Effective Learning Strategies: Textbooks vs. Lecture Notes?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of learning, including reading and summarizing from textbooks, referring to lecture notes, and using additional resources such as more advanced textbooks. Some also mention the importance of doing practice problems and writing out derivations to solidify understanding. Some find it helpful to read the textbook before attending lectures, while others prefer to write their own notes and teach the material to themselves. Additional resources such as different textbooks are also mentioned as helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of the material.

how do you learn?

• i read and summarise my textbook.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • i read again the lecture notes.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • combination of 2 and 1.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • other.

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
how do you learn? through reading and summarizing from your textbook or by overlooking again at the lecture notes?

i use the former, and from the lecture notes i see what i should emphasize more on my reading the textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted other.

I do a combination of lecture notes and official textbook and other textbooks or lecture notes... with more emphasis on what I trust more and what I want to know. Often, I refer to a more advanced text as a supplement to my official text... e.g. refer to Jackson when studying from Purcell. Although the more advanced text is more difficult and may not be digestable at the time, it provides a roadmap as to what is important later on in my studies.

In addition to reading, it's helpful to write out detailed derivations and, of course, do problems.

I read through my textbook(s) and try to understand the material and, perhaps, read through a couple of example problems and attempt some myself.
So I voted "other."

I read the textbook when the prof hints that it would be uselful to read, or if there is something in the lecture notes that I don't quite understand. But usually I find that the textbook usually goes into either more depth than the prof or not enough, or that the prof focuses on different areas than the textbook. I always use the problems in the textbook and do them all, but as far as reading it I've never yet found it necessary except for english of course, and suprisingly enough math at times.

Depends, almost always I read through the text at least once. 2 of the 3 math professors I had this semester were not very good lecturers so there I focused on the text, sometimes reading sections twice. The other was a good lecturer so I looked at the notes here and there, and read the book for additional clarity.

I read the text before attending lecture. This gives you a baseline to what to expect from the lecture and allows you to get question answered that you had while reading the text. Then after the lecture I work through all the equations in the text making sure I can derive the exact result they get. Then I try and read through the text to get another overall, grand scheme of things picture of what is going on. It is a lot of work.

I generally don't look at my lectures notes after I take them down. I take a lot of them, but not for the sake of later revision. I find that I have a hard time understanding anything even slightly complicated when it is stated verbally, especially if it involves any sort of mathematical statement. Writing it down just makes things "click" for me. The act of writing the notes also seems to help solidify my memory of the lecture, and keeps me from spacing out without noticing.

After that, I read the text, paying attention to the points the instructor stressed in the lecture.

i try to work things out for myself. last xmas it helepd me a lot to sit down for a few days and write a 15 page textbook on linear algebra covering all the main points through jordan forms. when I can put something down in a few words that covers a lot of gropund i feel i have organized it well in my brain, and may be able to remember it and use it.

I often learn by writing notes on a topic and trying to teach it. I may consult many books, and it is exciting to find one that really has some insight, like goursat, or arnol'd, or jacobson, or courant, or apostol, or hurewicz, or bott/tu, or milnor, or cartan.

What are the benefits of using textbooks or lecture notes?

Textbooks and lecture notes provide a comprehensive and organized overview of a subject, making it easier for students to understand and retain information. They also often include practice problems and examples to reinforce learning.

How can I effectively use textbooks or lecture notes to study?

To effectively use textbooks or lecture notes, it is important to actively read and engage with the material. This can include taking notes, summarizing key points, and actively thinking about how the information connects to other concepts.

Are textbooks or lecture notes always accurate and up-to-date?

While textbooks and lecture notes are generally reliable sources of information, they may not always be completely accurate or up-to-date. It is important to critically evaluate the information and seek out additional sources when necessary.

Can I use textbooks or lecture notes as my only source of information for a subject?

While textbooks and lecture notes can provide a great foundation for learning, it is often beneficial to supplement with other sources such as academic articles, videos, or real-world examples. This can provide a more well-rounded and in-depth understanding of the subject.

How can I find the best textbooks or lecture notes for my needs?

When choosing textbooks or lecture notes, it is important to consider factors such as the author's expertise, the edition and publication date, and reviews from other students or experts. It may also be helpful to consult with your instructor for recommendations.