How to design a 3 phase induction motor

In summary, you need to find the work done per unit time, calculate the pitch and speed of the fan, and determine the force x distance / time = power. From there, you can calculate the torque of the motor.
copresh1
I am trying to do a project on electrical engineering which involves design of electrical circuitry for a soot blower arrangement.i am having problems in designing a motor( 3phase induction motor). i know how to calculate the rotor parameters,losses, efficiency,etc. i am told that i have to find the load and load torque on the motor. how do i do that and how i proceed from there?.i would appreciate if anyone can help me in this.

Physics news on Phys.org
copresh1 said:
I am trying to do a project on electrical engineering which involves design of electrical circuitry for a soot blower arrangement.i am having problems in designing a motor( 3phase induction motor). i know how to calculate the rotor parameters,losses, efficiency,etc. i am told that i have to find the load and load torque on the motor. how do i do that and how i proceed from there?.i would appreciate if anyone can help me in this.
To find the load on the motor (it doesn't matter what kind of motor it is) you need to find the work done per unit time. In this case, it is the work done in blowing soot, I should think. Determine the pitch and speed of the fan and the volume (and mass) of air/soot it moves per rotation. From that you can determine the force x distance / time = power.

To produce that power, you will need to factor in the efficiency of an electric motor, which is typically 75-80%.

The torque of the motor will depend on how it is connected to the load. If it is directly connected (same speed as fan) the torque is related to the fan speed:
[tex]Power = \tau\omega = 2\pi\tau f [/tex] where f is the speed in revolutions per unit time

AM

Last edited:
there is no fan invovled here( sorry i shud have mentioned)the cleansing media is steam and directed directly from a steam manifold.how do i go ahead?

copresh1 said:
there is no fan invovled here( sorry i shud have mentioned)the cleansing media is steam and directed directly from a steam manifold.how do i go ahead?
You have not told us what the motor does. You have to figure out what work the motor is doing per unit time. If you can describe the set-up we might be able to help you.

AM

1. What is the basic principle behind designing a 3 phase induction motor?

The basic principle behind designing a 3 phase induction motor is electromagnetic induction. This means that when a current is passed through the stator windings, a rotating magnetic field is produced, which induces currents in the rotor. This interaction between the rotating magnetic field and induced currents creates a torque, causing the rotor to rotate.

2. What factors are considered when designing a 3 phase induction motor?

Some important factors to consider when designing a 3 phase induction motor include the size and weight of the motor, the operating voltage and frequency, the desired speed and torque, and the efficiency and power factor.

3. How are the stator and rotor windings designed in a 3 phase induction motor?

The stator windings are usually designed as three-phase windings, with equal and evenly spaced coils. The rotor windings, also known as squirrel-cage windings, consist of bars or conductors placed in slots on the rotor. The number of bars and their size and shape determine the characteristics of the motor.

4. What are the different types of rotors used in 3 phase induction motors?

The two most common types of rotors used in 3 phase induction motors are squirrel-cage rotors and wound rotor (slip ring) rotors. Squirrel-cage rotors are simpler and more rugged, while wound rotor rotors allow for external resistance to be added, providing better control over speed and torque.

5. How is efficiency improved in 3 phase induction motor design?

To improve efficiency, 3 phase induction motors are designed with optimized stator and rotor geometries, efficient materials, and reduced air gaps between the stator and rotor. Proper selection of the number of poles and the use of variable frequency drives can also improve efficiency by matching the motor's speed to the load requirements.