Projectile motion & velocity on a certain height

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a ball thrown at an angle with an initial speed and how to show that its speed at a certain height is independent of the angle. The participants used equations for velocity and position to eliminate the angle-term and solve the problem. There was also a minor sign error that was corrected.
Lisa...
Hey!

I have the following problem to solve:

Consider a ball that is thrown with initial speed v0 at an angle a above the horizontal. If we consider it's speed at some height h above the ground show that v(h) is independent of a.

I started to solve the problem this way:

v= sqrt (vx^2 + vy^2)
vx= v0x= v0 cos a
vy= v0y- gt= v0 sin (a) -gt

Substitution of vx and vy in the first formula gives:

v= sqrt(v0^2 (cos^2)a + v0^2 ((sin^2)a) - 2 v0 gt sin a + g^2 t^2)
v^2= v0^2 (cos^2)a + v0^2 ((sin^2)a) - 2 v0 gt sin a + g^2 t^2
v^2= v0^2 ((cos^2)a + (sin^2)a) -2 v0 gt sin a + g^2 t^2
v^2= v0^2 -2 v0 gt sin a + g^2 t^2

Now I STILL have a term with a in it (-2 v0 gt sin a ) How in the world will I get rid of it?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use an eqn for Vy that is independent of t, but involves h

But what would that equation be? I only know a formula for Vy with t... and what about Vx? That is always v0 cos a right? How will I get rid of that cosine?

Lisa... said:
But what would that equation be? I only know a formula for Vy with t... and what about Vx? That is always v0 cos a right? How will I get rid of that cosine?
Well, you should use the equations for the position x and y. Can you write them down in general form ? Like you correctly did for the velocity in the x and y-direction.
Once you have these equations, you can use them to get rid of the angle-term (-2 v0 gt sin a ) in the velocity equation
marlon

Last edited:
Lisa... said:
Hint: v² = u² + 2as

You guys are really amazing! Thank you! I solved the problem the following way:
y(t)= h= y0 + v0y t + 1/2 gt^2 , with y0=0 (no initial height is given) and v0y= v0 sin a.

Therefore: h= v0 t sin a + 1/2 gt^2 and v0 t sin a= h- 1/2 gt^2.

Substitution in v^2= v0^2 -2 v0 gt sin a + g^2 t^2 gives:

v^2= v0^2 -2g(h-1/2gt^2) + g^2t^2 = v0^2 -2gh + g^2t^2 + g^2t^2= v0^2 -2gh + 2 g^2 t^2.

v= sqrt (v0^2 -2gh + 2 g^2 t^2.)

I can assume this is correct, right?

Lisa... said:
You guys are really amazing! Thank you! I solved the problem the following way:
y(t)= h= y0 + v0y t + 1/2 gt^2 , with y0=0 (no initial height is given) and v0y= v0 sin a.
Therefore: h= v0 t sin a + 1/2 gt^2 and v0 t sin a= h- 1/2 gt^2.
Substitution in v^2= v0^2 -2 v0 gt sin a + g^2 t^2 gives:
v^2= v0^2 -2g(h-1/2gt^2) + g^2t^2 = v0^2 -2gh + g^2t^2 + g^2t^2= v0^2 -2gh + 2 g^2 t^2.
v= sqrt (v0^2 -2gh + 2 g^2 t^2.)
I can assume this is correct, right?
Just one sign error. The bolded bit above should be "- 1/2 gt²".

A simpler version could be,

V² = Vx² + Vy²

where Vx = Vo.cos@,
Voy = Vo.sin@,
Vy² = Voy² - 2gh (using the hint: v² = u² + 2as)
Vy² = Vo².sin²@ - 2gh

So,

V² = Vo².cos²@ + Vo².sin²@ - 2gh
V² = Vo²(cos²@ + sin²@) - 2gh
V² = Vo² - 2gh
===========

Ah ok... how foolish of me!
Of course it needs to be -1/2gt^2 :blushing: :redface:

Thanks again for your help!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone. This type of motion is characterized by a curved path, also known as a parabola.

2. How is the velocity of a projectile determined?

The velocity of a projectile is determined by its initial speed, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. The velocity of a projectile is constantly changing due to the influence of gravity, which causes the object to accelerate towards the ground.

3. What factors affect the height of a projectile?

The height of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. A higher initial velocity and a smaller launch angle will result in a higher projectile height, while a larger angle and a lower initial velocity will result in a lower height.

4. Can the velocity of a projectile change during its flight?

Yes, the velocity of a projectile can change during its flight due to the influence of gravity. As the object moves through the air, it will experience an acceleration due to gravity, which will cause its velocity to increase or decrease depending on the direction of its motion.

5. What is the maximum height a projectile can reach?

The maximum height a projectile can reach is determined by its initial velocity and the angle at which it is launched. The maximum height occurs when the projectile's vertical velocity becomes zero, and it starts to fall back towards the ground. This maximum height is also known as the apex of the projectile's trajectory.