How to plot this region in (x,y) space

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot Space
In summary, you need to find the maximum of two numbers. The max is found by comparing the two numbers and taking the one with the larger value.
maverick280857
Hi everyone

I need some help with an elementary problem...I have to sketch the region described by

[tex]max(|x|,|y|) \leq 1[/itex]

I know what max and mod (absolute value) mean but I'm just troubled because of the occurence of [itex]|y|[/itex]. Any help would be appreciated...

PS--This is not homework.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just the desciption of the square of 2unit side length, centered in (0,0). Usually in that kind of formalism, (x,y) are describing the coordinates of a point on a "ideally" flat infinite plane...In your case you just take all points for which -1<=x,y<=1 which is separated into -1<=x<=1 and -1<=y<=1, because there is no relationships between x and y given here.

Thanks.

The thing is..how do you reconcile with the occurence of [itex]|y|[/itex]?? I mean...how are you to compare the two operands? Are x and y independent variables in the two orthogonal directions?

I know that

[tex]max(x,y) = \frac{x+y}{2} + |\frac{x-y}{2}|[/tex]

Does this fit in somewhere?

Yes, x and y are independent...you just compare as the max functions say : max(x,y)=x if x>y and max(x,y)=y if y>x...you could do : max(|x|,|y|)<=1 equiv. to |max(x,y)|<=1 and with your formula : [tex] \frac{1}{2}|x+y+|x-y||<=1[/tex]

I'm sorry I'm somewhat dumb...I can't see how I can plot the max of two independently varying numbers...some more spoonfeeding needed. :biggrin:

If |x|< |y| then max(|x|,|y|)= |y|. Graph |y|= 1.
If |y|< |x| then max(|x|,|y|)= |x|. Graph |x|= 1.

Those two graphs form the boundary of the region. Now do you see what the region is?

Great. Thanks! I see it now :smile:

I realize how dumb I've been throughout this thread! :cry:

Anyway thanks for all your help.

Cheers
Vivek

1. How do I plot a region in (x,y) space?

To plot a region in (x,y) space, you will need to have the equation or inequalities that define the boundaries of the region. You can then graph these equations or inequalities on a coordinate plane to visualize the region.

2. What is the purpose of plotting a region in (x,y) space?

Plotting a region in (x,y) space allows you to visually represent the relationships between different variables and their boundaries. This can help in understanding the behavior of a system or making predictions about certain scenarios.

3. How do I know which direction to plot the region in (x,y) space?

The direction of the region in (x,y) space depends on the orientation of the coordinate plane. The x-axis typically represents the horizontal direction and the y-axis represents the vertical direction. The region will be plotted in the direction of these axes based on the given equations or inequalities.

4. Can I plot a region in (x,y) space without knowing the equations?

No, you will need to have the equations or inequalities that define the boundaries of the region in order to plot it accurately in (x,y) space. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the shape or size of the region.

5. How do I label the region in (x,y) space?

To label the region in (x,y) space, you can use the coordinates of the vertices or points on the boundary of the region. You can also label the axes and any important points within the region to provide context and make the plot more informative.