Electric current in a rotating ring

In summary: In question (b), you are asked to calculate the charge over time. You do this by multiplying the charge density with the tangential speed of the ring. The difference between the two is that in question (b) you use the derivative formula, while in question (a) you don't.
Elysium
I'm currently stuck on this question on the image attachment. Any help would be definitely ppreciated.

Ok, so from what I understand, it asks what is the current that passes through the fixed line.

For part (a), I see that the current is 'discontinuous', and I'm not enitrely sure how to solve it.

For part (b), I multiply the charge density [tex]\lambda = \frac{Q}{\pi a}[/tex] with the tangential speed of the ring [tex]a \omega[/tex]. That would give me the charge over time, right? I believe I should of done this part with differentials though with a segment [tex]dQ = \lambda dr[/tex].

Attachments

• a5p40001.JPG
    a5p40001.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,190
Physics news on Phys.org
*bump* still need help.

Elysium said:
I'm currently stuck on this question on the image attachment. Any help would be definitely ppreciated.

Ok, so from what I understand, it asks what is the current that passes through the fixed line.

For part (a), I see that the current is 'discontinuous', and I'm not enitrely sure how to solve it.

For part (b), I multiply the charge density [tex]\lambda = \frac{Q}{\pi a}[/tex] with the tangential speed of the ring [tex]a \omega[/tex]. That would give me the charge over time, right? I believe I should of done this part with differentials though with a segment [tex]dQ = \lambda dr[/tex].

In the first problem you simply want to consider how much charge is passing through the indicated arc per unit time. In other words, don't use the derivative formula, use [tex]I= \Delta Q / \Delta t [/tex]. The simplest would be to choose delta t as one period. How much charge passes through that arc in one period?

Your part b seems valid to me.

-Dan

topsquark said:
In the first problem you simply want to consider how much charge is passing through the indicated arc per unit time. In other words, don't use the derivative formula, use [tex]I= \Delta Q / \Delta t [/tex]. The simplest would be to choose delta t as one period. How much charge passes through that arc in one period?

The full [tex]Q[/tex] of course, neglecting the bits on both poles that just spin.

So that would make [tex]Q / T[/tex] and

[tex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi}{T}[/tex]
[tex]T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega}[/tex]

So that means the answer is:

[tex]I = \frac{Q \omega}{2 \pi}[/tex]

Ok so that's the same answer as question (b). I guess that makes sense since they both have the same amount of Q passing through the same period. So what's the difference? One is done by substitution and the other by multiplying the density with the tangential speed?

1. What is electric current in a rotating ring?

Electric current in a rotating ring refers to the flow of electrical charge through a closed, circular loop that is rotating. This phenomenon is also known as electromotive force (EMF) induction and is governed by Faraday's law of induction.

2. How is electric current induced in a rotating ring?

Electric current is induced in a rotating ring when there is relative motion between the ring and a magnetic field. This movement creates a changing magnetic flux, which in turn induces an electric current in the ring according to Faraday's law.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of electric current in a rotating ring?

The magnitude of electric current in a rotating ring is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of rotation, and the size and shape of the ring. Additionally, the presence of other conductive materials near the ring can also affect the induced current.

4. What are the applications of electric current in a rotating ring?

Electric current in a rotating ring has various practical applications, including in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in induction heating and electromagnetic braking systems.

5. How is electric current in a rotating ring different from a stationary ring?

Electric current in a rotating ring is different from a stationary ring because it is induced by a changing magnetic flux, whereas a stationary ring does not experience this change. Additionally, the direction of the induced current in a rotating ring depends on the direction of rotation, while the direction of current in a stationary ring is constant.