Minimum daily whole-body X-ray dose to cause radiation poisoning?

In summary, there is limited data on the effects of large whole-body X-ray doses spread over long periods of time, but it is generally recommended to avoid doses above 0.5 mSv per day to prevent radiation poisoning. However, there is no specific dose at which cancer risk is guaranteed, but higher doses may increase the risk significantly. It is recommended to take precautions and limit exposure to X-rays to reduce the risk of long-term health effects.
Quantumbit97
Hi,

If I were given a whole-body X-ray dose daily for many days (a year for example)
What would be the highest dosage per day which would result in an increased cancer risk but no noticeable signs of radiation poisoning by the end of the year, or during?

And also, I've read that a 2KRad dose would increase the risk of cancer to 100%
(Nearly 100%)

If this dose was spread over a year, would the cancer be most likely to result at the end of the year, or before, or far into the future?This is not a homework question, I want to make a radiation safety page for my website.
And also I have had one too many accidents with X-rays due to my being an idiot, so this is probably the reason I am concerned.Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
There is very, very little data on people who have had large whole-body doses spread over long periods of time. What data there is is with higher energy exposures (n, beta, gamma).

Quantumbit97 said:
I want to make a radiation safety page for my website.
"Avoid anything that comes even close to that" is probably a good idea.

If a specific dose within a very short timescale does not lead to direct effects, it should not lead to those effects if the same is more spread out. So everything below ~.5mSv/day should not lead to radiation poisoning - that is a very low lower bound, but you don't want to get anything close to this value anyway.

1. What is the minimum daily whole-body X-ray dose that can cause radiation poisoning?

The minimum daily whole-body X-ray dose that can cause radiation poisoning is approximately 100 mSv (millisieverts). This is equivalent to 100,000 microsieverts or 100,000,000 nanosieverts.

2. How does radiation poisoning occur from X-ray exposure?

Radiation poisoning can occur from X-ray exposure when a person is exposed to high levels of ionizing radiation, which can damage the cells in the body. This damage can lead to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and in severe cases, organ failure.

3. Can radiation poisoning occur from a single X-ray exposure?

In most cases, radiation poisoning does not occur from a single X-ray exposure. The amount of radiation exposure from a typical diagnostic X-ray is very low and does not pose a significant risk. However, repeated or prolonged exposure to X-rays can increase the risk of radiation poisoning.

4. How can I protect myself from radiation poisoning during X-ray procedures?

To minimize the risk of radiation poisoning during X-ray procedures, it is important to follow safety protocols and use protective equipment, such as lead aprons and shields. It is also important to limit the number of X-ray procedures and only undergo them when medically necessary.

5. What are the long-term effects of radiation poisoning from X-ray exposure?

The long-term effects of radiation poisoning from X-ray exposure can vary depending on the level of exposure and individual factors. In some cases, there may be an increased risk of developing certain types of cancer. It is important to follow up with a healthcare provider if you have been exposed to high levels of radiation to monitor for any potential health effects.