Why Are Asbestos Sheets Used for Roofing Corrugated?

• Thread starter pukb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asbestos
In summary, the corrugated shape of asbestos sheets is based on utility and not a fabrication limitation. Corrugated sheets are more efficient at diverting dirt and rainwater from inclined roofing, and are also more waterproof due to their interlocking properties. Asbestos is still used in developing countries, but with caution due to health hazards.
pukb
The asbestos sheets sometimes used for roofing, to avoid sunlight in front of stores etc, are always corrugated. Can somebody explain why these sheets are corrugated and not flat.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, I have seen flat asbestos sheets at places, so the corrugated shape must be based on utility, rather than a fabrication limitation.

I'd imagine corrugated sheets are much more efficient at diverting dirt and rainwater from inclined roofing. If you had flat sheets, they might suffer unpredictable warpage.

Corrugated sheets also interlock easily, thereby making waterproofing possible.

I would also have thought that corrugated sheets are much stronger than flat sheets

Corrugated sheets have higher bending stiffness than flat sheets (at least in certain directions) because of the higher moment of inertia.

Where are these materials used?

I agree that corrugated sheets have a higher area moment of inertia and hence a higher bending stiffness. But why is asbestos generally used there?
Is it because it is a good thermal resistor?

Use of asbestos is no longer practiced because of the health hazzards. Back in the day, it was often used as a thermal insulator.

Please clarify - are corrugated asbestos sheets being used for new construction somewhere or not?

AlephZero said:

From your link...

"Asbestos construction in developing countries
Some countries, such as India, China, Russia and Brazil have continued widespread use of asbestos. The most common is corrugated asbestos-cement sheets or "A/C Sheets" for roofing and for side walls. Millions of homes, factories, schools or sheds and shelters continue to use asbestos. Cutting these sheets to size and drilling holes to receive 'J' bolts to help secure the sheets to roof framing is done on-site. There has been no significant change in production and use of A/C Sheets in developing countries following the widespread restrictions in developed nations[citation needed]."

1. Why are asbestos sheets used for roofing corrugated?

Asbestos sheets have been used for roofing corrugated due to their durability and resistance to fire, chemicals, and extreme weather conditions. They are also lightweight and easy to install, making them a popular choice for roofing material.

2. Is asbestos still used for roofing corrugated?

No, asbestos has been banned in many countries due to its health hazards. However, some older buildings may still have asbestos roofing materials. It is important to have a professional inspect and safely remove any asbestos-containing materials.

3. What are the health risks associated with asbestos roofing corrugated?

Asbestos fibers can become airborne when the roofing material is disturbed, and when inhaled, they can cause serious health issues such as lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis. Therefore, it is crucial to handle asbestos-containing materials with caution and proper safety measures.

4. How can I tell if my roofing corrugated contains asbestos?

The only way to confirm the presence of asbestos in roofing corrugated is through laboratory testing. It is recommended to hire a professional asbestos inspector to collect samples and test them for the presence of asbestos.

5. Are there safe alternatives to asbestos for roofing corrugated?

Yes, there are many safe alternatives to asbestos for roofing corrugated, such as metal, fiberglass, and synthetic materials. These materials offer similar durability and weather resistance without the health risks associated with asbestos.