Lightening on Mars? - Does Mars Have "Dusty Thunderstorms"?

• Thread starter MonstersFromTheId
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, Mars has sandstorms that can produce impressive lightning displays. Nobody knows for sure if lightning storms occur on Mars, but it's a possibility.
MonstersFromTheId
I realize that it doesn't rain on Mars (well, o.k., at least it doesn't appear to have rained on Mars in a *very* long time, and the forecast for rain any time soon isn't all that good), but you don't necessarily have to have rain to have lightening.

Mars has (at least by Earth standards), some pretty hellacious sand storms, and my guess would be that some of those sand storms are capable of producing equally impressive lightning shows on occasion.

Is that true? Does Mars have its own dusty versions of "thunderstorms"?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dumb question?

23 views and no replies. Hmmm.
Did I just ask a really dumb question here? Or is it that nobody has the answer? Give it time, somebody will get to it sooner or later? Or...?

I'm not sure how hellacious the sand storm really are. Mars' atmosphere is less than 1% as thick as Earth's, so even a 100 mph wind would feel like a gentle breeze. I read once that a sand storm on Mars is the equavalent of a hazy day on Earth. I'm not sure if that is correct, but how much sand can be blown around by a near-vacuum atmosphere? Enough to give a hazy appearance at least.

Deffinitely a point Tony. But when I used the term "hellacious" I was thinking more in terms of size than intensity. My understanding is that Mars is prone to sandstorms that are just, well,.. huge! At least in comparison to sandstorms on Earth.

But sandstorms aside, do you know anything at all about lightning on Mars?

I could be completely wrong here, but I seem to recall NASA saying something about static discharges being detected(or perhaps suspected) to occur in certain Martian duststorms. I think was some concern over the ROVERS safety under those conditions.
But again, I'm not sure about this. I read so much information that I could have my facts askew.

pallidin said:
I could be completely wrong here, but I seem to recall NASA saying something about static discharges being detected(or perhaps suspected) to occur in certain Martian duststorms. I think was some concern over the ROVERS safety under those conditions.
But again, I'm not sure about this. I read so much information that I could have my facts askew.

You might be tniking of this:

http://powerweb.grc.nasa.gov/pvsee/publications/marslight.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, Janus. Great read.

Janus, thanks!

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was wondering about. Fabulous paper, absolutely fascinating.

It appears that the answer to my question is...

...nobody knows for sure if lightning storms occur on Mars. They might, but nobody's seen one yet.

One of the things that I think is just totally cool, is the idea that the first person to actually get to see Martian lightning (if it exists), may well be in for a particularly special treat in that Martian lightning might not look like lightning on Earth.

Another world, another place, a different place.

Picture being camped out at night, on the upper slopes of a place like Olympus Mons, watching a sandstorm hundreds of miles away, and hundreds of miles across, with pale flashes like "heat lightening" (or maybe even something nothing like lightning on Earth), playing across the horizon.

Someday somebody is going to get to see some truly spectacular sights on Mars. I just hope I'm still around to ogle the pics and hear the stories.

1. How does lightning occur on Mars?

Lightning on Mars is caused by a similar process as on Earth, where charged particles within a storm cloud separate and create an electric field. When the electric field becomes strong enough, it creates a discharge of electricity, which we see as lightning.

2. What is the difference between lightning on Earth and Mars?

One major difference is the atmospheric composition. Mars has a thin atmosphere with mostly carbon dioxide, while Earth has a much thicker atmosphere with a mix of nitrogen, oxygen, and other gases. This affects how lightning forms and behaves on each planet.

3. Are there any other factors that contribute to lightning on Mars?

Yes, the presence of dust storms and the planet's topography can also play a role in lightning formation on Mars. Dust storms can create a charge imbalance in the atmosphere, and the topography can affect how the electric field is distributed, resulting in more frequent or intense lightning strikes.

4. Can we observe lightning on Mars from Earth?

Yes, lightning on Mars has been observed by orbiting spacecraft and rovers on the surface. However, due to the planet's distance from Earth and its thin atmosphere, it is much more challenging to observe lightning on Mars compared to Earth.

5. Is lightning on Mars dangerous for potential human exploration?

While lightning on Mars may be more frequent and intense compared to Earth, it is unlikely to pose a significant danger to future human explorers. The thin atmosphere and low atmospheric pressure make lightning strikes less powerful, and precautions can be taken to minimize the risk of exposure.