What are the fundamentals of honors chemistry at NYU?

In summary, Honors Chemistry at NYU covers the basics of general chemistry, including chemical reactions, atomic structure, and the periodic table. It also delves into more advanced topics such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and equilibrium. The course emphasizes problem-solving and critical thinking skills through hands-on laboratory experiments and theoretical calculations. Students are expected to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a solid understanding of basic chemistry principles before enrolling in this course. Honors Chemistry at NYU provides a rigorous and comprehensive education in chemistry, preparing students for further studies in the field or related disciplines.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/honors.chem/lectures/notes.html

Lecture 1 -- Introduction and mathematical preliminaries

Lecture 2 -- Origins of molecules, relative masses, and the mole concept

Lecture 3 -- Chemical formulae, chemical equations and the fundamental laws of reactions

Lecture 4 -- Balancing equations and stoichiometry

Lecture 5 -- Chemical bonding I: Background, Lewis model and ionic bonding

Lecture 6 -- Chemical bonding II: Covalent bonding and Lewis structures.

Lecture 7 -- Chemical bonding III: Polar covalent bonds and molecular geometry.

Lecture 8 -- The gaseous state I: Boyle's and Charles' laws and the ideal gas law.

Lecture 9 -- The gaseous state II: The kinetic theory of the ideal gas.

Lecture 10 -- The gaseous state III: The hard sphere and van der Waals gases.

Lecture 11 -- Phases of matter, phase transitions and intermolecular forces.

Lecture 12 -- Solutions I: Composition, preparation and microscopic coordination.

Lecture 13 -- Solutions II: Stoichiometry, titrations and colligative properties.

Lecture 14 -- Thermodynamics I: Introduction and statement of the zeroth and first laws.

Lecture 15 -- Thermodynamics II: Enthalpy, thermochemistry and properties of an ideal gas.

Lecture 16 -- Thermodynamics III: Time reversal invariance of mechanics, microstates and entropy, and the Carnot cycle.

Lecture 17 -- Thermodynamics IV: Efficiency, Thermodynamic definition of entropy and the Second Law

Lecture 18 -- Thermodynamics V: Discussion of the 2nd Law, Gibbs free energy.

Lecture 19 -- The nature of chemical equilibrium and derivation of equilibrium constants.

Lecture 20 -- Equilibrium calculations, Le Chatelier's principle and temperature dependence of the equilibrium constant.

Lecture 21 -- Acids and bases: Basic definitions and acid/base strength.

Lecture 22 -- Acid-base equilibrium calculations, microscopic picture of hydronium and hydroxyl solvation and diffusion.

Lecture 23 -- Heterogeneous equilibria: activity, extraction processes, solubility.

Lecture 24 -- Heterogeneous equilibria: Precipitation, common ions, effects of pH, complex ions.

Professor M. Tuckerman
1001L Main Building
Phone: 8-8471
E-mail: mark.tuckerman@nyu.edu

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

What is the curriculum for NYU - Honors Chemistry I?

The curriculum for NYU - Honors Chemistry I includes topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, and chemical kinetics. Students will also learn laboratory techniques and conduct experiments to reinforce their understanding of these concepts.

What are the prerequisites for enrolling in NYU - Honors Chemistry I?

The prerequisites for enrolling in NYU - Honors Chemistry I typically include a strong foundation in high school chemistry, including knowledge of basic concepts such as the periodic table, chemical reactions, and balancing equations. It is also recommended to have a strong understanding of algebra and basic calculus.

What is the expected workload for NYU - Honors Chemistry I?

The expected workload for NYU - Honors Chemistry I is typically 4-5 hours per week, including lectures, labs, and independent studying. Students are expected to spend additional time reviewing and practicing the material outside of class.

What is the format of exams in NYU - Honors Chemistry I?

The format of exams in NYU - Honors Chemistry I may vary, but they typically include a combination of multiple-choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. Some exams may also include a laboratory component.

What resources are available for students in NYU - Honors Chemistry I?

Students in NYU - Honors Chemistry I have access to various resources, such as online study materials, practice problems, and tutoring services. The professor and teaching assistants also hold office hours and are available for one-on-one help and guidance.