Potential difference vs Potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational potential energy and the importance of observing a mass' potential difference rather than its specific potential energy. The point being made is that only changes in potential energy have physical significance, as the particular value assigned at a location depends on the chosen reference point. An example is given of lifting a mass from one point to another, where the change in potential energy remains the same regardless of the reference point. It is also mentioned that with gravity, the potential is always negative, but the amount of negativity varies depending on the location.
Tommy1995
G'day!
I was looking over my notes about gravitational potential energy and I came across the graphs that I drew in class of the gravitational potential energy of a mass with reference point at infinity compared with the potential energy of a mass with reference point at the surface of the earth. They had totally different potential energies, one was negative, the other was positive. And then I jotted down a little side note saying, "potential difference is important, not potential energy". School isn't until another 6 weeks so could someone please help me justify why its more important to observe a mass' potential difference rather than its potential energy? I sort of have the idea in my head but I just can't express it in words...

Physics news on Phys.org
The point being made is that only changes in potential energy (from one point to another) have physical significance. The particular value you may assign at some location depends on where you choose your reference point, but the change in PE when going from point A to point B does not.

For example: If a mass m is lifted from a desk to a shelf, it doesn't matter if you take the reference point (where PE = 0) to be the floor or the desk or anywhere else. The change in PE will be mgΔh no matter what.

With gravity, the Potential is always Negative. It's just a matter of 'how much negative'. In some places, the potential will be Higher (less negative) than in others.

1. What is the difference between potential difference and potential energy?

Potential difference and potential energy are related concepts, but they have different meanings. Potential energy is a measure of the stored energy of an object due to its position or configuration, while potential difference is a measure of the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit.

2. How are potential difference and potential energy related?

Potential difference is directly proportional to potential energy. This means that as potential difference increases, so does potential energy. In electrical circuits, potential difference is often used to describe the amount of energy that can be transferred from a power source to an electrical component.

3. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of the electric field. In this case, the potential energy decreases as the charge moves against the direction of the electric field, resulting in a negative potential difference.

4. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. A voltmeter is connected in parallel with the component or circuit being measured, and it measures the difference in electrical potential between two points.

5. What is the significance of potential difference in electrical circuits?

Potential difference is a crucial concept in understanding how electrical circuits work. It is responsible for the flow of electric current and allows for the transfer of energy from a power source to electrical components. Potential difference also determines the direction of current flow and plays a role in determining the resistance of a circuit.