Does Weed Accelerate Neurogenesis in the Hippocampus?

• Medical
  • Thread starter eeka chu
  • Start date
In summary, the study found that the synthetic cannabinoid HU210 was increasing neurogenesis in the hippocampus, contrary to popular belief.
eeka chu
The other thread's locked, but an interesting paper I read recently investigated the link between memory function in the hippocampus and weed - the green menace of modern society!

The investigate used a synthetic cannabinoid called HU210 which is [Dr Evil Voice] 100 times stronger than regular weed, for the ultimate high. [/Dr Evil Off]

Contary to popular belief, they found that the HU210 was accelerating neurogenesis in the hippocampus, as opposed to retarding it.

And that the two controls were pretty much stationary.

p.s. I also just discovered that my cup is the perfect size to size McVities digestives in. Great!

Biology news on Phys.org
Do you have a link?

Please give a citation for the paper so the rest of us can read it to discuss it. I know there are a few recent papers out on cannabinoid effects on the brain. I might know of the one you're talking about, but best to be sure with a reference (give the authors, article title, journal, date, volume, and page numbers if you don't have a direct link, and I can look it up with that info...if you only have a news article about it, see if they mention the journal it's published in, and the names of the lead author on the study, and give us the date of the news article, which will help narrow down the date the study was published).

Yep, the research was done by Dr. Xia Zhang (department of psychiatry at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon) and published in the 2005 November edition of "the Journal of Clinical Investigation"

Here's a link to one of the media announcements; http://www.postchronicle.com/news/health/article_212862.shtml

Interesting bit at the bottom about the possibility of a correlation between neurogenesis and mood swings.

towelie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is neurogenesis?

Neurogenesis is the process by which new neurons are formed in the brain.

2. How does getting high affect neurogenesis?

There is some evidence that certain drugs, such as marijuana, can stimulate neurogenesis in certain areas of the brain. However, excessive drug use can also potentially have negative effects on neurogenesis.

3. Can neurogenesis improve cognitive function?

Some studies have suggested that neurogenesis may play a role in improving cognitive function, but more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between neurogenesis and cognitive abilities.

4. Is neurogenesis a continuous process?

Yes, neurogenesis occurs throughout our lives, but it may decrease with age. Certain lifestyle habits, such as exercise and a healthy diet, can promote neurogenesis.

5. Can neurogenesis be manipulated for therapeutic purposes?

There is ongoing research looking into the potential use of neurogenesis as a treatment for various neurological disorders, but more studies are needed to determine its effectiveness and safety.

Back