Length Contraction, which way is it?

In summary, The conversation discusses different examples in special relativity, specifically the concepts of time dilation and length contraction. The source of confusion is the understanding of simultaneity. The conversation covers examples of muon decay and a rocket ship and how the equations of special relativity apply to each of them. The key to understanding is to differentiate between proper time and proper length and when to divide or multiply by gamma.
Living_Dog
I thought I understood SR's time dilation and length contraction. But after reading the section on "simultameity" in Tipler I am just as confused as before. Here is my source of confusion.

[A] Muon Decay:

S frame = frame of the earth; S' frame = frame of the muon

A muon falls to Earth at a speed of 0.998c ('c' of course is the speed of light). In its own frame it's lifetime is 2.0 μs, and the distance it travels is only 600 m.

But, in the Earth's frame, the speed measured is the same, but the length is 9000 m and the lifetime is 30 μs. This makes perfect sense to me since, L = γL' and the distance (L' < L) is contracted for the moving particle.

Rocket Ship:

A rocket ship flies past 2 points, A and B in S (the Earth's frame) and is measured to be a length, L, when the front is over the point B and the back is over the point A. Tipler's explanation is that this is the contracted length of the ship in S', namely: L = L'/γ. Therefore the ship's length in S' is L' = γL. This means that the moving ship's length is longer than that measured in the Earth's frame, or, L ' > L. And this is a direct contradiction to length contraction in [A]!

I know I the truth is that I don't understand this so I came here for an answer.

Thanks in advance!

-LD

Physics news on Phys.org
In its own frame it's lifetime is 2.0 μs, and the distance it travels is only 600 m.
That's not true; in its own frame, it doesn't travel! It's the Earth that traveled 600 m.

Hurkyl said:
That's not true; in its own frame, it doesn't travel! It's the Earth that traveled 600 m.

Doesn't the muon "measure" 600 m, but we measure 9000 m?

V = 0.998c = L'/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t' = L/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

So, 0.998c = 600 m/ 2.0 [tex]\mu[/tex]s = 9000 m/ 30 [tex]\mu[/tex]s

No??

-LD

Living_Dog said:
Doesn't the muon "measure" 600 m, but we measure 9000 m?

V = 0.998c = L'/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t' = L/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

So, 0.998c = 600 m/ 2.0 [tex]\mu[/tex]s = 9000 m/ 30 [tex]\mu[/tex]s

No??

-LD

The correct way to understand the equation is this. A *proper distance* is a distance between two points as measured in a frame in which the two points are at rest. Then the equation says that the distance between the two points as measured in any other frame is the proper distance divided by gamma.
In th emuon example, the 9000 m is the proper distance. In the other example, L is the length of the spaceship measured from Earth (in which frame the spaceship is in motion) therefore L is not the proper length. The proper length of the spaceship is the length of the spaceship measured in the frame of the spaceship (where it is at rest).

nrqed said:
The correct way to understand the equation is this. A *proper distance* is a distance between two points as measured in a frame in which the two points are at rest. Then the equation says that the distance between the two points as measured in any other frame is the proper distance divided by gamma.
In th emuon example, the 9000 m is the proper distance. In the other example, L is the length of the spaceship measured from Earth (in which frame the spaceship is in motion) therefore L is not the proper length. The proper length of the spaceship is the length of the spaceship measured in the frame of the spaceship (where it is at rest).

PERFECT! That was my confusion... now I have a fixed definition with which to apply to SR problems. Both proper time and proper LENGTH are the defintions which solve all such confusions! Dude, thanks a million! :)

-LD

Living_Dog said:
PERFECT! That was my confusion... now I have a fixed definition with which to apply to SR problems. Both proper time and proper LENGTH are the defintions which solve all such confusions! Dude, thanks a million! :)

-LD
You are welcome.

It *is* very confusing when the authors (or the teacher) does not make it crystal clear when one can divide by gamma and when one must multiply by gamma. If this is not carefully explained, it makes things extremely confusing. I am glad I could help.

Patrick

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in relativity where an object's length appears shorter when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs due to the effects of time dilation, where time appears to move slower for objects in motion. This causes the length of an object to appear shorter to an observer in a different frame of reference.

3. Which way does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs in the direction of the object's motion relative to the observer. This means that an object moving towards an observer will appear shorter in length, while an object moving away from an observer will appear longer.

4. Is length contraction a real phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction is a real phenomenon that has been confirmed through numerous experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

5. How does length contraction affect everyday life?

Length contraction has a negligible effect on everyday life, as it only becomes noticeable at extremely high speeds. However, it is important to understand for applications in modern technology, such as GPS systems, which rely on the principles of relativity to function accurately.