Residue of z/cos(z): Explanation & Calculation

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary: Laurent series, is it possible to find the coefficient of z^-1 using some method.In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a residue, which is the coefficient of the -1 power in the Laurent series. It is mentioned that when using long division to find the series for z/cos(z), the series starts with z, so there is no z^-1 term. However, at z = n(pi)/2 where n is odd, there is a non-zero residue for z/sin(z). It is then explained that in general, if f(z) = P(z)/Q(z) where P and Q are analytic at z_0, P(z_0) != 0
pivoxa15
The definition of a residue is the coefficient of the -1 power in the Laruent series. If I do z/cos(z) by long division, I get a series starting with z so z^-1 never occurs hence has a coefficient of 0. But why does it have a non zero residue, namely z/sin(z) at each z when cos(z)=0?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
But why does it have a non zero residue, namely z/sin(z) at each z when cos(z)=0?
I don't understand what you mean with this, but at z = 0, z/cos(z) has a 0 residue indeed...

The residue occur only when cos(z)=0 so no residue exist when z=0 as cos(0)=1.

z/sin(z) is not a residue, it is a function.

I should have said residue of z/cos(z) when z=n(pie)/2 where n is odd.

In general, if f(z) = P(z)/Q(z) where P and Q are analytic at z_0 , P(z_0) != 0, and Q(z) has a simple zero at z_0, then Res(f; z_0) = P(z_0)/Q'(z_0). For you, f(z) = z/cosz and cosz = 0 iff z = k*pi + pi/2, k = 0, +/- 1, +/- 2, ..., so that Res(f; z_0 = k*pi + pi/2) = (k*pi + pi/2)/(-sin(k*pi + pi/2)) for k = 0, +/- 1, +/-2, ...

If you don't have this result, you can prove it easily. Note since f has a simple pole at z_0 and Q(z_0) = 0, Res(f; z_0) = lim z->z_0 (z - z_0)*P(z)/Q(z) = lim z->z_0 P(z)/((Q(z) - Q(z_0))/(z - z_0)) = P(z_0)/Q'(z_0).

ircdan said:
In general, if f(z) = P(z)/Q(z) where P and Q are analytic at z_0 , P(z_0) != 0, and Q(z) has a simple zero at z_0, then Res(f; z_0) = P(z_0)/Q'(z_0). For you, f(z) = z/cosz and cosz = 0 iff z = k*pi + pi/2, k = 0, +/- 1, +/- 2, ..., so that Res(f; z_0 = k*pi + pi/2) = (k*pi + pi/2)/(-sin(k*pi + pi/2)) for k = 0, +/- 1, +/-2, ...

If you don't have this result, you can prove it easily. Note since f has a simple pole at z_0 and Q(z_0) = 0, Res(f; z_0) = lim z->z_0 (z - z_0)*P(z)/Q(z) = lim z->z_0 P(z)/((Q(z) - Q(z_0))/(z - z_0)) = P(z_0)/Q'(z_0).

What about my long division and getting z as the first term in the series of z/cos(z)? Hence no z^-1 term?

But are you using the correct expansion? The Laurent series at 0 tells you nothing about the residues at poles away from zero (which is where all the poles are)

matt grime said:
But are you using the correct expansion? The Laurent series at 0 tells you nothing about the residues at poles away from zero (which is where all the poles are)

You are correct but how do you know I expanded the Laurent series about z=0?

Even if I exand the Laurent series with centre at the first 0 which is pie/2, after the long division, I still get a series starting with z. hence no z^-1 term.

pivoxa15 said:
You are correct but how do you know I expanded the Laurent series about z=0?

it was probable from the way you wrote your reply.
Even if I exand the Laurent series with centre at the first 0 which is pie/2, after the long division, I still get a series starting with z. hence no z^-1 term.

Then you have expanded it incorrectly: one object has a pole the other does not. (I'm presuming you have no other negative powers of z).

matt grime said:
it was probable from the way you wrote your reply.

Then you have expanded it incorrectly: one object has a pole the other does not. (I'm presuming you have no other negative powers of z).

Do you think it is feasible to do by hand? Since we have z/(a series involving terms like z^n with n from 1 to infinity) it seems difficult.

Even consider a simpler finite expression. How would you isolate the z^-1 term (that is find the coefficient of z^-1) in this: 4z/(4z-2-z^2) ?

I realize there is a very simple method of doing this problem given by ircdan but I like to see how this method turn out. That is why I posted here instead of the homework section.

Last edited:
Suppose that [tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_n(z-a)^n}[/tex] then the residue of f(z) at z=a is a-1, the coefficient of 1/(z-a) (it is not the coeff of 1/z for every residue, only for the residue at z=0 is that true).

This problem of finding the coefficient of z^-1 in the Laurent series seems impossible by dividing the Laurent series alone. The residue obviously exists but how do you access it? Could it be the case that the z^1 term exists but is impossible to access? The series seems always to start with z and goes upwards in order.

matt grime said:

If I expand cos(z) about 0, and use that expansion as my Laurent series, wouldn't that be okay because this series is convergent on the whole plane - including pie/2, which is the first zero. So I can do z/(series of cos(z) about 0)? This is because if I sub pie/2 into z, I would get (pie/2)/0 - which is desired as that shows there is a pole at pie/2.

No, that is not acceptable. Read Benorin's post. The residue at a pole, w, is the coefficient of (z-w)^{-1} in the Laurent expansion *at w* (and stop spelling pi with an e!).

I have finally found the series expansion of cos(z) about pi/2.

cos(z) = (1<=n<infinity)sigma((-1)^n(z-pi/2)^(2n-1)/(2n-1)!)

To find Res(f(z),z=pi/2), f(z)=z/cos(z) using a Laurent expansion, I figured long division of z/(series of cos(z) about pi/2). To find the coefficients of 1/(z-pi/2), I would gather all the (z-pi/2)^2 terms (which would be infinitey many) and do z divided by all these terms to get answers/terms which are of the form a/(z-pi/2) where 'a' is an arbitary constant. Is this correct? If so than the trouble with this method is that I will never accumulate all the a/(z-pi/2) terms because there is an inifinite number of them. Although this series (of a/(z-pi/2) terms) should converge because a finite residue exists for this function so I would need to calculate what this series (of a/(z-pi/2) terms) converges to.

Last edited:

1. What is the residue of z/cos(z)?

The residue of z/cos(z) is a complex number that represents the value of the function at a singularity, which is a point where the function is not defined.

2. How is the residue of z/cos(z) calculated?

The residue of z/cos(z) can be calculated using the formula Res(f,z0) = lim(z->z0) (z-z0)*f(z), where z0 is the singularity of the function. In this case, z0 = n*pi where n is an integer. So, the residue of z/cos(z) is equal to (-1)^n.

3. What is the significance of the residue of z/cos(z)?

The residue of z/cos(z) is important in complex analysis as it helps in evaluating contour integrals, determining the poles and essential singularities of a function, and finding the behavior of a function at a singularity.

4. Can the residue of z/cos(z) ever be zero?

Yes, the residue of z/cos(z) can be zero at certain singularities. For example, at z = 0, the residue is 0 as cos(0) = 1 and any multiple of 2*pi does not change the value of cos(z). At other singularities, the residue will have a non-zero value.

5. How is the residue of z/cos(z) used in real-world applications?

The residue of z/cos(z) is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems involving complex functions, such as in signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the calculation of residues of multiple integrals and in the evaluation of infinite series.