PF Thread Milestones: Reaching a Million Views and Beyond

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: Which corresponds to ~5% deleted posts.But how many of those posts were actually meaningful or added value to the discussion? That's something to think about when considering the number of posts on a forum or thread. In summary, the Lame Jokes thread on the Physics Forums website is expected to hit one million views today. This thread has been ongoing for several years and has surpassed other popular threads in terms of views. The closest thread to reaching a million views is the one discussing the Fukushima incident, which currently stands at 2.5 million views. The forum administrators have noticed an increase in traffic and popularity in
Drakkith said:
I'm showing 170 left as of 15 seconds ago!

~94 to go, so maybe in the hour or two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
~94 to go, so maybe in the hour or two.

I'm betting within the next 30min. It's going to go fast!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm betting within the next 30min. It's going to go fast!

What?

When did we hit 1, 2, and 3 million?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Mar 18-11 (helped by the Fukushima NPP accident)
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3196479&postcount=146

At 09:40 pm EST, still ~50 to go, so perhaps within the next 30 to 50 min.

The rate is about 1-2 posts/min with occasional spurts.
I thought the Random Thoughts thread had more posts. Oh yeah, the random thoughts thread has thousands more posts than the fukushima thread.

OmCheeto said:
What?

What is going on?

Evo said:
I thought the Random Thoughts thread had more posts. Oh yeah, the random thoughts thread has thousands more posts than the fukushima thread.
It does, but Random Thoughts started ~ 18 months (Sep17-09) before Fukushima, and activity only picking up after the Fukushima event.

Random Thoughts also has a lot of noise as opposed to substantive technical content.

Astronuc said:
It does, but Random Thoughts started ~ 18 months (Sep17-09) before Fukushima, and activity only picking up after the Fukushima event.
When it started doesn't matter, it's the overall contribution to the post count that matters, Random Thoughts has contributed more posts than a natural disaster. :tongue2:

OmCheeto said:
What is going on?

chatty kids...

pulls the lever, and, ...

OmCheeto said:
chatty kids...

pulls the lever, and, ...
Is your avatar a chipmunk?

Evo said:
When it started doesn't matter, it's the overall contribution to the post count that matters, Random Thoughts has contributed more posts than a natural disaster. :tongue2:
Top 5 posters:

rootX 1,732
HeLiXe 1,518
turbo 1,308
Evo 1,180
lisab 1,125

Views per post is another important metric.

and about 25 to go - unless we starting deleting some of the noise.

Astronuc said:
Top 5 posters:

rootX 1,732
HeLiXe 1,518
turbo 1,308
Evo 1,180
lisab 1,125

Views per post is another important metric.
Isn't most of the Japan thread just copies of the news and other announcements? You are really touchy about that Japan earthquake thread. This thread is about the number of posts. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Isn't most of the Japan thread just copies of the news and other announcements? You are really touchy about that Japan earthquake thread. :biggrin:

I don't think we are debating quality of posts, just quantity. However, the Japan threads have gotten a lot of respect around the web. :smile:

Fourteen posts!

Evo said:
Isn't most of the Japan thread just copies of the news and other announcements? You are really touchy about that Japan earthquake thread. This thread is about the number of posts. :biggrin:
Actually, it's a compilation with some analysis, and it is probably the most complete record of the event on the internet. Note that we had to split off topics into three or 4 other threads, and unfortunately, we lost the other large thread on Unit 3's explosion.

micromass said:
This is post 4000000!

No its not!

I don't need to be Mr 4M, but it's neat to watch the countdown.

This is post 4000000!

micromass said:
This is post 4000000!
I think it was 4000002. :rofl:

fireworks1.jpg

rnQIoUe.png

WE DID IT!

Astronuc said:
Actually, it's a compilation with some analysis, and it is probably the most complete record of the event on the internet. Note that we had to split off topics into three or 4 other threads, and unfortunately, we lost the other large thread on Unit 3's explosion.
No one cares, this is about the 4 millionth post. :smile:

Congrats Anti!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Two contests! The member with the 4,000,000th post and the member who can screenshot the stat ticker at 4,000,000 will get 6 months Gold membership. No Photoshop people! :D

AnTiFreeze3 said:
rnQIoUe.png

WE DID IT!

YAY congrats!

That's funny. I don't feel any older...

Zz.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
rnQIoUe.png

WE DID IT!

Gold to you good sir! MM receives honorary Gold membership :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Gold to you good sir! MM receives honorary Gold membership :)

Thanks! :smile:

I already have two gold memberships though, so can I donate this to somebody?

micromass said:
Thanks! :smile:

I already have two gold memberships though, so can I donate this to somebody?
I want it.

Greg, did you ever in your dreams imagine PF would reach 4 million posts and half a million threads when you started it?

Drakkith said:
Greg, did you ever in your dreams imagine PF would reach 4 million posts and half a million threads when you started it?

When I started PF, all I cared about was getting that extra credit to pass my physics course :D PF's success is shared by many people! I just push buttons back here. Usually the wrong ones! :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
When I started PF, all I cared about was getting that extra credit to pass my physics course :D
LOL!

Well, congrats boss! You've created a legacy.

<h2>What is the significance of reaching a million views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Reaching a million views on a PF thread is a significant milestone because it means that the thread has generated a lot of interest and engagement from the community. It also indicates that the topic of the thread is relevant and valuable to readers.</p><h2>How long does it typically take for a PF thread to reach a million views?</h2><p>The time it takes for a PF thread to reach a million views varies greatly and depends on several factors such as the popularity of the topic, the quality of the content, and the level of engagement from the community. Some threads may reach a million views in a matter of days, while others may take months or even years.</p><h2>What are some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread include creating a catchy and informative title, regularly updating the thread with new content, promoting the thread on social media platforms, and actively engaging with readers by responding to comments and asking for their input.</p><h2>Can reaching a million views on a PF thread lead to any opportunities?</h2><p>Yes, reaching a million views on a PF thread can lead to various opportunities such as collaborations with other scientists or researchers, invitations to speak at conferences or events, and potential media coverage for the topic of the thread.</p><h2>What are some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread include managing a large number of comments and responses, addressing any misinformation or negative comments, and maintaining the quality and relevance of the content to keep readers engaged.</p>

What is the significance of reaching a million views on a PF thread?

Reaching a million views on a PF thread is a significant milestone because it means that the thread has generated a lot of interest and engagement from the community. It also indicates that the topic of the thread is relevant and valuable to readers.

How long does it typically take for a PF thread to reach a million views?

The time it takes for a PF thread to reach a million views varies greatly and depends on several factors such as the popularity of the topic, the quality of the content, and the level of engagement from the community. Some threads may reach a million views in a matter of days, while others may take months or even years.

What are some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread?

Some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread include creating a catchy and informative title, regularly updating the thread with new content, promoting the thread on social media platforms, and actively engaging with readers by responding to comments and asking for their input.

Can reaching a million views on a PF thread lead to any opportunities?

Yes, reaching a million views on a PF thread can lead to various opportunities such as collaborations with other scientists or researchers, invitations to speak at conferences or events, and potential media coverage for the topic of the thread.

What are some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread?

Some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread include managing a large number of comments and responses, addressing any misinformation or negative comments, and maintaining the quality and relevance of the content to keep readers engaged.