Quick question: Grade 12 stuff (Heat capacity)

In summary, for the chemistry lab to find the heat energy value, the first step is to calculate the heat energy gained by the water (Q), and the second step is to calculate the energy lost by the iron washer. The third step is to find the change in temperature of the iron washer, and this can be done by rearranging the equation using the heat capacity (c), mass, and heat energy (Q) lost. However, the last question asks for the temperature of the bunsen burner flame, which can be found by adding the change in temperature of the water and the change in temperature of the iron washer. The zeroth law of thermodynamics states that if two bodies are in thermal equilibrium with a third body, then
eekoz
Chemistry question: Grade 12 stuff (Heat energy)

So we're going to have a lab soon, and its goal is to find the heat energy value (Q). We're going to take a beaker filled with water, record its mass and initial temprature, and then bring a really hot iron washer inside and record its final temprature.

The first step is to calculate the heat energy the water gained, which is Q (The heat energy of the surroundings). Q = mcT, we have all the values. We're good on that part.
The second step is to calculate the energy the iron washer lost, that's just the negative of the first answer.
The third step is to find the change in temprature of the iron washer.. we have the heat capacity (c) of iron, mass, and heat energy (Q) lost, so it's easy to find the T value (re-arranging the equation).

However, the last question asks us to find the temprature of the bunsen burner flame. How do we do that? Any hints? Is it the same as the temprature change of the iron washer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
eekoz said:
However, the last question asks us to find the temprature of the bunsen burner flame. How do we do that? Any hints? Is it the same as the temprature change of the iron washer?

You heated the iron washer inside the hottest part of the bunsen flame for "a long time" right ? You have the change in temperature experienced by the washer after equilibriation with the water bath, and you've calculated the change in temperature whilst in the water bath. So what's the initial temp of the iron washer (just after withdrawing from the flame) ?

What does the zeroth law of thermodynamics state ?

One other subtle point is that radiant loss of heat from the iron washer is being disregarded. While it is in the flame, it will be negligible (since the environment is hotter than the washer), but once removed from the flame (in mid-air) and all the time in the water bath, it's losing a significant quantity of heat by radiation. I don't think the insulation used in this experiment can stop the radiant loss (did you silver the exterior of the beaker in addition to wrapping it up with air filled materials) ?

Curious3141 said:
You heated the iron washer inside the hottest part of the bunsen flame for "a long time" right ? You have the change in temperature experienced by the washer after equilibriation with the water bath, and you've calculated the change in temperature whilst in the water bath. So what's the initial temp of the iron washer (just after withdrawing from the flame) ?

What does the zeroth law of thermodynamics state ?
So what you're saying is, the bunsen flame's temprature is the change of temprature of the water + the rate of temprature of the washer?
I can calculate both, so I can just add them up to get the total change (AKA the temprature gained by the flame or in other words the temprature OF the flame?)Zeroth's law: Meaning #1: the law that if two bodies are in thermal equilibrium with a third body then the first two bodies are in thermal equilibrium with each other

We didn't study that yet, but I think I got it right. My mind is just really mixed up now, help me clarify this?

Thanks for the help!

eekoz said:
So what you're saying is, the bunsen flame's temprature is the change of temprature of the water + the rate of temprature of the washer?
I can calculate both, so I can just add them up to get the total change (AKA the temprature gained by the flame or in other words the temprature OF the flame?)

Zeroth's law: Meaning #1: the law that if two bodies are in thermal equilibrium with a third body then the first two bodies are in thermal equilibrium with each other

We didn't study that yet, but I think I got it right. My mind is just really mixed up now, help me clarify this?

Thanks for the help!

No, I don't get where you're bring "rate" into it. I'm simply saying that the temperature of the washer after heating in the flame would be equal or close to the temperature of the flame because thermal equilibriation would've occurred between washer and flame. Since you can measure the final temperature of the washer (which is the same as the final temperature of the water bath (since thermal equilibriation has occurred between washer and water) and you know the change of temperature the washer has undergone since being introduced into the water, you can compute the temperature of the washer just after the flaming has been done. That's the temperature of the flame.

It's easier to put it mathematically. Here Tfinal refers to the final common temperature of the water bath and washer, Tinitial, water refers to the starting temp of the water and Tinitial, washer refers to the hottest temp of the washer (which is the temp of the flame).

Then by Conservation of Energy, [tex]m_{water}c_{water}(T_{final} - T_{initial,water}) = m_{washer}c_{washer}(T_{initial,washer} - T_{final})[/tex]

most of which you've already figured out. Every quantity there is either given or measurable except for the [tex]T_{initial,washer}[/tex] which you have to find by algebra and this is the temp of the flame.

I've already mentioned some of the limitations of this simple approach - the inability to account for radiant losses, etc.

I was bringing up the zeroth law because it formalises the concept of temperature and its relation to thermal equilibriation. It's a deceptively simple concept which many people forget about.

assuming that iron had reached a temperature equilibrium with the flame and ignoring the cooling effects, the initial temperature of the iron would have been the temperature of the flame.

Why is it T(initial, washer) - T(final)?
Shouldn't it be T(final) - T(initial, washer) - in the conservation of energy equation that you posted.

eekoz said:
Why is it T(initial, washer) - T(final)?
Shouldn't it be T(final) - T(initial, washer) - in the conservation of energy equation that you posted.
Well, if there is a heat transfer, don't you think one of the objects (the washer) would have a higher initial temperature than the water?

What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity is measured by the ratio of the amount of heat energy transferred to the change in temperature of the substance.

What factors affect heat capacity?

The factors that affect heat capacity include the mass, specific heat capacity, and temperature of the substance.

What is the relationship between heat capacity and specific heat capacity?

Heat capacity is directly proportional to the specific heat capacity of a substance. This means that as the specific heat capacity increases, so does the heat capacity.

Why is heat capacity important?

Heat capacity is important in understanding and predicting how substances will respond to changes in temperature. It also helps in designing and optimizing systems that involve heat transfer and energy storage.