2 Accelerating Rotational Points in One System

In summary: Hmmm...not seeing it. I must not be visualizing it right. Ah well, that was never one of my strong points...I guess someone else better take it from here.
Mechanics
A 2 dimensional circle of radius "r" and mass "m" is attached through the center of the circle by a rigid, massless rod to a fixed point of rotation a distance "l" away. A massless rocket is attached to the outside of the circle a height of 0 away from the circle's surface and "r" away from the circle's center. The rocket exerts a constant force "F" tangentially to the circle. The system is ideal. How would I go about finding the total system energy with respect to time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize it's mechanics, but does this really belong in introductory physics?

Last edited:
Mechanics said:
A 2 dimensional circle of radius "r" and mass "m" is attached through the center of the circle by a rigid, massless rod to a fixed point of rotation a distance "l" away. A massless rocket is attached to the outside of the circle a height of 0 away from the circle's surface and "r" away from the circle's center. The rocket exerts a constant force "F" tangentially to the circle. The system is ideal. How would I go about finding the total system energy with respect to time?

If I'm visualizing this correctly, we have two axes of rotation at right angles. You should be able to work out the rotational kinetic energy for each rotation individually. How do you add the kinetic energies in this case? (Hint: Is kinetic energy a scalar or a vector?)

-Dan

Dan, the axes of rotation are not at right angles to each other. The circle is free to rotate around its center and the fixed point at the end of the rod a distance "l" from the center of the circle. The rocket will also at times be slowing down the system as the periods about each axes of rotation is not necessarily the same so the force will at times be in the direction opposite to the motion.

Mechanics said:
Dan, the axes of rotation are not at right angles to each other. The circle is free to rotate around its center and the fixed point at the end of the rod a distance "l" from the center of the circle. The rocket will also at times be slowing down the system as the periods about each axes of rotation is not necessarily the same so the force will at times be in the direction opposite to the motion.

Hmmm...not seeing it. I must not be visualizing it right. Ah well, that was never one of my strong points...I guess someone else better take it from here.

-Dan

If no one here can help me solve it, can this thread be moved back to Classical Physics where I posted it?

1. What is meant by "2 Accelerating Rotational Points in One System"?

"2 Accelerating Rotational Points in One System" refers to a scenario in which there are two points in a system that are rotating at different speeds and accelerating at different rates.

2. How do you determine the acceleration of these two points?

The acceleration of each point can be determined using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, by measuring the forces acting on each point and knowing their masses, we can calculate their respective accelerations.

3. Can the rotational points in this system have different directions of rotation?

Yes, the rotational points in this system can have different directions of rotation. This is common in situations where one point is rotating clockwise while the other is rotating counterclockwise.

4. What are some real-world examples of "2 Accelerating Rotational Points in One System"?

One example is a car driving around a curved road. The front and back wheels of the car are rotating at different speeds and accelerating at different rates as the car turns. Another example is a satellite orbiting around a planet, where the satellite and planet are rotating at different speeds and accelerating at different rates due to the gravitational force between them.

5. How does the acceleration of these two points affect the overall system?

The acceleration of these two points can affect the overall system in various ways, depending on the specific situation. In some cases, the different accelerations may cause the system to become unbalanced and result in a change in its overall motion. In other cases, the accelerations may cancel each other out, resulting in a stable system. Additionally, the different accelerations can also lead to different forces or stresses within the system, which can impact its overall behavior and stability.