Accelerated charges radiate energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of accelerated charges radiating energy and the need to broaden one's understanding for upcoming exams. The individual is seeking hints or resources for proving this concept using Maxwell's theories, specifically with a link to relevant information. The conversation ends with a suggestion of freely available lecture slides that may be helpful.
Kenny Lee
Hi! Accelerated charges radiate energy. I've always just taken that to word, but my exams are coming, and I would really like to broaden my understanding a little. How can we go about proving that using Maxwell's theories? I'm not asking for a complete derivation because I know that might be too involved. I just need some hints, how I may approach the problem, or if possible a link to some website with relevant information. I know the derivation for plane EM wave, so if there's anyway that relates to the present question, pls let me know. Thansk very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here area few lecture slides i fond freely available on the web. I had a quick look through and all relevant equations seem to be there and they're not all derived if you want to have a go yourself.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~kuncic/lectures/HEA_L5.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! That's a great question. You're right, proving that accelerated charges radiate energy can be done using Maxwell's theories. One way to approach this problem is to use the Poynting vector, which describes the flow of electromagnetic energy. The Poynting vector is given by the cross product of the electric field and magnetic field, and it represents the direction and magnitude of energy flow.

In the case of an accelerated charge, we can use the Larmor formula to calculate the power radiated by the charge. The Larmor formula states that the power radiated by an accelerated charge is proportional to the square of the acceleration and the fourth power of the charge. This power is then related to the Poynting vector, showing that energy is indeed being radiated.

Another approach is to use the equations for electric and magnetic fields produced by a moving charge, which can be derived from Maxwell's equations. These equations show that the fields are not static, but vary with time, indicating the presence of energy being radiated.

I would recommend looking into these approaches and seeing how they relate to Maxwell's theories. You can also check out resources on electromagnetic radiation and the Poynting vector for more information. Good luck on your exams!

1. What is the concept of "accelerated charges radiate energy" in physics?

According to Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism, any charged particle that is accelerating or changing its direction of motion will emit electromagnetic radiation. This process of emitting energy in the form of electromagnetic waves is known as "accelerated charges radiate energy".

2. How does the emission of electromagnetic radiation affect the energy of an accelerated charge?

The act of emitting electromagnetic radiation causes the accelerated charge to lose energy. This is because the energy of the charge is being converted into the energy of the emitted radiation. As a result, the accelerated charge will experience a decrease in its kinetic energy.

3. What is the relationship between the acceleration of a charge and the amount of radiation it emits?

The amount of radiation emitted by an accelerated charge is directly proportional to the magnitude of its acceleration. This means that the greater the acceleration of the charge, the more energy it will radiate in the form of electromagnetic waves.

4. Can a stationary charge emit radiation?

No, a stationary charge does not emit any radiation. This is because the emission of radiation requires the charge to be accelerating or changing direction, which a stationary charge does not do.

5. How is the emission of radiation by accelerated charges utilized in modern technology?

The emission of radiation by accelerated charges is utilized in various modern technologies, such as radio broadcasting, television broadcasting, and wireless communication. These technologies use antennas to accelerate charges and emit electromagnetic waves, which are then received by devices for communication purposes.