Electromagnetizm -> Radon ionization -> Temperature increase?

In summary: But if you have only one parameter to observe, a deviation by 2 standard deviations would not be statistically significant. So, even if there is a correlation between earthquakes and radon emissions, it is not clear from the article how this would lead to an increase in air temperature.
Ardit
I have read somewhere that electromagnetic waves would ionize radon and that would lead to air temperature increase as air contains radon particles. Do you think this is true?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic waves can ionize and/or heat up any gas, including radon. So there is a grain of truth in that statement, but it is not correct in general, as radon presence is not necessary for heating air with the electromagnetic waves.

Electromagnetic waves can be absorbed in material, this increases the temperature of the absorbing material and its environment. Radon is not special here.
Do you have some specific setup in mind?

Edit: Same minute :(

Radon seems to be influenced by preceding earthquakes, apparently due to electromagnetic waves emmitted before earthquakes. But now I just read that we are talking about radon contained in ground waters rather than in air http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon
So, why only radon and not other elements/gases?

Ardit said:
Radon seems to be influenced by preceding earthquakes, apparently due to electromagnetic waves emmitted before earthquakes.
]

Any source for that? Even the wiki article that you linked to contradicts what you just wrote. Even if there are radon emissions they are not well correlated to the earthquakes and the emission is considered to be strictly mechanical (cracks). No "electromagnetic waves" involved.

Radon emanations are strictly mechanical (it is freed by the appearance of the cracks) and it is the radioactive radon that is the source of the air ionization.

So, are you saying that radon gas escapes from the earthquake epicenter and travels up through Earth microcracks and releases to the air? Earthquake epicenter depth are in the range of kilometers. Or is it just radon from near surface?

To be honest I have no idea. It is matter of time scale. I doubt released gas would be able to travel real far fast enough, but if it is released much earlier, it can be observed even if its source is really deep. But I am just hand waving.

The release at the very moment of the earthquake would make sense, but I don't understand its release before the earthquake. What triggers it? The pressure built process?
And I see it difficult for the gas to travel through Earth microcraks. Earth layers are dense.

Don't ask me, you started the discussion. I just told you where you were wrong.

Thank you for your participation anyway. The last paragraph of this article holds a good explanation of what we were discussing: http://www.wjla.com/blogs/weather/2011/05/the-air-over-japan-heated-up-before-the-9-0-earthquake-study-11030.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Earthquakes can have smaller mechanical changes before. Those could release radon.

As far as I can see, the article suggest the existence of some mechanism how ionizing radiation (from radon) can lead to an increased temperature, but I don't see how.

I can see one significance level given in the paper, and that is ">2 sigma". Without a good reason why this would be expected, ">2 sigma" says nothing. If you have 20 different parameters to observe, you expect that one deviates by more than 2 standard deviations.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic fields and their effects on matter. It is a fundamental force that governs the behavior of charged particles and is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. How does radon ionization occur?

Radon ionization occurs when radon gas, a naturally occurring radioactive element, decays and emits alpha particles. These alpha particles collide with air molecules, resulting in the formation of positively charged ions. These ions can then attach to dust particles and other airborne particles, making them radioactive and potentially harmful if inhaled.

3. Can radon ionization cause a temperature increase?

Yes, radon ionization can cause a small temperature increase in a confined space. This is because the ionization process releases energy in the form of heat. However, the temperature increase is usually too small to be noticeable unless there is a high concentration of radon gas in a small area.

4. Is radon ionization dangerous?

Radon ionization can be dangerous if a person is exposed to high levels of radon gas for an extended period. The ionization process creates radioactive particles that can attach to dust and other particles in the air, which can then be inhaled and cause damage to the lungs. Prolonged exposure to high levels of radon gas has been linked to an increased risk of lung cancer.

5. Can temperature changes affect radon levels?

Yes, temperature changes can affect radon levels in a confined space. Higher temperatures can increase the movement of air and dilute the concentration of radon gas, while lower temperatures can cause the gas to become more concentrated. However, temperature changes alone do not significantly impact radon levels and should not be relied upon as a method of radon control.