Seagate Acquires Maxtor: Implications for the Future of Hard Drives

• Thread starter rachmaninoff
  • Start date
In summary, Seagate has acquired Maxtor, potentially leading to the Maxtor line becoming part of Seagate's "affordable solution" or being rebranded as Seagate drives. Some people are not concerned about this change, while others express concerns about potential impacts on product quality. This is not the first acquisition in the hard drive industry, as Maxtor and Quantum merged a few years ago.
rachmaninoff
[SOLVED] Seagate buys Maxtor

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051221/bs_nm/maxtor_seagate_dc

What will this mean for hard drives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
1 of 2

Either the Maxtor line survives as the Seagate "affordable solution" or Maxtor drives have a Seagate label slapped on them.

It won't bother me since I buy Western Digital.

i bought Hitachi

I exclusively buy Seagate HD's. I really hope this won't have effect on the quality of their products. I can't really think of any possible problems from this takeover, but I never really liked Maxtor.

Didn't Maxtor and Quantum merge just a few years ago?

Another dog eats dog corporate IT move... I wish that these companies would stop eating there competitors...

1. What is the significance of Seagate acquiring Maxtor?

The acquisition of Maxtor by Seagate is a major development in the hard drive industry. It brings together two of the largest players in the market and creates a dominant force in the production of hard drives.

2. How will this acquisition affect the future of hard drives?

This acquisition is expected to have significant implications for the future of hard drives. It will likely lead to increased competition and innovation, as well as potential changes in pricing and market share.

3. Will the acquisition result in any changes for customers?

As of now, it is unclear if customers will see any immediate changes as a result of the acquisition. However, in the long term, it is possible that customers may benefit from increased product offerings and improved technology.

4. What are the potential benefits of this acquisition for Seagate and Maxtor?

The acquisition has the potential to benefit both companies in various ways. For Seagate, it expands their product portfolio and strengthens their position in the market. For Maxtor, it provides access to Seagate's resources and expertise, potentially leading to improved products and increased market share.

5. Are there any concerns or potential challenges associated with this acquisition?

As with any large acquisition, there are potential challenges and concerns that may arise. These could include integration issues, potential job losses, and regulatory hurdles. However, both Seagate and Maxtor are experienced companies and are likely to navigate these challenges successfully.