The dielectric function of a metal using LD model.

In summary, The Lorentz-Drude model is used to study the dispersive properties of metals. It is different from the classical dielectric function, and is composed of intraband and interband effects. The model assumes absorption to be described by a sum of Lorentzian lines, and the real part can be obtained using Kramers Kronig relations. The second formula on the website mentioned is similar to the one in the paper "Optical Properties of Metallic Films for Vertical-Cavity Optoelectronic Devices", with the terms representing bound and free electrons.
sixers0130
I'm studying the dispersive properties of metals using Lorentz-Drude model, but I'm confused about the equation set-up.

What is LD model different from the classical dielectric function using for other dielectrics? Namely: ε(w) = ε’ + iε’' where the imaginary part is the attenuation.

In LD model, ε is composed of intraband (free-electron) effects and interband (bound-electron) effects. Physically what do they mean?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
btw, does anyone know what is the dielectric function (in symbolic form) they are using?

http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Meep_Tutorial/Material_dispersion

sixers0130 said:
btw, does anyone know what is the dielectric function (in symbolic form) they are using?

http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Meep_Tutorial/Material_dispersion
You could be a bit more specific. Do you mean the first formula ## \epsilon=(ck/\omega)^2##? That is just the relation between the dielectric constant and the index of refraction ##\epsilon=n^2##.

It would be useful if you could cite the form of the LD model you are referring too.
I think the Lorentz Drude model assumes absorption (or equivalently imaginary part of epsilon) to be described by a sum of Lorentzian lines. The real part can then be obtained using Kramers Kronig relations. The absorption lines are due to inter- or intraband transitions.

Dear DrDu,

Thanks for the reply and sorry about the confusing! I mean the second formula from the page where numbers are used to plug in. I try to compare this one with LD model from the paper "Optical Properties of Metallic Films for Vertical-Cavity Optoelectronic Devices" where equations are stated in the attachment.

They look very similar. I try to compare if there is just some variable exchange but couldn't find it. So I'm just wondering what would the symbolic form of the second equation from the site would be.

Thanks so much for the help again!
(btw can someone teach me how to type equations within text?!)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 497
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 482
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 507
The terms with the "b" (supposedly for band or bound) describe the reaction of bound electrons in a harmonic oscillator with frequency ##\omega_j##. Correspondingly the f_jare called oscillator strengths.

Up to the 1, the term with "f" can be seen to be of a similar form with ##\omega_j## being equalt to 0. Hence these electrons are unbound or free.

1. What is the dielectric function of a metal?

The dielectric function of a metal is a complex-valued function that describes the way a metal interacts with electric fields. It relates the polarization of the metal to the applied electric field, and is an important factor in determining the optical and electrical properties of metals.

2. What is the LD model?

The LD model, also known as the Lindhard-Drude model, is a theoretical model used to describe the dielectric function of a metal. It takes into account the motions of free electrons in the metal and their interactions with the applied electric field.

3. How is the dielectric function of a metal calculated using the LD model?

The dielectric function of a metal can be calculated using the LD model by considering the free electron density, the velocity of the electrons, and the electron-electron scattering rate. These parameters can be determined from experimental data or theoretical calculations.

4. What factors affect the dielectric function of a metal?

The dielectric function of a metal is affected by various factors such as temperature, electron density, and the presence of impurities or defects in the metal. It also depends on the frequency and direction of the applied electric field.

5. How does the dielectric function of a metal relate to its optical and electrical properties?

The dielectric function of a metal is directly related to its optical and electrical properties. It determines the reflectivity, transmittance, and absorption of light by the metal, as well as its conductivity and permittivity. Understanding the dielectric function is essential in designing and optimizing the performance of metal-based devices and systems.