Inverse Laplace of 1s: Formula-Based Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the inverse Laplace of 1/s using different methods such as integral and formula-based approaches. The use of MATLAB and Mathematica is also mentioned. The correct property for finding the inverse is also clarified.
indianaronald
This is very tricky for me. How to find the inverse laplace of 1s. I haven't been taught the integral method of inverse. Only the formula based , splitting terms kind of thing. I used MATLAB and found it was dirac delta. But how do I get to it without using the integral for inverse?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I look at this in Mathematica I get a derivative of the delta function, in other words:
[tex]
\mathcal{L}^{-1}\left\{s\right\} = \frac{d}{dt}\delta(t)
[/tex]

16180339887 said:
When I look at this in Mathematica I get a derivative of the delta function, in other words:
[tex]
\mathcal{L}^{-1}\left\{s\right\} = \frac{d}{dt}\delta(t)
[/tex]

Hey yeah, figured that out. It's actually by this property:

inverse( df/dt)= s F(s) where laplace(f) = F(s)

laplace ( dirac delta )=1 ( known property )

laplace( d(diracdelta)/dt ) = s*(1)

hence, inverse( s) = d(diracdelta)/dt

Indianaronald,

Almost, be careful that:

[itex]\mathcal{L}\left\{ \frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{dt}} \left(t\right)\right\}=s\mathcal{L}\left\{f\left(t\right)\right\}[/itex]

Not the inverse as you mentioned it.

jfgobin said:
Indianaronald,

Almost, be careful that:

[itex]\mathcal{L}\left\{ \frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{dt}} \left(t\right)\right\}=s\mathcal{L}\left\{f\left(t\right)\right\}[/itex]

Not the inverse as you mentioned it.

yeah yeah. That's what I meant. Typo.

1. What is the formula for finding the inverse Laplace of 1s?

The formula for finding the inverse Laplace of 1s is 1/s, where s is the Laplace variable.

2. How do I use the formula to solve for the inverse Laplace of 1s?

To use the formula, simply plug in the value of s and then perform the necessary arithmetic operations to find the inverse Laplace of 1s.

3. Can the formula be used for any value of s?

Yes, the formula can be used for any value of s, as long as it is a constant and not a function of time.

4. What is the significance of the inverse Laplace of 1s in mathematics?

The inverse Laplace of 1s is a fundamental formula in mathematics and is used in various applications such as signal processing, control systems, and differential equations.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the inverse Laplace of 1s?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using tables, partial fraction decomposition, and contour integration. However, the formula-based solution is the most straightforward and commonly used method.