Initial velocity

by manimaran1605
Tags: initial, velocity
manimaran1605
Sep26-13, 08:19 AM
P: 28
A stone released from balloon moving upwards with some constant velocity, the initial velocity of stone is same as the velocity of balloon with opposite sign, but how? What i thought is that the instant stone is released which goes upwards with balloon, stone which is going upwards would stop (t=0) velocity (u=0).
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
ZapperZ
Sep26-13, 08:29 AM
Mentor
P: 28,839
Quote Quote by manimaran1605 View Post
A stone released from balloon moving upwards with some constant velocity, the initial velocity of stone is same as the velocity of balloon with opposite sign, but how? What i thought is that the instant stone is released which goes upwards with balloon, stone which is going upwards would stop (t=0) velocity (u=0).
So you're saying that there's NO difference between just releasing the stone from a stationary balloon that isn't moving? Think again.

Zz.
dauto
Sep26-13, 08:59 AM
P: 1,287
A stone released from balloon moving upwards with some constant velocity, the initial velocity of stone is same as the velocity of balloon with opposite sign, but how?
No, not opposite sign. Same sign.
What i thought is that the instant stone is released which goes upwards with balloon, stone which is going upwards would stop (t=0) velocity (u=0).
You're free to think whatever you want. That doesn't make it right.

Nugatory
Sep26-13, 10:24 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,972

Initial velocity

What i thought is that the instant stone is released which goes upwards with balloon, stone which is going upwards would stop (t=0) velocity (u=0).
Think about that for a moment. When you throw a stone upwards, you release it from your hand while your hand is moving upwards rapidly... What happens?

Register to reply