What is the role of accretion discs in proving the existence of black holes?

In summary, accretion discs have been found to be one of the most convincing pieces of evidence for the existence of black holes. This is supported by various studies and observations, particularly in regards to quasars. For a more simplified explanation of accretion discs, one can refer to the Astronomy Notes website.
StatusX
Homework Helper
I'm doing a project on accretion disks, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest something interesting relating to their observation that I could talk about. One thing I remember reading was that accretion discs are one of the most compelling means of proving the existence of black holes. Is this true, and if so, why? Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
StatusX said:
I'm doing a project on accretion disks, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest something interesting relating to their observation that I could talk about.

There are a lot of things one could talk about, particularly as concerns quasars. Could you be a bit more specific?

One thing I remember reading was that accretion discs are one of the most compelling means of proving the existence of black holes.

You may be thinking about this:

http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0107387"

Last edited by a moderator:
This site is a more simplified summary if you're looking for something more generic (basic). About 2/3 down the page for accretion disk info.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/evolutn/s13.htm

1. What is an accretion disc?

An accretion disc is a structure made up of gas and dust that orbits around a central object, such as a star or a black hole. It is formed when matter is pulled in by the strong gravitational force of the central object.

2. How are accretion discs observed?

Accretion discs can be observed using a variety of telescopes, such as optical, infrared, and radio telescopes. These telescopes capture different wavelengths of light emitted by the accretion disc, allowing scientists to study its properties and behavior.

3. What can accretion disc observations tell us?

Accretion disc observations can provide valuable information about the physical processes happening within the disc, such as the temperature, density, and velocity of the material. They can also reveal the presence of objects, such as planets or companion stars, within the disc.

4. How do scientists use accretion disc observations to study black holes?

Accretion discs are often found around black holes, and studying their properties can help us understand the behavior and properties of these mysterious objects. By analyzing the light emitted from the accretion disc, scientists can estimate the mass and spin of the black hole, as well as the strength of its gravity.

5. What are some current research topics related to accretion disc observations?

Some current research topics include studying the behavior of accretion discs in different environments, such as in binary star systems or in active galactic nuclei. Scientists are also interested in understanding the role of magnetic fields in shaping and influencing the behavior of accretion discs.