Why can material possessions only bring temporary satisfaction?

• Thread starter Sprinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation touches on the idea of finding long-lasting happiness and different ways to achieve it. Some suggest leading a virtuous life, while others mention spiritual development and detachment from material things. The importance of maintaining a positive attitude and finding a healthy balance between fun and responsibility is also discussed. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to determine their own path to happiness.
Sprinter
Sometimes, I am longing for something, like a Video Camcorder. After having it, I feel the joy for a short while only, followed by an un-named emptiness. Why ?
What can really make me happy forever?o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
tried suicide?

i can make you happy baby, just gimme some whipped cream, a blindfold and a new calculator.

tribdog said:
tried suicide?
Kick your ass will be good?:biggrin:

you asked for forever. kicking my ass only satisfies for a couple of hours.

Then I will keep on kicking till eternity. :lol:

try it and it'll feel like an eternity, I guarantee it

Sprinter said:
Sometimes, I am longing for something, like a Video Camcorder. After having it, I feel the joy for a short while only, followed by an un-named emptiness. Why ?

By leading the virtuous life described by Aristotle.

well, you could start by trying to capture all those moments you find meaningful with that video camera. Maybe after a while, sequences will roll through your head, and you'll know what music to put over it, or if it should just be dialog or silence, and your previous accomplishments will vector you towards new endevours ad infinitum... all with a measly little video camera...

Don't worry, Sprinter, a tribdog guarantee isn't worth the paper it's scribbled in crayon on.

I like JasonRox's answer.

JasonRox said:
By leading the virtuous life described by Aristotle.
Most satisfaction from obtaining material things is transient.

I agree with JasonRox, but would add that others (various philosophical and religious authors) have mentioned leading a virtuous life.

Perhaps one can read "To Have and To Be" by Erich Fromm.

Otherwise, refrain from attachment to material things and develop oneself spiritually.

However, in the end, one must determine one's own happiness.

Astronuc said:
Most satisfaction from obtaining material things is transient.

I agree with JasonRox, but would add that others (various philosophical and religious authors) have mentioned leading a virtuous life.

Perhaps one can read "To Have and To Be" by Erich Fromm.

Otherwise, refrain from attachment to material things and develop oneself spiritually.

However, in the end, one must determine one's own happiness.

That's true. There are plenty of other philosophical ways to lead a virtuous life. I'm only familiar with Aristotle's version, and to me, it made a lot of sense.

I'm sure the others make sense too. The idea is to just be genuinely good in my opinion.

As far as to my liking. I'm all good with leading a virtuous life and all, but even that can miss something. Consider always being concerned with doing the right thing... That may not lead to true happiness. Consider Aristotle at a frat party or something... he would calm everyone down and influence people to not be crazy and have fun, and instead the party would turn into a discussion about right and wrong... Not that that is boring, but don't you sometimes want to mix things up a bit?

JasonRox said:
I'm sure the others make sense too. The idea is to just be genuinely good in my opinion.
Agree! :cool: :smile:

I think Dalai lama has got the right idea. No book has changed my life more than The art of happiness. Happiness exist within your mind, to reach real happiness you need to train that mind. Make happiness into a habit.

You will be happy forever when you are satisfied with yourself, help other as much as you can, do what feels right and always always maintain a positive attitude. Most grief we drag down upon ourself through our mindset/attitude.

”if you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying. If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying.” - (suposed to be said by) Gautama Buddha

Jonny_trigonometry said:
Consider Aristotle at a frat party or something... he would calm everyone down and influence people to not be crazy and have fun, and instead the party would turn into a discussion about right and wrong... Not that that is boring, but don't you sometimes want to mix things up a bit?
Why would he want to convince them not to have fun? I think he would try to help them find a healthy balance, which for me includes having fun. He was a Greek too, after all! :tongue2:

Azael said:
I think Dalai lama has got the right idea. . . . . Happiness exist within your mind, to reach real happiness you need to train that mind. Make happiness into a habit.

You will be happy forever when you are satisfied with yourself, help other as much as you can, do what feels right and always always maintain a positive attitude. Most grief we drag down upon ourself through our mindset/attitude.
I essentially agree. I am not so much satisfied with who I am, but I accept myself, and I always see room for improvement.

Azael said:
”if you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying. If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying.” - (suposed to be said by) Gautama Buddha

"Don't worry. Be Happy." :biggrin: by Bobby McFerrin :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Why would he want to convince them not to have fun? I think he would try to help them find a healthy balance, which for me includes having fun. He was a Greek too, after all! :tongue2:

Yeah, you're right.

