Limitations of the nernst equation

In summary, the individual is seeking information about electrochemical cells and the use of the Nernst equation to predict cell potential values. They have found some threads on this topic on a forum, but have not been able to find a thorough explanation on the limitations of the Nernst equation, particularly at low concentrations. They are seeking guidance on where to find more information, preferably online or in a less expensive resource.
Tedstain
Oh hi there, first post. I'm looking into electrochemical cells and using to the nernst equation to predict cell potential values, and came across a few threads on the topic already on this forum (although none really answered my question), so thought this would be the place to ask.

I know that at low concentrations the nernst equation does not give a very accurate prediction of cell potential. I'm struggling to find anywhere that will give me a good in depth explanation as to why.
So yeah, could anyone point me in the right direction, or just explain to me here? Also what other limitations are there to the nernst equation?
Thanks for any help

Chemistry news on Phys.org
thanks, doesn't really go into enough detail though.

If you need details, check some serious source, like Electrochemistry by Hamann, Hamnett & Vielstich, or some equivalent book.

Don't really have £50 to spend on a book at the moment
Surely there must be some online sources I'm missing?

No idea about online sources - doesn't mean they don't exist.

If all else fails, try a library.

1. What is the Nernst equation and what does it measure?

The Nernst equation is a mathematical equation used to calculate the potential difference (or voltage) of an electrochemical cell. It measures the equilibrium potential of a cell, which is the potential difference between the anode and cathode when there is no current flowing through the cell.

2. What are the limitations of the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as concentration gradients, temperature, and activity coefficients, which can affect the measured potential difference. It also only applies to reversible electrochemical reactions.

3. How does temperature affect the Nernst equation?

The Nernst equation includes a temperature coefficient, which means that a change in temperature can affect the calculated potential difference. As temperature increases, so does the potential difference, and vice versa.

4. Can the Nernst equation be applied to all electrochemical systems?

No, the Nernst equation is only valid for electrochemical reactions that are reversible. It cannot be applied to irreversible reactions or systems where the reactants are not in equilibrium.

5. How accurate is the Nernst equation?

The accuracy of the Nernst equation depends on how closely the conditions of the electrochemical cell match the ideal conditions assumed by the equation. In real-world applications, there may be variations and limitations that can affect the accuracy of the calculated potential difference.