Real microstates change within mixing two gases

In summary, during the mixing of two gases with no change in total volume, there is an increase in entropy due to the closer energy states of the particles. This phenomenon is similar to gas expansion and can be explained by Dalton's Law, which states that each gas is a vacuum to the other gas. However, the reason for the decrease in band gap during expansion is not fully understood.
sludger13
Hello,
I'm looking for some changes of energy states of particles, as two gases are mixing together without total volume changing. That would explain increasing entropy better than their position combination.
I know the particle energy states are getting more closely (the band gaps are reducing) as the gas is expanding. Is this the same effect?
Thanks for every remark or advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the answer - it is the same phenomenon like a gas expansion.
Dalton's Law that "each gas is a vacuum to the other gas"
Though I don't get it, why that band gap decreasing should happen during expansion.

1. What is the definition of a microstate?

A microstate is a specific arrangement of particles or molecules in a system. It represents the exact position and momentum of each individual particle at a given time.

2. How does mixing two gases affect the microstates?

Mixing two gases increases the number of possible microstates in the system. This is because the molecules of each gas can now move freely throughout the entire volume, leading to a larger number of possible arrangements.

3. Why is the concept of microstates important in understanding gas behavior?

The concept of microstates is important because it helps us understand the relationship between macroscopic properties, such as pressure and temperature, and the microscopic behavior of individual particles in a gas. By studying microstates, we can better understand the behavior and properties of gases.

4. How do real microstates change within mixing two gases?

In real systems, the number of microstates does not actually change when mixing two gases. Instead, the number of accessible microstates increases due to the increased volume available for the molecules to move in. This leads to a greater number of possible arrangements and a more disordered system.

5. Can the number of microstates ever decrease when mixing two gases?

No, the number of microstates can never decrease when mixing two gases. This is because the mixing process only allows for an increase in the number of accessible microstates, not a decrease. This is a fundamental principle of thermodynamics known as the second law.