Aristotle would not calm people down. He'd probably enjoy himself.

Jonny you got it all wrong. Leading a virtuous life does not mean that you comtemplate about what's right or wrong all day. All you need to do is think rationally before you act. That's all you need to do. Well, you must also act too.

If you think Aristotle's views are silly when it comes to happiness, you have a lot to learn. Maybe you should try applying them as much as you can for the next 3 months or so, then see how you feel about yourself later. Trust me, you just get happier about things.

Note: I'm assuming you know how to act according to Aristotle. It's not as easy as it looks, but practice is what it takes.

JasonRox said:
Yeah, you're right.

Aristotle would not calm people down. He'd probably enjoy himself.

Jonny you got it all wrong. Leading a virtuous life does not mean that you comtemplate about what's right or wrong all day. All you need to do is think rationally before you act. That's all you need to do. Well, you must also act too.

If you think Aristotle's views are silly when it comes to happiness, you have a lot to learn. Maybe you should try applying them as much as you can for the next 3 months or so, then see how you feel about yourself later. Trust me, you just get happier about things.

Note: I'm assuming you know how to act according to Aristotle. It's not as easy as it looks, but practice is what it takes.

I'm just throwing seeds. Seems to me there is no one size fits all solution. I'm just trying to throw in some reasonable doubt. I'm saying that maybe one person's perspective is different than another person's perspective.

Astronuc said:
I essentially agree. I am not so much satisfied with who I am, but I accept myself, and I always see room for improvement.

"Don't worry. Be Happy." :biggrin: by Bobby McFerrin :smile:

Exactly :) no one is perfect. When people learn to accept that they will live much happier lifes.

Good quote:approve:

Sprinter said:
This is often known as "buyer's remorse." The Greeks had a word for it,"telos." THis is the feeling of emptiness you get after attaining your goal. Many have experienced it: the greatest part of an adventure is getting there. Once you get there, you realize it is over, and there is no more adventure, and it's a downer.

I'd say don't worry about not being happy all the time. Without the down time, how do you know you're happy? Stay balanced, live in the present, um...don't do drugs.[/SOAPBOX]

Sprinter, if I could give you one book it would be "Be Here Now" by Baba Ram Dass. Unfortunately, I can't give it to you because I gave it to somebody else (that was the 2nd copy I gave away!). Maybe your library can get you a copy.

turbo-1 said:
Sprinter, if I could give you one book it would be "Be Here Now" by Baba Ram Dass. Unfortunately, I can't give it to you because I gave it to somebody else (that was the 2nd copy I gave away!). Maybe your library can get you a copy.
What does it talk about?

Sprinter said:
What does it talk about?
It's about the author's self-enlightenment. Anything I can say about the book would be understatement, but it strikes at the heart of dissatisfaction and unhappiness, and it would be a great message for those who are either living in the past or yearning for something in the future. If you search on-line, you will find it for about $10 or so.

1. Why do material possessions only bring temporary satisfaction?

Material possessions can only bring temporary satisfaction because they are external and tangible objects that are subject to change and decay. They can provide a temporary sense of pleasure and happiness, but that feeling is often short-lived and can fade quickly.

2. What is the psychological explanation for the temporary satisfaction of material possessions?

Psychologically, material possessions only bring temporary satisfaction because humans have a tendency to adapt to their surroundings and experiences. This means that after a while, the excitement and novelty of the possession wears off and we become used to it, leading to a decrease in satisfaction.

3. Can material possessions provide long-term happiness?

No, material possessions cannot provide long-term happiness. True happiness and fulfillment come from within and are not dependent on external factors such as material possessions. In fact, relying on material possessions for happiness can lead to a constant cycle of seeking out new possessions for temporary satisfaction.

4. Are there any studies that support the idea that material possessions only bring temporary satisfaction?

Yes, there have been numerous studies that show that material possessions only bring temporary satisfaction. These studies have found that individuals who prioritize material possessions and wealth as a source of happiness tend to have lower levels of overall life satisfaction and well-being.

5. How can we break the cycle of seeking temporary satisfaction from material possessions?

Breaking the cycle of seeking temporary satisfaction from material possessions involves shifting our mindset and focusing on experiences and relationships rather than possessions. This can include practicing gratitude, setting goals that align with our values and purpose, and finding fulfillment in meaningful activities and connections with others.