. You incorrectly divided that total load by 2, but showed its location correctly.
Then the problem shows a separate 200 kN concentrated point load acting at the center of the beam 9 m from the left. Don't ignore it.
Finally, the problem shows a separate triangularly distributed load that varies from 50 kN/m to 0 kN/m acting over the right half of the beam. It's resultant equivalent concentrated load is found by calculating the 'area' of that triangle and placing that load at the cg of the triangle. You correctly located that load as 12 m from the left end, but its value is wrong.

Alright I've redone it, http://prntscr.com/jdu7d

The next step is to draw bending moment and shear force diagrams. I'll post when I've got them.

I've done the shear force diagram, is this right?

Some reason I can't edit previous posts or the thread.

nobodyuknow said:
I've done the shear force diagram, is this right?

Some reason I can't edit previous posts or the thread.
No attachment. You can't edit threads after a certain time has passed..

Your shear force diagram is incorrect. You have not included the concentrated load of 200 kN.

When you try this again, be sure to show the distributed loads in your loading diagram. Do not represent them as concentrated point loads...that only works when you are calculating end reactions. And remember that the slope of the shear diagram at any point is equal to the negative of the load intensity at that point. You have kinks and valleys where there should be none.

1. What is a simply supported beam?

A simply supported beam is a type of structural element that is supported at its ends, with no other fixed support or constraint. This type of beam is commonly used in building and bridge construction.

2. What are the types of loads that can act on a simply supported beam?

The types of loads that can act on a simply supported beam include point loads, distributed loads, and moment loads. Point loads are concentrated forces acting on a small area of the beam, while distributed loads are spread out over a larger area. Moment loads are rotational forces that cause the beam to bend.

3. How do you calculate the reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam?

The reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam can be calculated using the equations ΣFx = 0 and ΣFy = 0, where ΣFx is the sum of all horizontal forces and ΣFy is the sum of all vertical forces. The sum of the reactions will equal the total load acting on the beam.

4. What is a shear and bending moment diagram?

A shear and bending moment diagram (S/BMD) is a graphical representation of the internal forces and moments acting on a simply supported beam. The diagram shows the variation of shear force and bending moment along the length of the beam, and is useful in determining the maximum stress and deflection of the beam.

5. How do you interpret a shear and bending moment diagram?

In a shear and bending moment diagram, the vertical axis represents the shear force and the horizontal axis represents the distance along the beam. The bending moment is shown as a curve, with the highest point indicating the maximum bending moment. The area under the curve represents the total bending moment, and the slope of the curve represents the shear force. A positive slope indicates a positive shear force (upward), while a negative slope indicates a negative shear force (downward).