Integrating a Rational Function: x/(x^2 + 5x + 6)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate the function (x dx) / (x^2 + 5x + 6) and the use of techniques such as 'u' substitution and integration by parts. The conversation also mentions using a computer program, like Mathematica, to cheat and find the answer. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the user discovering the use of partial fractions to solve the integral.
revlvr357
hey guys, the function is...

(x dx) / (x^2 + 5x + 6)

please integrate it. please.

thanks so much,

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
As it says in the guidelines when you joined PF just now, we don't do your homework for you. If you post some work of your own and show us where you are having problems, we should be able to offer some hints to keep you going.

So, can you figure out a function f(x) that you could differentiate to get something like the function you want to ingegrate? What techniques have you learned about to help you put fractions into forms that are easier to integrate?

ok, well so far I've learned 'u' substitution and integration by parts.

if i use 'u' substitution, u most likely = x^2 + 5x + 6. the demoninator could be simplified to (x+2)(x+3), but i don't think that would help much. if you use the 'u' i first suggested, du/dx = (2x + 5).

i can't seem to see how to get the 2x+ 5 to work as my (x dx)

as for integration by parts, i hardly understand that as we went over that lightly and will come back to it later.

so, this is where I'm stuck.

please help.

Maybe check out the techniques being discussed about halfway down this tutorial page:

http://www.karlscalculus.org/calc11_4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, not going to lie, i read that entire page, and I'm still rather lost. seriously. i feel so stupid right now. i know I've done stuff like this before, but this is kill me.

can someone please give me a hint? just a hint?

Here's a hint -- cheat and plug the integral into Mathematica, and then look at the answer and differentiate it to see how it can become the integrand. Then think about what you would have to do with the integrand to get it into the original form of the question...

Mathematica said:
In[1]= Integrate[x/(x^2 + 5x + 6), x]

Out[1]= -2 Log[2 + x] + 3 Log[3 + x]

berkeman said:
Here's a hint -- cheat and plug the integral into Mathematica, and then look at the answer and differentiate it to see how it can become the integrand. Then think about what you would have to do with the integrand to get it into the original form of the question...

EDIT -- Oops, sorry for the potential confusion. In Mathematica, the "Log" function defaults to base e, hence it really is the ln() function. I never liked that about Mathematica. Obviously d ln(x) / dx = 1/x.

ok, well...i used your fist hint and i figured out it would be the natural log...
but anyway..

because of your hint, i was able to break the function into partial fractions and solve it for the answer mathematica spit out.

thank you very much.

matt

1. What is the purpose of integrating a function?

Integrating a function is the process of finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval of values. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems involving rates of change or accumulation.

2. How do you integrate a function?

To integrate a function, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The most commonly used method is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the integral of a function is equal to the area under its curve.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. In other words, differentiation is finding the slope of a curve, while integration is finding the area under the curve.

4. What are some real-life applications of integrating a function?

Integrating a function has various applications in real life, such as calculating the net displacement of an object from its velocity function, determining the total cost of a product from its rate of change, or finding the total amount of energy used over a period of time.

5. Can all functions be integrated?

No, not all functions can be integrated. Some functions have indefinite integrals, meaning they can be integrated to give an output, while others have no definite integral, making it impossible to integrate them. These types of functions are called non-integrable functions.