What is the average power consumption of a car at different speeds?

In summary: Johansen, an electronics engineer at the University of Utah, has done a lot of work on this topic. He says the average car loses about 30 percent of its energy when it's in motion, so if you could find a way to capture that energy, you'd be doing some pretty serious power savings.In summary, According to Vidar Johansen, an electronics engineer at the University of Utah, a car loses about 30 percent of its energy when it's in motion, so if you could find a way to capture that energy, you'd be doing some pretty serious power savings.
Ziv7
I need rough values for power consumption of an average sized car at different speeds.
Does anyone know how to either calculate or where I could find such information?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
How many different speeds? You can start by calculating it from the fuel economy. You can also buy devices to report fuel consumption in realtime.

I don't need anything exact and I don't have a specific car. I'm just interested in approximates power/fuel consumption at speeds like 30,50 & 70 mph.
I'm doing a study on energy harvesting in suspension system and want to find out the % savings such systems could have on the average user.

Ziv7 said:
I don't need anything exact and I don't have a specific car. I'm just interested in approximates power/fuel consumption at speeds like 30,50 & 70 mph.
I'm doing a study on energy harvesting in suspension system and want to find out the % savings such systems could have on the average user.
You need weigth of the car and suspension travel during a ride. Energy output depends basicly on how bumpy the road is, the suspension compliance, weight of the car, how long distance traveled. Harvesting all the energy loss makes very stiff suspensions...

I know about the power harvested as I have performed an experiment and done some analysis on matlab.
What I want is rough power consumption of an average car. (obviously the consumption is different at different speeds)
It is just for comparison purposes to represent the % of potential energy savings such systems can lead to.

Thanks

Well, for my last car, a Mazda 6, it got about 35mpg from 30-50mph and about 30mpg at 70mph. Do you know to use those values?

Ziv7 said:
I know about the power harvested as I have performed an experiment and done some analysis on matlab.
What I want is rough power consumption of an average car. (obviously the consumption is different at different speeds)
It is just for comparison purposes to represent the % of potential energy savings such systems can lead to.

Thanks
You would probably not save much if you want to maintain the suspension and stability properties of your car. The most energy you can extract from the suspension is having no suspension at all. Ofcourse the ride would be rather unpleasent, but mpg would increase.
Well, suspenson is not the enemy, but the suspensions damping mechanism. You can replace these dampers with coils and magnets, charging a battery and feed the electricity directly to an electric motor.
How it affects mpg depends on how the wheels bounce up and down. The average HP to maintain 50mph is approx 15 HP for a typical family car - say Mazda 6, and 35mpg. You have found the energy you can harvest from the suspension from the weight of the car and road conditions.

Then your calculations can be subtracted from the energy required to maintain velocity of 50mph on a straight and level road. That would provide the answer you're looking for.

Vidar

What is the average power consumption of a car?

The average power consumption of a car varies depending on the make and model, but it is typically around 10-15 kilowatt-hours per 100 miles. However, this can vary greatly depending on driving habits, road conditions, and other factors.

How is the power consumption of a car measured?

The power consumption of a car is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) or watt-hours (Wh). This measurement is calculated by multiplying the voltage and amperage of the car's battery. It can also be measured using a device called a wattmeter.

What factors can affect the power consumption of a car?

There are several factors that can affect the power consumption of a car, including driving habits, road conditions, vehicle weight, and weather conditions. Using accessories such as air conditioning or heating can also significantly increase power consumption.

How does the type of fuel affect the power consumption of a car?

The type of fuel used in a car can greatly impact its power consumption. For example, electric cars have lower power consumption compared to gasoline or diesel cars. The quality and purity of the fuel can also affect power consumption, as well as the efficiency of the car's engine and transmission.

Can modifications to a car affect its power consumption?

Yes, modifications to a car can affect its power consumption. For example, adding larger or wider tires can increase the rolling resistance and require more energy to move the car. Additionally, adding aftermarket accessories such as a roof rack or spoilers can also impact the car's aerodynamics and increase power consumption.