Magnetic Force,EMF, Flux question

In summary, the person has three questions about magnetic force and flux through a coil with given parameters and direction of movement. They ask for confirmation on their calculations and direction of the magnetic field. It is clarified that the loop in question is a square and the person makes a correction to their previous calculation. They also mention needing to find the magnetic force and direction on just the lower section of the loop.
nophun6
I have three questions that I think I have the answers to, but would like someone to tell me if I did them correctly. Thanks!
Q1. Given B= 0.8T, a coil with 1 loop with length of 20cm, a current of 5.0A, what are the size and direction of the magnetic force on the loop?
A1. Would I just use Fm= IxBxL = (5A)(.8T)(.2m) = .8 N ?
As for the direction I know it involves the right hand rule, and the current moves to the right, so would the magnetic force be pointing up ?

Q2. What is the magnetic flux through the loop?
A2. Would I use: Flux= ABcos0 = pi(.2)^2 (.8T) (cos0) = .101 Wb ??

Q3. If the magnetic field has a cut off at the top of the loop, and the loop is pulled completely out of the field upwards at v = .2 m/s:
what EMF would be generated and if the resistance was 4 ohms, what would the current be?
A3: EMF= Blv = (.8T)(.2m)(.2m/s) = .032V
O = EMF/R = .032V / 4 ohms = .008Ado these look right? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nophun6 said:
I have three questions that I think I have the answers to, but would like someone to tell me if I did them correctly. Thanks!
Q1. Given B= 0.8T, a coil with 1 loop with length of 20cm, a current of 5.0A, what are the size and direction of the magnetic force on the loop?
A1. Would I just use Fm= IxBxL = (5A)(.8T)(.2m) = .8 N ?
As for the direction I know it involves the right hand rule, and the current moves to the right, so would the magnetic force be pointing up ?

Q2. What is the magnetic flux through the loop?
A2. Would I use: Flux= ABcos0 = pi(.2)^2 (.8T) (cos0) = .101 Wb ??

Q3. If the magnetic field has a cut off at the top of the loop, and the loop is pulled completely out of the field upwards at v = .2 m/s:
what EMF would be generated and if the resistance was 4 ohms, what would the current be?
A3: EMF= Blv = (.8T)(.2m)(.2m/s) = .032V
O = EMF/R = .032V / 4 ohms = .008A

do these look right? thanks.

You have to tell us in what direction the B field is pointing! (with respect to the normal of the loop, let's say)

nrqed said:
About Q2: It looks like you used the length of the loop for the radius!

Pat

Oh wait, it's a *square* loop (when I saw your solution I thought you had in mind a circular loop!). Then it's ok to square the length of one side, but there shoul dbe no factor of [itex] \pi [/itex] there!

whoops, two things: i forgot to mention that in question 1 I nedd to find the magnetic force and direction on just the Lower section of the loop, and the second thing is i guess i wasnt thinking about the pi, thanks for pointing that mistake out.
If i am looking at just the lower section of the loop would it be: F= IBLSin(theta) where theta is 90??
thanks.

nophun6 said:
whoops, two things: i forgot to mention that in question 1 I nedd to find the magnetic force and direction on just the Lower section of the loop, and the second thing is i guess i wasnt thinking about the pi, thanks for pointing that mistake out.
If i am looking at just the lower section of the loop would it be: F= IBLSin(theta) where theta is 90??
thanks.

Ah.. ok. Yes, then theta is 90. I assume you know how to get the direction of the force...

And your answer for the induced emf seems correct.

Pat

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnetic objects. It is caused by the interaction between electrically charged particles within the magnetic field.

2. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, which is the force that is created when an electric current flows through a conductor. It is also known as electromotive force and is measured in volts.

3. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in webers (Wb). It is directly proportional to the number of magnetic field lines passing through the area.

4. What is the relationship between magnetic force and EMF?

Magnetic force and EMF are closely related as they both involve the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. EMF is created by a changing magnetic field, which in turn can create a magnetic force on a conductor in its path.

5. How can magnetic force, EMF, and flux be applied in real life?

Magnetic force, EMF, and flux have numerous applications in our daily lives. They are used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in MRI machines for medical imaging. They are also used in everyday objects such as speakers, headphones, and hard drives.