Can Isoamyl Acetate Create a Bee Army?

• Thread starter thunderfvck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Army
In summary, this chemical is a bee signal that attracts bees to a previously stung spot. The synthesis itself is kind of boring, and it wouldn't necessarily attract bees, just agitate them.
thunderfvck
Hi.
My class had done an experiment synthesizing isoamyl acetate, but MY class didn't actually get to do it. haa. You see the other classes in the same section did it but the power went out and we weren't able to do it. Anyways, that's enough fro mr. pointless. SO, as I recall from the outline isoamyl acetate was banana flavour or something. Very disappointing that I wasn't able to do the experiment. ANyway, I also read on the internet (off a particular organic chemistry site) that isoamyl acetate was a honey bee pheromone (at least I think it was a pheromone) that bees give off as a chemical signal when they're in danger. And it attracts more bees to the site, the site didn't mention anything about banana so I'm not sure whether or not I believe that it was this particular chemical. Anyway, maybe somebody could clear that up.
Assuming that this chemical is the bee signal, do you think that I could build some kind of bee army as a result. Not seriously, but you get the implication. Would I be able to summon the bees for my bidding?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
yeah it's used to attract bees to a previously stung spot, so if it's on your skin and there are a bunch of bees around, run :wink:.

also the synthesis itself is kind of boring so you didn't really miss much.

I remember this lab from my undergraduate days. I thought it smelled pretty good so I didn't wash it off when I spilled some on my hands. But I had forgotten why esters don't get used in the perfume industry. The oil on your skin is acidic enough to hydrolyze the ester back to the Fisher adducts, which in this case is isopentyl alcohol and acetic acid. It was a stinky ride home on the unfortunately crowded bus.

How close do the bees have to be?
How long does it take for the ester to decompose? Assuming it isn't on someones skin but is instead, let's say, scattered on the grass or something. Would it attract bees to the spot?

Originally posted by thunderfvck
How close do the bees have to be?
How long does it take for the ester to decompose? Assuming it isn't on someones skin but is instead, let's say, scattered on the grass or something. Would it attract bees to the spot?

From what I have read it is a panic pheromone, it wouldn't necessarily attract bees, just agitate them. On the skin it takes ten to twenty minutes to start stinking. Probably considerably longer on the grass. It's the same stuff that gives banana their taste/scent.

I see.
So my dreams of a bee army aren't looking very good.

1. What is isoamyl acetate?

Isoamyl acetate, also known as isopentyl acetate, is a chemical compound with the formula C7H14O2. It is a colorless liquid with a fruity, banana-like odor and is commonly used as a flavoring agent in foods and beverages.

2. How is isoamyl acetate related to bees?

Isoamyl acetate is a pheromone produced by bees, specifically the worker bees in a hive. It is responsible for the characteristic scent of a bee colony and is used to signal to other bees to follow a specific path or to gather together in a swarm.

3. Is isoamyl acetate harmful to bees or humans?

No, isoamyl acetate is not harmful to bees or humans at low concentrations. In fact, it is considered safe for consumption by the FDA and is commonly used in foods and beverages. However, at high concentrations, it can cause irritation to the skin and eyes, so proper safety precautions should be taken when handling it.

4. Can isoamyl acetate be used as a pesticide for bees?

No, isoamyl acetate is not effective as a pesticide for bees. While it is a pheromone that can attract bees, it does not have any pesticidal properties and will not harm or repel bees.

5. Is there any research on the potential uses of isoamyl acetate in agriculture?

Yes, there have been studies on the potential use of isoamyl acetate as a natural repellent for pests in agriculture. Some research has shown that it can be effective in repelling certain insect pests, but more research is needed to determine its efficacy and safety for widespread use in agriculture.