Changes to Site Header: Nav, Logo & Login

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: anyway, it's fixed now.If you would lift the quick links up a bit it'll be perfect--they're positioned on the separation line, I assume they should be in the light gray space, if so, don't bother this post. :biggrin:
For some reason everything looks bigger...is this normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:

Yes, it grows as you age.

EDIT: I agree with him tho, it does look bigger.

I thought I'd share a Windows 7, Firefox 17 screen shot of the home page. Are the ads shown from a list?

attachment.php?attachmentid=55184&stc=1&d=1359504348.jpg

Attachments

• header_ads.jpg
    header_ads.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 461
dlgoff said:
I thought I'd share a Windows 7, Firefox 17 screen shot of the home page. Are the ads shown from a list?

attachment.php?attachmentid=55184&stc=1&d=1359504348.jpg

Just part of the Google Adsense program

The text looks bigger. I like it. :)

Studiot said:
My Microsoft gets hazy at this point but I wondered if there was something to do with dot net?

That's incredibly cute.

Could at least the "welcome text" and "stay connected box" be lined out to match the rest of the page layout? Now they're at different heights and that looks messy.

WannabeNewton said:

x2791258 said:
Yes, it grows as you age.

EDIT: I agree with him tho, it does look bigger.

What the.. Are we even looking at the same page?

The text seems smaller over here. :confused:

... Well, now that I'm used to it, it looks the same--unless there has been some change done... BUT I remember it looked smaller yesterday..
Sigh, nevermind.

Monique said:
Could at least the "welcome text" and "stay connected box" be lined out to match the rest of the page layout? Now they're at different heights and that looks messy.

The sidebar has always been misaligned lol :)

It's looks a bit weird. Everything seems very tight. I would like some space between the forum tree (the one that says "PF>Lounge>FFA...) and whatever's below that.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Don't view on a tiny screen :D

Some of us use tiling window managers. :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
The sidebar has always been misaligned lol :)
That's an excuse to misalign other content as well? :uhh:

Could you have a look at my screenshot? I wonder why my logo looks so ugly, also a pre-existing condition that I've tried to suppress.. but since we're now discussing the header..

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 6.12.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 6.12.30 PM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 504
Monique said:
That's an excuse to misalign other content as well? :uhh:

Could you have a look at my screenshot? I wonder why my logo looks so ugly, also a pre-existing condition that I've tried to suppress.. but since we're now discussing the header..

I see the sidebar being about 5-6px too high. Is that what you are referring to?

Your images are definitely screwy. Looks like the color palette is reduced as the gradients aren't coming through. What browser are you using?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I see the sidebar being about 5-6px too high. Is that what you are referring to?
Currently when you look at the homepage the right column starting from "Welcome, " is too high. Not sure how many pixels, but if you're planning to keep it like this it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust it? All the screenshots that were posted have this deviation.

Your images are definitely screwy. Looks like color palette is reduced as the gradients aren't coming through. What browser are you using?
I use Safari, but it's the same in Firefox. I have a virtual machine with Windows and also there in IE the image looks messed up. I have OSX version 10.6.8 and checked the display color profile, but that doesn't help.

I've not encountered problems on any other website, I thought everyone was seeing the logo like that until I saw the screenshots of others :biggrin:

Ok something's wrong here. I just logged in but the header says I'm not logged in, but I can still browse mine (and others) profiles as if I were logged in. The green dot near my name show that I'm online, but the header says I'm not.

Ubuntu Studio 12.04, Firefox

attachment.php?attachmentid=55243&stc=1&d=1359680855.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot - 02012013 - 06:32:30 AM.jpg
    Screenshot - 02012013 - 06:32:30 AM.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 393
mishrashubham said:
Ok something's wrong here. I just logged in but the header says I'm not logged in, but I can still browse mine (and others) profiles as if I were logged in. The green dot near my name show that I'm online, but the header says I'm not.

Guests can view profile pages. All I can say is try clearing your cache and cookies. Restart the browser make sure "remember me" is checked. Let's see what happens.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Guests can view profile pages. All I can say is try clearing your cache and cookies. Restart the browser make sure "remember me" is checked. Let's see what happens.

Haha ok I logged out and logged back in after restarting the browser and it isn't happening anymore. But I guess I ruined this page after putting up that screenshot XD.

Greg, what did you do?? You fixed the gradient bug in my header! :biggrin:

Monique said:
Greg, what did you do?? You fixed the gradient bug in my header! :biggrin:

I wished upon a falling start last night :D

Why not fixing mine too? I have to minimize the page size to have everything in its original place. Otherwise it's a mess. I can adapt to the size change, but I have to do this every time I log in/open PF page. :grumpy:

I just found this. Not a result of my browser.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55984&stc=1&d=1361508899.jpg

Attachments

• Threads in Forum.jpg
    Threads in Forum.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 457
dlgoff said:
I just found this. Not a result of my browser.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but what's the problem here?

cristo said:
Maybe I'm being dumb, but what's the problem here?

You're not, I am. I was thinking the Announcement should have appeared on top. Never mind.

Clearly, the science joke links should be at the very top. Let's get our priorities right.

<h2>1. What changes are being made to the site header?</h2><p>The site header will be updated with changes to the navigation menu, logo, and login options.</p><h2>2. Why are these changes being made?</h2><p>The changes are being made to improve user experience and make the site more visually appealing.</p><h2>3. Will the navigation menu be easier to use?</h2><p>Yes, the navigation menu will be simplified and more user-friendly.</p><h2>4. Will the logo be completely changed?</h2><p>No, the logo will remain the same but may be updated with minor design changes.</p><h2>5. How will the login options be different?</h2><p>The login options will be more prominently displayed and may include additional security measures for user accounts.</p>

1. What changes are being made to the site header?

The site header will be updated with changes to the navigation menu, logo, and login options.

2. Why are these changes being made?

The changes are being made to improve user experience and make the site more visually appealing.

3. Will the navigation menu be easier to use?

Yes, the navigation menu will be simplified and more user-friendly.

4. Will the logo be completely changed?

No, the logo will remain the same but may be updated with minor design changes.

5. How will the login options be different?

The login options will be more prominently displayed and may include additional security measures for user accounts.