Visualizing Level Curves of f(x,y) = sin(2phi)

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the function f(x,y)= \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2} has a family of level curves given by y=\frac{x}{c}\left( 1\pm\sqrt{1-c^2}\right) for -1\leq c\leq 1. For c= 0, the level curve is a single straight line through the origin, and for other values of c, the level curve is two straight lines passing through the origin.
Benny
Hi, I'm having trouble drawing the level curves of a function because I can't really visualise what's going on.

[tex]
f\left( {x,y} \right) = \frac{{2xy}}{{x^2 + y^2 }}
[/tex]

In polar coordinates (x,y) = (rcos(phi),rsin(phi)) I get:[tex]f\left( {r\cos \phi ,r\sin \phi } \right) = \sin \left( {2\phi } \right)[/tex].

Level curves are obtained by setting f equal to a constant. In the case of a circle for example f(x,y) = x^2 - y^2 - 9 if I set f(x,y) = k where -9 < k <= 0, in the x-y plane I get level curves which are circles with radii between 0 and 3 (3 inclusive).

I'm not sure which happens here though. I have f(polar) = sin(2phi) where phi is the polar angle. Since, 1- <= sin(x) <= 1 then does that mean I can only set f equal to values in the range [-1,1]?

I'm still not really sure what the level curves should be like. Any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a particular reason for converting to polar coordinates?

Level curves are points (x,y) that give f(x,y) a constant value:
[tex]f(x,y)= \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2}= c[/tex].

That is the same as 2xy= c(x2+ y2 or
x2+ (2/c)xy+ y2= 0. Obvious point: if c= 1 that is
x2+ 2xy+ y2= (x+ y)2= 0 which is the single straight line y= -x. It should be easy to show that for other values of c, it can still be factored and the graph will be two straight lines intersecting at (0,0).

[itex]f(x,y)= \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2}= c\Rightarrow y^2-\frac{2xy}{c}+x^2= 0[/itex], which is quadratic in y, hence

[tex]y=\frac{ \frac{2x}{c} \pm\sqrt{ \left( \frac{2x}{c}\right) ^2 - 4x^2} }{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Converting to polar coordinates just seemed to simplify the expression. I'll have another look at it. Thanks for the help.

A little more detail...

[itex]f(x,y)= \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2}= c\Rightarrow y^2-\frac{2xy}{c}+x^2= 0[/itex], which is quadratic in y, hence

[tex]y=\frac{ \frac{2x}{c} \pm\sqrt{ \left( \frac{2x}{c}\right) ^2 - 4x^2} }{2} = \frac{x}{c}\left( 1\pm\sqrt{1-c^2}\right)[/tex]

note that this family of level curves given by [itex]f(x,y)=c[/itex] is only meaningful for [itex] -1\leq c\leq 1[/itex]. This is because, for every [itex](x,y)\in \mathbb{R} ^2[/itex], we have

[tex] 0\leq (x - y)^2 =x^2 - 2xy + y^2 \Rightarrow 2xy\leq x^2 + y^2 \Rightarrow f(x,y)= \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2} \leq 1[/tex]

and

[tex] 0\leq (x + y)^2 =x^2 + 2xy + y^2 \Rightarrow -2xy\leq x^2 + y^2 \Rightarrow -1\leq\frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2} =f(x,y) [/tex]

thus

[tex]f(x,y)= \left| \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2} \right| \leq 1[/tex]

so no other values of c are even possible (except c=0) and we thereby gain assurence that our family of curves is complete. The plot below shows 7 level curves superimposed on the plot of f(x,y) over -3 < x < 3, -3 < y < 3 .

For c=0, we get 2xy=0, so either x=0 or y=0, but not both, as that would involve division by zero, and so among our level curves, count also the x-axis & the y-axis less the origin.

Attachments

• level curves.jpg
    level curves.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 571
Last edited:
Thanks again for your help. I'll go over your work after I get some sleep.:zzz:

I too will go over my work after I get some sleep. So be careful if you get up before me.

benorin said:
[tex]y=\frac{ \frac{2x}{c} \pm\sqrt{ \left( \frac{2x}{c}\right) ^2 - 4x^2} }{2} = \frac{x}{c}\left( 1\pm\sqrt{1-c^2}\right)[/tex]
note that this family of level curves given by [itex]f(x,y)=c[/itex] is only meaningful for [itex] -1\leq c\leq 1[/itex]. This is because, for every [itex](x,y)\in \mathbb{R} ^2[/itex], we have
[tex] 0\leq (x - y)^2 =x^2 - 2xy + y^2 \Rightarrow 2xy\leq x^2 + y^2 \Rightarrow f(x,y)= \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2} \leq 1[/tex]
and
[tex] 0\leq (x + y)^2 =x^2 + 2xy + y^2 \Rightarrow -2xy\leq x^2 + y^2 \Rightarrow -1\leq\frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2} =f(x,y) [/tex]
thus
[tex]f(x,y)= \left| \frac{2xy}{x^2+y^2} \right| \leq 1[/tex]
so no other values of c are even possible (except c=0) and we thereby gain assurence that our family of curves is complete. The plot below shows 7 level curves superimposed on the plot of f(x,y) over -3 < x < 3, -3 < y < 3 .
For c=0, we get 2xy=0, so either x=0 or y=0, but not both, as that would involve division by zero, and so among our level curves, count also the x-axis & the y-axis less the origin.

In other words, if c= 0, the level curve is a single straight line through the origin and for other values of c, the level curve is two straight lines passing through the origin, as I said above.

1. What is the purpose of visualizing level curves of f(x,y) = sin(2phi)?

The purpose of visualizing level curves is to represent the behavior of a function in two-dimensional space. In the case of f(x,y) = sin(2phi), the level curves show the changes in the value of the function as the two variables, x and y, vary.

2. How are the level curves of f(x,y) = sin(2phi) plotted?

The level curves are plotted by fixing the value of the function and determining the points in the x-y plane that satisfy that value. These points are then connected to create a curve.

3. What do the different level curves represent?

The different level curves represent the values of the function f(x,y) = sin(2phi) at different levels or heights. The higher the level, the greater the value of the function at that point.

4. How can level curves help in understanding the behavior of f(x,y) = sin(2phi)?

Level curves can help in understanding the behavior of the function by showing how it changes as the two variables, x and y, vary. They can also reveal patterns and relationships between the variables.

5. Are there any limitations to visualizing level curves of f(x,y) = sin(2phi)?

Yes, there are limitations to visualizing level curves. One limitation is that they only show the behavior of the function in two dimensions, so it may not fully capture the complexity of the function. Additionally, the choice of levels can also affect the interpretation of the curves.